DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Low-budget HVX music video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/93076-low-budget-hvx-music-video.html)

Ash Greyson May 2nd, 2007 11:46 PM

Low-budget HVX music video

Sorry in advance for the Youtube compression, that is the only option right now. Because of the nature of what I do, I rarely get to post anything I work on. This has been released already in Japan and the UK (with no fire) and will be released in the US soon. This video had a total budget of $3500. All shot in 720/60P at 24FPS on the HVX and the song performed at 250%.

This was a last minute thing, not a lot of planning, no permits, just run and gun. Used a cheapo Glidecam (I did not want it too smooth) and the stock HVX lens at full wide (for all but 1 or 2 shots).

Quite a few VFX in the video provided by DVinfo genius Riley Harmon. It was a clear day so all the skies, clouds, fire, smoke, firetrucks, etc. are his work. Before anybody plays the "that looks fake" card, it looks exactly like I wanted it, somewhere between reality and a graphic novel. I dont expect anyone to think we burned a building down. Still, that version was banned in the UK. The narrative is very subtle but most people have picked up on something.

At any rate... check it out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bi9d6sdqJc0

ash =o)

Matt Newcomb May 3rd, 2007 12:56 AM

I was just going to ask how you got the sky to look like that. Looks good though.

Josh Caldwell May 3rd, 2007 05:39 AM

Where's that field location? Where'd you shoot the video. Looks very nice. And I know what you mean by the fire and effects and stuff. It doesn't look "fake" it looks stylized. I love the look of sun on a subject but behind them dark storms clouds are gathering. Looks very cool. And in no way feels "cheap" or inexpensive. Great job.

This is a great song too.

Ash Greyson May 3rd, 2007 10:34 AM

It was shot around Tulsa, OK... that field is just south of town. Thanks for the comments.

ash =o)

Kyle Ross May 3rd, 2007 01:25 PM

For some reason, I really like the shot at 2:57 in with his silouette running. I also agree the fire looks really good. That's super hard to CG, I know, but you've done it very well.

Dante Waters May 4th, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson (Post 672089)
It was shot around Tulsa, OK... that field is just south of town. Thanks for the comments.

ash =o)

Ash, Lovely work. Haven't had the opportunity to look at any of your work, till now.
I would definitely buy the video on itunes (when it comes to the States).
Stock HVX looks great. What made you shoot the video using the HVX (knowing how many cameras you have access to).

Mustafa Davis May 4th, 2007 12:38 AM

Great work. No disclaimer needed. You shot what you wanted and got the results you were looking for and all for a very small budget. Good job.

Reid Bailey May 4th, 2007 08:04 AM

Great work regardless of whatever limitations you were dealing with.
Looks no different than if you had two weeks of pre-pro and a crew of 25.

Marcus Marchesseault May 4th, 2007 08:15 AM

How did you do the motion tracking so the sky would stay aligned when the camera moved?

Benjamin Hill May 4th, 2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault (Post 672697)
How did you do the motion tracking so the sky would stay aligned when the camera moved?

Very cool video, classy and simple. What made you decide to shoot mostly wide?

Todd Giglio May 4th, 2007 09:56 AM

Very nice work! Looks great and it does look like big budget to me!
Thanks for sharing.

Todd

Ash Greyson May 4th, 2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault (Post 672697)

That would be a Riley question. He was able to do the VFX in very little time. He is super fast and super good... and he is like 19.

ash =o)

Riley Harmon May 8th, 2007 10:36 PM

match moving FTW!

Andzei Matsukevits May 10th, 2007 11:14 AM

weird, why the fire version was banned in UK?

Ash Greyson May 10th, 2007 12:13 PM

They do not allow people to interact with fire, even if it is fake. They have really weird rules at the BBC.

ash =o)