A j.r. Hudson Reel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Major Player

A j.r. Hudson Reel

I saw Aram posting his reel and I got inspired. Reminds me how much I still need to practice and how much I just abuse my imagery in post. This isn't to gain work more so than it is to just share.

All DVX

http://auteurtheory.ning.com/video/v...320:Video:2602

This should be viewable without registering.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I wasn't impressed at first, but as it went on, there was some pretty nice stuff. The shot at 3:01 with the boy sillhouetted against the sunrise (set?) was actually VERY nice...well composited.

Lots of good camera motion, all around a pretty decent reel. Looks like you're well on your way with a lot of good stuff under your belt. Keep working at it and you can only get better :)

Nice.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gast View Post
I wasn't impressed at first, but as it went on, there was some pretty nice stuff. The shot at 3:01 with the boy sillhouetted against the sunrise (set?) was actually VERY nice...well composited.

Lots of good camera motion, all around a pretty decent reel. Looks like you're well on your way with a lot of good stuff under your belt. Keep working at it and you can only get better :)

Nice.
Whew; after 56 views an actual reply. I appreciate the feedback. And I agree, I'm not impressed with it either : P

It's mostly entry level crap and I'm aware of that. Lot of learning in that reel. Now, it's onto Part 2 of the film journey.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I tried to check it out, but it wouldn't let me view anything without joining, and then when I tried to join, it gets stuck at the update profile page, and won't let me go any further.
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Rhoads View Post
I tried to check it out, but it wouldn't let me view anything without joining, and then when I tried to join, it gets stuck at the update profile page, and won't let me go any further.
My intent is not to get people to join who do not want to; and I just recently made the Page private (as oppossed to public).

Ill upload to you maybe and update this thread ? :P

-

Weird that it would stick you in peregatory though; Quite a few people have joined up in the last day or so.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, after you replied, I went back over and tried to finish signing up, and it went through.

Nice reel... I swear I've seen a lot of that stuff before.... :-D
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Rhoads View Post
Well, after you replied, I went back over and tried to finish signing up, and it went through.

Nice reel... I swear I've seen a lot of that stuff before.... :-D
LOL

I didn't really think it deserved a showcase; I just got inspired seeing others put their body of work into one place

:P

Thanks ! = )
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi John, looks good and you have the same problem I have, letting go of footage and wanting to put everything in. :) My Fav shot is the one where the boy is working at the table, thats sort of like the one where my daughter is working at the table I think I had it in 4 times. I like a lot of the motion you have which I don't have yet. My fav moving shot is the one where the guy is walking towards the house with the shotgun.
Aram Bauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Aram ! It reminds me of how little I actually shoot and pursue my goals = / but motivate same as well.

Those are all my little skate dolly ! LOL
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:47 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Nice, but yeah there are some inconsistencies in quality - I'll say it could be half as long - normally quite a few people say no more than 5 minutes, but IMO 2 minutes is the number for me and quite a few people I know - I'd consider condensing it if it's anything more than just sharing/casual use.

That and not to sound mean, one pet peeve of mine is when you have the same works to the point where it's almost like having the whole film in the demo reel - though shortening it will fix that.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hanna View Post
Nice, but yeah there are some inconsistencies in quality - I'll say it could be half as long - normally quite a few people say no more than 5 minutes, but IMO 2 minutes is the number for me and quite a few people I know - I'd consider condensing it if it's anything more than just sharing/casual use.

That and not to sound mean, one pet peeve of mine is when you have the same works to the point where it's almost like having the whole film in the demo reel - though shortening it will fix that.

Tks !

From what you and Aram have suggested, I'm going tp trim it up. I admit, I could not let go of the zombie outbreak scene.

Thanks for the advice.
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work