DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   putting up my work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/89692-putting-up-my-work.html)

Bryan Wilkat March 23rd, 2007 08:40 AM

putting up my work?

hey guys, i've got some stuff i'd like to show you but i dont like dealing with video hosting sites like youtube, myspace etc... due to their limitations.

i was wondering if you could tell me what's involved in getting my own domain name and website? i just want to have something simple, like a big white page with quicktime videos that would load and play right there in the window. how do i go about doing this? where do i get my domain name, what company should i go with, is it easy to upload my stuff and how do i get the video on there, html code? my extent of pagebuilding is geocities crappy builder and myspace html codes which dont really get you very far...

anyone got any answers for me? i'd appreciate anything you can tell me, or maybe even you have some links to previous threads i didnt see about this stuff.

thanks in advance,

-bryan

Benjamin Hill March 23rd, 2007 08:47 AM

Network solutions

Bryan,

Take a look at www.networksolutions.com

I'll recommend this site for what you need. Good luck

Bryan Wilkat March 23rd, 2007 09:10 AM

thank ben(can i call you ben?), i'll check it out

Bryan Wilkat March 23rd, 2007 02:41 PM

kinda pricey....any other suggestions?

anyone had any experience with 1and1.com or netfirms?

Benjamin Hill March 23rd, 2007 07:20 PM

Bryan, what do you consider "pricey"? NetSol has many options. I pay $15 or so a month for shared hosting and a bare-bones website. Don't know of anything cheaper with the same DIY functionality. Maybe someone else does.

I think that for what they cost, sites like YouTube and iFilm are great...

Bryan Wilkat March 23rd, 2007 09:38 PM

well, i looked around network solutions page, and i didn't really think that those prices made sense for what they were offering. Netfirms, on the other hand seems to have prices that are too good to be true!
i also need to make sure that the hosting site i go with is mac compatible, some of the hosting service i noticed only offer windows or linux services :(

but i'm still clueless as to how i'd go about getting a quicktime streaming video on my future page. ..anyone?

Benjamin Hill March 24th, 2007 12:18 AM

<<i didn't really think that those prices made sense for what they were offering>>

Well, for a guy like myself who works with Macs, has no HTML knowledge and just wants a website they can easily modify and put QuickTime videos & more on, it is a pretty good deal.

If you find something cheaper and better please share your info. Good luck

Sean Gillane March 24th, 2007 12:56 AM

I use hostrocket.com

I pay $5 a month (you pay in a lump sum for a two year period) and have unlimited bandwidth and tons of storage space.

I know a little html but use dreamweaver mostly and it's worked out well for me. I don't know what they have as far as premade sites you can just edit for your own needs, but I've found their customer service to be pretty good and respond fast.

Oh yeah, and I'm also on a Mac and haven't had any issues because of that.

Sean Gillane March 24th, 2007 01:00 AM

Oh and as far as 1and1.com goes:

I used them for a few years because they had a free offer when they started. They were alright but their user interface isn't as intuitive (especially for people that aren't knowledgable about web stuff) as it should be. Again, hostrocket's is a bit better.

That said, I still buy the domain name from 1and1.com as they charge a lot less per year than hostrocket.

Hope that helps.

-

Bryan Wilkat March 26th, 2007 12:36 AM

thanks guys! i appreciate your help,

i'll check out this hotrocket you speak of..