XL H1 Music Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1
New Boot

XL H1 Music Video

Hey all, I shot a music video for my little brother about a month ago. I used my Canon XL H1 (stock). The video was shot in less than 10 hours and made for a budget of less than $100. I shot and edited as a single man production crew. Nothing major, but was fun to throw together.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StQ2Pqt4HG0

PS: the grave is in my moms backyard... we didn't dig out in public.
Mustafa Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Mustafa,

Groovy !

Did you use any dvinfo based preset/s.

Could you share some more on your workflow / Grading ?

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #3
New Boot

Herman,

The only thing I did with the camera was set it to NTSC (I have the PAL upgrade too), put it on HDV, 24f and white balanced. I used the on camera mic to catch the audio (which was playing from either a car or a radio). [Note: The digging part is 3 different locations. #1: On an old public dirt road, #2: (after he crosses the fence) we switch to a field by my sisters house, #3: He digs the grave in my moms backyard.

In post, I edited with FCP without any effects. Almost all the grading effects were done via Magic Bullet (bleech bypass, berlin effect, sepia effect, dream look, neo effect, white diffusion, max diffusion). Other than that just some color correction and thats it. I know the colors don't exactly match throughout... this was done on purpose because we wanted each verse to have its own look and feel.

My system kept crashing on me because on some clips there are over 6 magic bullet effects piled up.

All in all, this was a practice run just as a creative outlet. It was intense shooting schedule. Wasn't expecting much from 10 hours and $100 bucks. We had fun though...and thats the one thing we did expect.
Mustafa Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Lovely vid, great job! :-D

Regards, Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Excellent job,liked the music too. I'm about to make a music video myself and I hope it's as good as this!
Phil Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Mustafa,

Sorry , been out shooting for the week.

Thank you for the M Bullet workflow feedback.

Keep Shooting!

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Looks great man, makes me want to pick up Magic Bullet now. Although I don't have after effects so that might add up for me. Damn there being no Motion equivalent!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work