DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Newbie - need FEEDBACK on my MUSIC VIDEO (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/90808-newbie-need-feedback-my-music-video.html)

Adam Shaw April 5th, 2007 06:00 PM

Newbie - need FEEDBACK on my MUSIC VIDEO

Hi everyone,

My name is Adam and I'm pretty new to DV shooting and editing. I got into it while trying to make some music videos for my band. I've been using a Sony DCR-TRV22 for shooting and Final Cut Express for editing...turns out I like editing a lot more than shooting...I like having to take a whole bunch of footage and figure out how to put it all together in an interesting way.

ANYWAY, my band just made a new video, and I'd be eager for some feedback. This isn't our normal type of music, we made it especially for a "Tax Rap" contest on YouTube (so if you like it, please go ahead and vote for it. :) )

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/contest/TheTaxRap?goto=195

Thanks, let me know what you think (and our previous video is there too if you wanna take a look at that as well.)

= adam =

Benjamin Hill April 5th, 2007 07:09 PM

I think the video and the song are hilarious. Like the sense of a humour and knack for editing there...I wasn't really concerned with what camera you used, etc. (a good thing). The girl looks a little uncomfortable on camera but the glasses guy (you?) is funny. Got my vote.

regards,

Ken Diewert April 5th, 2007 07:17 PM

Adam,

Thumbs Up. Funny and entertaining.

Pretty damn good for a first attempt.

Steven Gotz April 5th, 2007 07:24 PM

Very good job. I am not a fan of rap music, however your comedy made that irrelevant. Good luck with this.

Jerry Porter April 5th, 2007 07:26 PM

really well done and very funny. It's would be a great spot (commercial) if it was :30 I would cut it down to several :30 and send them to turbo tax. I have seen much worse on TV lately. Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris C. Collins April 5th, 2007 10:09 PM

I was going to enter in this, but unfortunately I had to go out of town and me and my friends couldn't film it anymore.

Good luck in the contest!

Adam Shaw April 5th, 2007 11:20 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for all the positive feedback. The goal was to just keep it as funny and entertaining as possible at all times...it sounds like we succeeded.

This is actually the second music video I've done (we're not really a rap band, but rapping was part of the contest so...). Here's a link to our first one (this one suffers a little more from the youtube compression):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-1C8YWmkk

The only problem now is I think I'm becoming a bit addicted to making videos...oh well, there's always room for another hobby.

Thanks.

= adam =

Sean Gillane April 5th, 2007 11:40 PM

Heh, I've seen this actually. My buddy is in Red Pony Clock and you posted it to their myspace. I would pretty much buy whatever product this was a commercial for if I bought things based on commercials.

Vanilla Ice!

Chris C. Collins April 6th, 2007 10:36 AM

I didn't quite like the Piccolo video. It was too repetitive. But rolling in chairs is fun I guess.

Adam Shaw April 6th, 2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Gillane (Post 654910)
Heh, I've seen this actually. My buddy is in Red Pony Clock and you posted it to their myspace. I would pretty much buy whatever product this was a commercial for if I bought things based on commercials.

Vanilla Ice!

Ah yes, Red Pony Clock is one of our favorite local bands. We've played with them a couple times. Small world!

Word.

Adam Shaw April 6th, 2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris C. Collins (Post 655176)
I didn't quite like the Piccolo video. It was too repetitive. But rolling in chairs is fun I guess.

Yeah, I think that since it was our first video, I didn't want to try to do something which required too many different elaborate setups. It was more like "clean out the room, set up some lights, press record, and start rolling!". The YouTube compression turns it into a bit of a constantly-blurry mess which makes it look even more same-y.

Still, thanks for taking a look!

= adam =

Benjamin Hill April 6th, 2007 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=
The only problem now is I think I'm becoming a bit addicted to making videos...[/QUOTE]

Why is this a problem? You're good at it. It would be too bad if you didn't keep making videos. BTW, I wouldn't use "newbie" to refer to yourself, unless you're deliberately trying to lower people's expectations...I saw the other video it was also entertaining & original. Look forward to more from you in the future.

Adam Shaw April 7th, 2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill (Post 655440)
Why is this a problem? You're good at it. It would be too bad if you didn't keep making videos. BTW, I wouldn't use "newbie" to refer to yourself, unless you're deliberately trying to lower people's expectations...I saw the other video it was also entertaining & original. Look forward to more from you in the future.

Hey thanks Benjamin, I really appreciate it.

It's really only a "problem" of finding the time to do it...I have a lot of creative hobbies and always feel that I don't have time to do them all...and now I've caught the video bug as well. I'll just have to fit it in!

Yeah, I really only used the word "newbie" in the literal sense of "I am actually new to this and i feel like there's a lot I still need to learn".

Anyway, I'm feeling particularly inspired now...time to start planning some new videos!

= adam =