DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   New 48 Hour Film - Shot on XH-A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/94065-new-48-hour-film-shot-xh-a1.html)

Barry Gribble May 14th, 2007 08:37 PM

New 48 Hour Film - Shot on XH-A1

Hey all,

This last weekend I did the 48 hour film fest again - you must write/shoot/edit a complete short in 48 hours. It was a blast, as always, and I'm really happy with the result.

We had a great cast including Missy Doty, who's done some great work including a supporting roles in Sideways and L&O CSI, and Scot McKenzie who just picked up a local theater award (Helen Hayes).

We drew Detective/Cop as a genre, and the required elements were:

Character: Rosie Adams, President of ______
Line: "That's what I'm talkin' about"
Prop: Bracelet

We shot on the XH-A1. We had two, because we usually shoot our sitcom 2-cam, but we shot very little on the second cam. My DP was Kevin Good, who has done a lot of Buddy Jackson work with me and some great work on his own. We lit a lot with two Kino Divas, a couple fresnels and a couple other random open-face lights. We were really lucky to be able to shoot in an actual jail cell - very fun.

The result is "The Kumbio Takedown":
http://www.buddyjackson.com/48hours/index.html
(not work-safe - harsh language and sexual content)

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks all.

Ulrik [fC] May 15th, 2007 08:37 AM

I just watched it ..

The mainactor was the best for me .. he made it to make some quite "out of this world" dialogue somehow believable .. the woman seemed like from some sitcom, her stuff was (without trying to be offensive) cheap or lets say I didn't believe her in what she was saying - maybe not her fault, but of the guy who wrote the screenplay ;).

But I think its quite amazing how many different locations you used for some 48hours festival !

BHave Fun
Ulrik

Barry Gribble May 16th, 2007 06:20 AM

Thanks for checking it out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulrik [fC] (Post 679643)
.. the woman seemed like from some sitcom

Funny you should say that, because recently she appeared in a sitcom pilot starring Hugh Jackman and Melanie Griffith that just got picked up by CBS :). Also, most of the writing I do is for a sitcom, so it is not wildly surprising that it would come out that way. I knew in putting it together that is was more TVish than cinematic, and I'm OK with that.

Phil Kay May 16th, 2007 07:58 AM

........... I'd do her.

Mike Andrade May 16th, 2007 04:21 PM

Had a crappy day..I logged on here, found this and laughed my ass off. Great writing as well as filming. Keep it up.

Barry Gribble May 16th, 2007 10:17 PM

Phil - I'll pass that on :).

Mike - Thanks so much. I'm really glad it connected with you enough to get the laughter going.

Mike Horrigan May 17th, 2007 07:30 AM

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun with this... it shows, in a good way!

Well done.

Funny stuff!

Mike

Jaadgy Akanni May 17th, 2007 08:42 PM

I Friggin' Loved it!!!

The writing was just great. If out of habit, one starts knit picking at something that is well written, well directed and well acted, of course one's gonna find faults 'cause that's what one's looking for. In fact I do that with all movies, even those by Spielberg. But in the end, the only thing that matters is whether the piece held your interest and made you feel something. This one did it for me. Loved it, loved it, loved it. And yes, I'd do her too.

Barry Gribble May 18th, 2007 01:11 PM

Mike, Jaadgy,

Thanks again... I'm glad you guys liked it. Yeah, we definitely had a blast making it.

Paul J Carey May 19th, 2007 05:47 PM

As a side note... I'm a big fan of Buddy Jackson.

Barry Gribble May 25th, 2007 01:33 PM

Good news all - last night was the awards show and out of 99 teams entered we won:

Best Film (the big prize)
Best Acting
Best Writing (tied with another team on that)
Audience Choice Award for our screening

It was such a kick. There were a lot of good films out there, and two others in particular that could have easily snatched the grand prize.

Now our film goes on to compete against the winners from all other cities, and the grand prize is $7500. That won't be until fall though.

Anyway - thanks for the support all. It means a lot.