first 16mm b+w - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Newcomb View Post
So let's say I've never shot on film before and I wanted to give it a try. What's a pretty inexpensive way to go about doing it? What is starting prices to get into a decent used 16mm camera, or should I just go to super 8 or something?
There's a few choices in 16mm. I personally would prolly go with the Bolex H16 as mentioned. Or the Arriflex S or the S/B. I like the H16 cause it's a wind up (no batteries) and it has multiple frame rates so you can undercrank it, or over crank it as high as 64 fps for some cool slow motion.

The "older" Bolex H16s cost between $300 and $900 maybe. The "newer" ones (called Rex4 and Rex5) are going to cost as high as $1,700 due to supply/demand and I have heard they have a better viewfinder which makes them more sought after. On top of this you're going to need a good lens.

If you want to just try any old 16mm out and play around you can get a Krasnogorsk K-3 with a cheap lens off Ebay for $250 or so. These are more for home movie type stuff and not really for serious film making. I have heard the quality on these is serious hit/miss, where the Bolex are nice Swiss made the the Arriflex are built like tanks.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #17
Major Player

the one i shot with was a beam splitter reflex, so you are seeing through the lens, but its about half the actual light, so when looking through the viewfinder it looks dark, its def not wysiwyg, but that is what a light meter is for

it was non-sync of course, so even if you try to match up in post, it will occasionally be off

i shot my final on one as well and i am currently editing it

i like the bolex more than the arri-s because its somewhat auto loading

super-8 cameras can be found at antique stores and ebay

i like color super-8, especially if well shot, check out this well done super-8
http://www.perpetualartmachine.com/i...&g2_itemId=778
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Harmon View Post
the one i shot with was a beam splitter reflex, so you are seeing through the lens, but its about half the actual light, so when looking through the viewfinder it looks dark, its def not wysiwyg, but that is what a light meter is for

it was non-sync of course, so even if you try to match up in post, it will occasionally be off

i shot my final on one as well and i am currently editing it

i like the bolex more than the arri-s because its somewhat auto loading

super-8 cameras can be found at antique stores and ebay

i like color super-8, especially if well shot, check out this well done super-8
http://www.perpetualartmachine.com/i...&g2_itemId=778
Thanks for the info. How much is the proccessing and telecine for a roll of daylight load for the 16mm?
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #19
Major Player

depends on if its negative or reversal, negative you'll have to have a workprint made, telecine is usually where the most costs happen, unless you have lots and lots of footage, its usually like 50 - 75 minimum
i went here, and they did great stuff

www.cinelab.com
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #20
Major Player

Cool. Any tips you can give me on shooting with these cameras would be helpful.

I just won a Rex4 on Ebay for under $900. I'm shocked. I wonder why nobody bid on it really? They usually go for about $1,200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330107521744

I'll prolly send it somewhere and have it looked over and serviced. Know of a place?

Here's one for $1,700 and its one of the rare Rex4's that don't even have a flat base. It has an flat base adapter on it that does not even come with the sale.

http://www.visualproducts.com/storeP...Cat=17&Cat2=32
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #21
Major Player

maybe i was wrong about the camera i shot with, it looks exactly like the one you won, congrats
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Harmon View Post
maybe i was wrong about the camera i shot with, it looks exactly like the one you won, congrats

That's a Rex4. At least it says it is and it looks like one to me. :)
Adam Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work