Flight 208 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #16
Tourist

I'm so new that this that I almost shouldn't be commenting, but I agree with the comments regarding the overall story line. At least with this movie, you've gained some experience with doing voice-overs and getting fairly good footage, but I wouldn't spend all that time on creating such a pretty website - at least not focused on that one video anyway.

Would it be a good idea to be a little less focused on a full production? I think that's what I'm planning on initially since I know that I'd waste my time and efforts if I were to try and gather up actors and come up with a real script at this point.

Last edited by Laurie Hamilton; April 9th, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
Laurie Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #17
Major Player

Nick

I know you are a very busy man, but if you have some spare time,
please read the following post under THE TOTEM POLL by Marco Wagner.

" The passion,The Pain, The Production."

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Van Deventer View Post
I know you are a very busy man, but if you have some spare time,
please read the following post under THE TOTEM POLL by Marco Wagner.

" The passion,The Pain, The Production."

Herman.
Thanks Herman, I wrote that as a reminder to myself as well. It's for those times when I'm wondering what the heck I'm doing in a dingy boiler room at 2am filming -only to have the footage come out like total crap when viewing the next day, lol.

Nick - Be hard, but be humble too. You're in a position that some would wish for -being that young and having today's technology...
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
Thanks Herman, I wrote that as a reminder to myself as well. It's for those times when I'm wondering what the heck I'm doing in a dingy boiler room at 2am filming -only to have the footage come out like total crap when viewing the next day, lol.

Nick - Be hard, but be humble too. You're in a position that some would wish for -being that young and having today's technology...
I read that. It's great advice. Thanks for writing it.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #20
Trustee

No problem, now on to flaming your first movie, lol nah, just kidding.

Flight208

Aside from what has already been said I can give you this:

1. Practice enoding for Google Video or YouTube -both have their issues (heck I'm still learning). If someone is going to watch 20mins of anything on the web -they will more than likely have high speed allowing you larger file sizes. Some transitions just suck when converted by these online sites. You'll probably find plenty of workflows on this site.

2. The sound for dialog felt a bit, uhm, narrative almost or like a kung fu film where they had to dub english voices in. It was easy to tell the voice overs. Either add some filters in post to make it sound like they're outside or get boom setup.

3. The story itself has been done so many times in so many ways -I think the best was "Alive" (IMO) or maybe "Castaway" (save the lengthy Wilson scenes though). Plane crashes, someone survives, they get saved. In reality when big planes crash hardly anyone ever survives. If they do survive it's usually not good enough to warrant a whole movie. This may sound stupid but it falls in line with "another one of these movies" to some people. That's when you lose them.

Now what about a short that covers the initial plane damage, the passengers realization, and then the thoughts/actions of the soon to be crash victims-then the crash as the climax and end! My point, the difference between a good short and a bad short lies in the script, actors, and story first and foremost THEN all the rest. Try to be as original as possible, it may be hard, but that's what stands out in a crowd of millions. It's also what makes me revise a script for a solid 6 months now! LOL. I cringe everytime a new movie comes out and an idea I have prepared is exploited to the point where I'd be the one "copying" :-)

4. Pat yourself on the back for having the courage to come on here and ask for feedback. Learn from it, embrace it. It may be in-your-face at times but that is the beauty of opinions. You are ahead of this game should you continue to play for many years to come.

PS - I thought you did a decent job on the plane, the crash wasn't as good, but the plane didn't look like a cutout, so not bad. I agree with the others, sound would've been your better friend for that opening sequence.
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
Pat yourself on the back for having the courage to come on here and ask for feedback.
key words... Nick, you're brave to put your work up here, because I think sometimes comments (not just for your work but others) can become hypercritical. I really thought it was very complete.

A couple of points; you've completed a lengthy movie story, from start to finish, with special effects. That's awesome. I'm multiple times your age, and I haven't done that yet. Well done.

- Most of this is shot without sound (i.e. MOS), and it's difficult to have looped lengthy conversations look convincing unless you film them carefully.
- To sustain something this long, there should be at least some kind of character development or subplot.
- This is a relatively long "short", so you need to look into an appropriate story arc - millions of screenwriting books cover this area.
- Again, in terms of time, it's too short to be called "feature" length and a wee bit too long for a fictional short. It's arguably about the right length for a 30 minute TV slot. Bottom line, have a target market, otherwise fewer people will get to see your work.

Very impressive - wish I was turning out movies like this when I was your age...

Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn View Post
To sustain something this long, there should be at least some kind of character development or subplot.
- This is a relatively long "short", so you need to look into an appropriate story arc
Originally this was supposed to be a video podcast that came in eight different episodes that were about five minutes long. I put them together because I couldn't find a really effective way to deliver the video and because I didn't want to continue making new episodes (the original plan).
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Royer View Post
Originally this was supposed to be a video podcast that came in eight different episodes that were about five minutes long. I put them together because I couldn't find a really effective way to deliver the video and because I didn't want to continue making new episodes (the original plan).
I hear ya'

We did that with Redneck Planet, originally it was supposed to be 15 minute webisodes but it is hard to keep a whole crew hot on a non-paying project over and over again. We ended up putting it all together as one 37 minute "Episode Zero". Now we are just doing misc. random redneck skits when that crew is together and in the mood, usually once a year.
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Nick

Every filmmaker is entitled to a bunch of bad movies. Chalk it up to a learning experience and keep on going. Like many have said just practice and be true to your vision. And I applaud your age im sure there are alot of people telling you the same stuff because they have a whole slew of not so great movies that they have made...some are nicer that others about how they feel about your film but honestly I would rather learn from other artists and filmmakers on the boards as most people dont get what we do. So the advice...make movies..make a ton of them and read read read and post them and have fun doing it. Take care...oh and try really hard not to take any of it personally....making movies is an art and as soon as you start your are subject to criticism. Ok now I'm done.
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #25
Regular Crew

man times have changed. I wish i even knew the process of how to make a film at 13 yrs,

Im 33 and have worked with crew people who canont even handle the work involved or time that needs to be invested, the fact you finsihed what you started is all that maters as one post metioned above you have plenty of time to practice.

if you surround yourself with people as dedicated to film as you are now, you will have surpassed all of us here by the time you hit 20, and you can come back and teach us a thing or two.

for one stay on this forum theres alot of great info here and good feedback, ive learn something new everytime I pop on this site, its great forum.

Keep up the good work and never give up.
Pete Mander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #26
New Boot

Nicely done Nick

13 years old?
Nicely done Nick!
You are an amazing young man.
Don't stop now.
And go get that HD you wanted too.
Van Cleave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #27
Major Player

Honestly I have to disagree with Van. Don't go out and buy an HD cam just yet. The HD market is really out of whack right now anyway! Instead invest in a descent education. Even if it is just a few classes here and there, most schools have equipment that you can use. Learn how to compose/direct great productions. Then, if you want to be in your own projects you can be!

Definetly keep a creditable film/video school in mind. Practice with a lower end camera for now. A great videographer/director can produce an amazing finished product even with the lower end cameras.

Most importantly, keep an open mind about criticism. I think that this is the most valuable thing to learn. Many people on this site are very experienced videographers, so let your guard down and truly listen to what they have to say. They aren't just trying to be mean, though some of them may be jealous that they didn't start as young as yourself (myself included).

I know your parents and peers probably love the work you've done so far. Just please don't think that your work is the greatest ever made at the age of thirteen. Like I said before, keep an open mind about criticism, cause most of what other people have said is constructive.

Keep following your dreams!
Ry
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work