DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   The Civil War (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/91227-civil-war.html)

Nick Royer April 10th, 2007 10:09 PM

The Civil War

Here is a little short movie I made in less than fifteen minutes for a middle school history assignment. Just wondering what you think about it considering that it was shot in under fifteen minutes in raining conditions. I'm going to present it tomorrow. And this is just a low quality upload because I haven't had time yet to get the full quality one online.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...87485478&hl=en

My main website is www.stormpointstudios.com.

Gabriel Yeager April 10th, 2007 11:01 PM

Hey Nick.

My comments on this film would be:
I would say that the text was a little fast, but I am a slow reader - especially at this time in the night! lol.
The "popping" in the background made it hard for me to hear. So I could not really make out what they were saying half the time. I will have to watch again tomorrow when people are awake so I can turn it up louder..
The "blood" was nicely done. Two thumbs up on that.
And the only thing else that I would say is maybe put a fade-out at the end. You did a nice job editing in my opinion, thats just one thing that I would add.

Hopefully your class-mates like it, along with your teachers'.

Best of luck!
~Gabriel
PS: I like your website.

Nick Royer April 10th, 2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager (Post 657978)
The "popping" in the background made it hard for me to hear. So I could not really make out what they were saying half the time. I will have to watch again tomorrow when people are awake so I can turn it up louder..

And the only thing else that I would say is maybe put a fade-out at the end.

The "popping" was because of the rain hitting the camera enclosure (a ziplock bag). We thought about doing voice overs but decided it would take to long and the audio is okay if you turn it up. And there is a fade out at the end, it just got cut off when I put it on Google. I'll fix that when I get the better quality version online.

Gabriel Yeager April 10th, 2007 11:17 PM

Ahh, yes. The plastic bag. :D I have done that myself, along with a few other techniques.

I see. Thats one thing I dislike about google video/youtube. They always seem to cut it at the end.

Good job, and good luck!
~Gabriel

Nick Royer April 12th, 2007 07:35 AM

I just got back from school and it was great. Everyone was freaking out when I got shot. They showed it to all the class periods after mine.

Gabriel Yeager April 12th, 2007 01:05 PM

Cool Nick! Good to hear they liked it!

~Gabriel

Ryan Mueller April 13th, 2007 11:28 AM

Hey Nick,

Not bad at all considering your age. Just a couple of things though, take the extra time to do the VO. I kept thinking that I had popcorn in the microwave. The scene where you were shot was pretty good, but next time put a hole in the shirt (much more believable). Keep up the good work!

Ry

Nick Royer April 13th, 2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller (Post 659587)
Hey Nick,

Not bad at all considering your age. Just a couple of things though, take the extra time to do the VO. I kept thinking that I had popcorn in the microwave. The scene where you were shot was pretty good, but next time put a hole in the shirt (much more believable). Keep up the good work!

Ry

Yeah. I would do all of that but because the time frame was so short, it just wasn't possible. But mainly, it wasn't safe. We did that in the middle of a large rainstorm with lightning, so it wasn't safe to spend allot of time doing extra stuff. But when I do a more important movie, I will do all that stuff.

Simon Jones April 13th, 2007 04:19 PM

It was cool, but the dialogue was a little choppy, and a couple of the other cuts were choppy too...

I know this was on a short timeframe, but if I were you I would invest a little something on props. (The mini-m16's made this look a little too fake.) I did a film on WWI for school, and I made the guns for this movie, and they didnt look too bad for an audience POV

Anyways, good luck, keep practicing!