DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Pictures By My Mama (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/90950-pictures-my-mama.html)

Elmer Lang April 7th, 2007 12:06 PM

Pictures By My Mama

I'm looking for funding to do a full-length doc about this and the bigger subject it includes.

http://elmerlang.com/PicturesByMyMama.html

Ken Diewert April 7th, 2007 02:40 PM

Elmer,

I thought it was really cool. I think it would be better without the 'Elmer Show' in the middle. Initially I though the subject was going to be the story of the role of farmers wives in rural america. Then the topic of race relations comes in (which I believe is the real subject). A good use of archival footage and B&W stills. The pacing could use a little tweaking.

Good Luck.

Steven Gotz April 7th, 2007 06:57 PM

Elmer,

The story runs all over the place. I thought we were going to see pictures that your mother took. But instead we saw some farm footage, then some crazy guys, then an even crazier guy.

If you have enough pictures, perhaps you could tell a story about the pictures instead. Some of which you did, or tried to do.

Liam Hall April 9th, 2007 04:51 PM

Elmer,

You touch on some deep and important themes there, but you let the film down by featuring too much of yourself in the edit, particularly the unnecessary middle section. Be brave enough just to tell the story. Also there's far too much repitition, gets some b-roll in there.

Cheers,

Liam.

Laurie Hamilton April 9th, 2007 09:20 PM

It seems like the first introduction of that picture isn't necessary, especially with all the goofiness revolving around it. The film is pretty powerful, but the comedy portion gets things off track.

Greg Quinn April 9th, 2007 09:23 PM

Very, very good. I was completely absorbed.

If you're not an actor/VO, you should be. Where did you get the public domain video material from?

Elmer Lang April 10th, 2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Quinn (Post 657162)
Where did you get the public domain video material from?

Thanks Greg, and All, for viewing!!

I got the public domain footage from archive.org, they're a wonderful resource.

I understand alot of people are put off by the humor. It messes with their documentary expectations. I'm a poet who started making films and don't know the rules, or use the typical tone and arc. I'm trying for a more personal tone, the intimacy of friends, not the 'target audience.'

Michelangelo said, 'Those who don't break rules, achieve nothing.'

I think if people here go with what they at first feel to be odd, it can open things up emotionally. But now I'm kinda quoting Manet. ;)

best,
elmer

ps Here's a short with alot of PD footage to help tell a thinking man's guy-gal story: http://elmerlang.com/IVC.html

Nick Royer April 11th, 2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmer Lang (Post 657920)
I'm a poet who started making films and don't know the rules, or use the typical tone and arc.

Elmer, you have a great story to tell here. One thing that I would say is that in poetry and writing in general, you often have the introduction mirror the conclusion. I would begin the documentary with the last picture your mama took and then end with that over a long fade out.

Liam Hall April 12th, 2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmer Lang (Post 657920)
I understand alot of people are put off by the humor. It messes with their documentary expectations. I'm a poet who started making films and don't know the rules, or use the typical tone and arc. I'm trying for a more personal tone, the intimacy of friends, not the 'target audience.'

Michelangelo said, 'Those who don't break rules, achieve nothing.'

I think if people here go with what they at first feel to be odd, it can open things up emotionally. But now I'm kinda quoting Manet. ;)

Elmer,
I'm neither put off by the humor, nor are my expectations messed with. I think you achieved an intimate tone and delivered it with a lovely natural rhythm. I just don't think the middle section works. Tell the story with your heart laid bare, by all means, but be brave enough to tell the story and not resort to absurdity.

I enjoyed your Guy/girl movie and the techniques you employed there worked for me. So, it's not about rule breaking.

Just my opinion. And what do I know? I haven't seen any of Michelangelo or Manet's films.

Thanks for sharing,

Liam.

Elmer Lang June 26th, 2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 659053)
Tell the story with your heart laid bare, by all means, but be brave enough to tell the story and not resort to absurdity.

I hadn't checked this thread in forever so excuse the delay in answering, but thanks for reiterating your previous view.

The mixture of absurdity and drama is always tricky, so I understand how it might bother you. I can't even say with certainty I was right in doing it. Some intuitive ideas I just stupidly stick to.

The technique can easily go awry or be misinterpreted.

I, of course, would never resort to those tricks your fellow Englishman employed, what's his name, the guy they're always abridging...o yeah, Shakespeare, I would never, like him, have some fool busting the chops of that poor old man wandering around on the moor who'd been betrayed by his daughters. Uh, Lear, I think his name was. Absurdity like that is of course despicable. And he used that trick in a bunch of his tragedies, didn't he? Outrageous!

thanks for watching and reiterating,
lmr