DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Where's Linda? A DVX100 horror film (48 hour filmproject) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/92209-wheres-linda-dvx100-horror-film-48-hour-filmproject.html)

Peter Sieben April 23rd, 2007 03:17 PM

Where's Linda? A DVX100 horror film (48 hour filmproject)

Hi everyone,

This weekend we've been participating in a 48 hour filmproject, and produced a 5 min. (soft)horror movie called 'Where's Linda?'. At the start of the 48 hours we received the following 4 required elements: genre (horror), character (hardrock guy), prop (blackboard) and text ('Right now!').

Watch the film at http://www.orphicfilm.nl/html/linda-mediaqt.html (Quicktime 7 H264). English subtitles are included.

We filmed with a DVX100 (PAL) in 25P. Audio was captured with a AT897 microphone. The first day was used for writing the script, arranging people to act in the film and securing the location(s). The 2nd day we filmed, editing was started on location during shooting to gain some time. From 3:00 pm we finished shooting and started on finalizing the editing. Editing (and discussing it, including leaving out a complete scene) was finished around 8.15 pm, then soundmixing started and at 10:00 pm the film was delivered on dvd at the festival organization.

Looking forward to your opinions. (Yes, the editing could've been more tight in the opening scenes).

Wes Mahon April 23rd, 2007 03:43 PM

i really like the idea behind that it was very interesting. yeah some of the clips were dragged out longer than they should have but i enjoyed it a lot

John Hudson April 23rd, 2007 03:48 PM

I really enjoyed this piece. You have some nice comps in here; specifcally looking up into the stairwell. I also liked the shot of the man entering the stairwell that was in dark against light

I got a bit lost on the end and if you could explain it better ? Was the little girl and boy in realtime or was that all flashbacks ? Also, the man was in school as a young child should be ?

I liked it overall; nice looking and the lack of score really amplifies the intimacy.

Peter Sieben April 23rd, 2007 04:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

John, the story leaves room for your own interpretations. You could say that the man in the classroom is repeating the same line, as a kind of punishment for and rememberance of something that happened or could've happened in his childhood. The teacher is watching him, to make sure he doesn't forget. And suppose something terrible happened in the past and he's to blame, what would you do if you could turn back the clock? But if you turn this around: suppose you could predict the effects of your options/decisions in the future (you're seeing 'flash forwards'), what makes you make the right choice? And what if the future and the past are parrallel tracks? .... This is your puzzle, John. ;-)

Mike Horrigan April 23rd, 2007 04:26 PM

I liked this! It was interesting...
I would not classify it as a horror film though.

I would suggest that you use a tripod for some of the shots.

Still, I thought it was pretty good. Just tighten up some of the scenes (as suggested) and I think you'll find that it flows better.

Maybe some creepy audio/voice-work could bring it closer to the horror line.

Nice work though! Looked great as well.

Mike

Matt Newcomb April 24th, 2007 03:01 AM

My 48 hour horror film

Hey Peter,

I participate in the 48 hour film projects as well. Here is my horror entry from 2005. Of course you never get it quite edited or shot perfectly, but it's all about having fun.

It was shot with an XL2, and we used after effects and adobe premiere for the editing. All the music was created within the weekend as well. We had to use:

Genre: Horror
Character: C. Johnson, Cartographer
Prop: Paper Airplane
Line of Dialogue: "There's a first time for everything."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bxpWBkrOgPA

We ended up winning Audience Award: Best Cinematography, Best Use of Prop, and Best Acting

Peter Sieben April 24th, 2007 01:23 PM

Hi Matt,

Nice work, thanks for showing it. The beginning is a bit slow; great end scene with the crowd coming towards the window.

Derrick A.Jones April 26th, 2007 01:14 PM

I really like this a lot. The transitions were very good going back ans fourth from child to adult. Not a lot of dialog but it didn't need it. Very well put together for it to be shot in 24 hours. Good movie

Peter Sieben April 27th, 2007 01:31 PM

Thanks, Derrick. The woman and little girl are mother and daughter in real life, so that made things easier with the past and present side of the film. The boy is in fact a nephew of them. The man isn't however related in familiy line, we had about 2 or 3 people that fitted the 'hard rock' style. But when we heard that one of them had the same kind of red-blond hair and skin as the boy (nephew), we knew we had to pick him out.

Derrick A.Jones April 27th, 2007 04:45 PM

You got lucky with that casting..lol Good job though man. Do you have a myspace account i want to stay in contact with you. I'm like your style and artistic touch man....

Peter Sieben April 27th, 2007 10:41 PM

Hi Derrick,

Yes, I'm on MySpace since a couple of months. Surf to www.myspace.com/orphicfilm .

Check-out my website for more films if you like. Within the section Our Films you can find projects like Fade, Scripted Work and BitterSweet you might want to see.

CU!

Charles Papert April 28th, 2007 01:55 AM

As a 12-time veteran of 48-hr filmmaking (!) via my old company Instant Films, kudos to both of you gents for having done it. Nothing like getting out the door and making films under deadline!

Some of mine are up on Youtube, if you search under my name. For fans of "The Office", check out a not-yet-famous Jenna Fischer in "Girls' Guide to Summer".

Our version of the festival isolated the writers, directors and actors which complicated the process even more--as a director, you had no say over the script itself and no time to plan ahead!

Matt, if interested you should check out the next Instant Films screening (www.instantfilms.com) at the LA Center Studios on May 6th. I'm no longer with the company as I said but it's always a fun night.

Peter Sieben April 28th, 2007 11:47 PM

Hi Charles,

The 48 hour-filmmaking is a fun stress event! The Instant Films website has a nice video with a look behind the scenes, the idea of shooting somebody else his/her script is a real challenge, also with actors you're not familiar with.
I liked the Jenna Summer Guide video, I haven't seen the Office on tv, but nonetheless I enjoyed this weird humour short film. Keep up the good work!