My Parody of "24" (shot with XH-A1) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Smart, Barry...very smart production.

I really enjoyed it...and sadly will now be wasting/investing more time on your other films!

And thanks too for the breakdown on the filming schedule and crewing - I would have guessed at longer, but I guess you've got a talented crew who know pretty much what they are doing.

In terms of workflow, how much time did you invest in writing/preparing and then editing? It would be good to get a feel for how much time you are investing in each shoot.

I'm usually very organised on a shoot - but that comes as a result of several weeks of part-time preparation.If anything, I'm maybe guilty of trying to get too much shot in a day. My biggest log-jam is editing - and clients changing their minds!
Sean Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #17
Major Player

Wow, Sean, I'm honored to inspire your first post - welcome to the board. It is a great place. And certainly I'd love to be responsible for you wasting time :). Thanks so much for the positive feedback. Are you going to post anything?

Writing/preparing time is - frankly - too little. I probably banged this one out in 4 hours or so, and then did some minor tweaks but no real re-writing. Doing the show weekly is a big time-suck to be sure, and this particular shoot came a week earlier than I wanted it to because of actor scheduling, so I had to write and prep three scripts in the week leading up to it (episodes 17-19). We are going to take a break so that I can get ahead of that curve. I also need more general pre-production work in terms of shot-lists and such... we basically go in with nothing but a vague production outline in my brain. We do have one night of actor rehearsal for the four scripts of the weekend (though this time it was three).

Editing for a normal episodes is about eight hours, and one more for sound mix, maybe one more for color correction. For this one it was definitely longer, but I'm not sure how much because I wasn't there for all of it. Kevin Good did it... he also spent a lot of time on the intro graphics and others. We scored it out together in about four hours. We are still tweaking the color correction, because it is playing much darker on PCs than we'd like it to. Updates coming.

Yes, I do have a talented crew, and we've worked together a lot. We've shot 24 episodes of the show in seven different weekends. The crew varies a little, but we have a core group that has commincates very well and we know the space extremely well, which helps a lot. We also just work fast, because we have to. It helps that the actors are very talented and they are almost never a time-suck. They nail their lines in one or two takes and we go on.

Thanks again, and let me know if there's anything else... I can write about production all day long, lol.
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Absolutely hilarious, I don't even watch the show and I could appreciate that. Great taste in comedy and very well done! Perhaps you should continue?
Chris C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #19
Trustee

Fantastic Stuff

Barry,

I'm totally digging this show. I've started watching the episodes from the beginning now. I really like the 4 principal talent.

Question. If you don't mind me asking. Are you making money off of this yet? And if so, how? If not, then what is the marketing plan? I understand if you don't want to share the business aspect stuff.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Best parody I've seen. Well done! Also good to see the XH-A1 in action other than test clips!
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #21
Major Player

One of the better shorts I've seen actually. Good style emulation and lighting.
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #22
Major Player

Hey all,

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Just a note that we finally got a color-corrected version on-line, and it helps a lot. Also, it is playing double-sized on the Buddy Jackson MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/buddyjack

Note that this is stretched, not higher resolution - it still looks decent, except the text. We are working on a high-res quicktime to upload also.

The regular sized version plays on the web site:

http://www.buddyjackon.com

Note that the next two episodes are on-line also. "G. Stimpson Erdogan" is our most visually interesting episode so far. It is a celelbration of high-geekdom.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work