DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Not even close.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/94619-not-even-close.html)

Eric Gulbransen May 21st, 2007 04:25 PM

Not even close..

Man this feels a lot like the day I got the prettiest girl in school's number from the book and sat in front of the phone for two hours just staring at the receiver... (I'm very hesitant to post a video here)

I'd like to make a short video for my girl. Something about working out that hopefully inspires people to raise their own heart-rate now and again. I have some ideas, and have taken a few shots, but I think I need a world of help to get this project where I want - which at this point is very limited because I don't have the education. But I AM learning, thanks to all of you here on DvInfo.net, so I thought maybe I'd share at least what could be a humble beginning to this, in the hopes that someone might offer some constructive advice. Like I said I'd like it to be inspiring (in a fitness sort of way), easy on the eyes, uplifting and personable. I have an idea to add her voice over parts, talking about what she gets out of working out, and possibly capture her addressing the camera (tough deal so far).

I plan to shoot a good deal more, which is why this clip comes to an abrupt halt at 2min. But how cool would it be to have a better plan next time we shoot - which is why I'm offering the clip here.

To say I'm green is a glorious understatement. I'll be the first to admit I'm not even that yet..

Thanks -

http://www.Tracyfit.com/QuicktimeVid...ailer_web5.mov

Benjamin Hill May 21st, 2007 07:37 PM

Well, it doesn't hurt that you have a photogenic subject. The photography is more than competent, the transitions work although the sequence seems undetermined. Certain shots are more..."compelling" than others, and there doesn't seem to be any direction to the piece. Right now it's a very personal video I think, for better or worse.

...so I'm not sure what kind of feedback you're looking for, because your shots are all pretty solid.

Are you making the video for her, or for a commercial audience? Is this supposed to be preview for an exercise video? Is she a trainer who aspires to star in her own exercise videos?

Without knowing more about the purpose and just looking at the video, my reaction is "Nice. What is it for?"

Bruce Foreman May 21st, 2007 09:58 PM

Eric:

I think you're off to a great start.

I'd say follow through with your own instincts, plan what you can but continue to shoot a lot of her. Show it to her and get her input.

You've already shown editing talent, too. So maybe you're not as "green" as you feel you are.

Eric Gulbransen May 21st, 2007 10:02 PM

Really what it's for is practice, and it's for motivation. I've had this idea for quite some time that she could create some very special, motivational, and informative fitness videos/tutorials (definitely not this one). But somewhat like shopping for a house - if she doesn't see a pretty porch she's not interested (even though I'm a carpenter...?) - I'm having a hard time getting her to realize the vision. Some time down the road I'd like a project "like" this to be a commercial venture, but for now it's really just for me to learn more - and to spark her interest.

I can feel as I'm editing this, and even while shooting it, that I'm a little lost. What you mention is very appropriate. I think I can type out a decent story, but telling a story with video isn't so natural for me. Perhaps there's a library of books or videos I need to lose myself in? I'd like to create a video here that charges people up. Something that makes you want to GO. I'd like it to show both what you can do, and how you can look - without the process being a drag. I'd like the video to draw you in and strategically create an interest for the audience that gets you to wanting more. I don't want to tell an entire story, but rather to let you know that there is an entire story available if you're interested. And then of course I'd like it to make you interested - interested in her, and interested in working out.

I'm sorry if this is too vague. Maybe that's one of my problems here...

Thanks for the help Benjamin.

Eric Gulbransen May 21st, 2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 683492)
Eric:
I'd say follow through with your own instincts, plan what you can but continue to shoot a lot of her.

Thanks Bruce. I think this video is actually working - she is actually now asking ME about the lights I keep mentioning I need ; ) hasn't always been that way..

As for the editing, thanks, I really do think I could create some interesting video someday. But for now I'm just fumbling I feel. I'm paying attention to timing and tempo a bit, but then I've got her tying sneakers out of no where. I'm not sure where I came up with that, or what my intent was - but it's there...

When I first began seeing life through the lens I hated how nothing fit in it. This always got me to wanting the widest angle lens I could find. But then one day I read a post a guy put up with a video he took of ducks. That's all there was, just ducks. He was asking for feedback on editing. He mentioned something about how he'd stuck to all the "rules" of broadcast (?). I can't remember exactly but I think he mentioned seven of them. He had a low shot, a high shot, a wide shot, a panning shot, etc... They were just ducks, and to tell you the truth I didn't like the video at all - but I did catch the comment about rules, or tips, or guidelines for telling a story with video. And I did begin to understand that while the lens doesn't see things the way I do, perhaps that's actually a cool thing after all.

I can't find that old post, and I have no guidelines. I would love to have better direction, or purpose next time out.

Thanks for the kick in the pants Bruce.

Chris C. Collins May 22nd, 2007 05:15 PM

Sorry for my very lacking amount of advice here... but from the shots I just saw and the music I just heard, these few shots came to mind.

She runs, obviously, so a running shot close-up on her shoes would emphasize the power of what she is doing, and what is exitting her and entering the pavement.

Another shot that came to mind would be the finale.
Black outline silhouette of her staring into the sunset.
Inspiring? Yes. Symbolic? Yes. Cliche? Maybe...

If you have the capability, I think a fast-paced running shot where the camera is up to speed with her would do great justice to that piece.

I could think of more ideas if I knew more about her and why she does it, though.

-'nother idea. Still shot of park, her running from left to right. Careful, though... Since all of your shots are mostly slows zooms and dissolve transitions that one might not flow.

I'm just spewing out ideas so I can help in SOME way. Take or leave any of these, hope I helped..

:]

Greg Boston May 22nd, 2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen (Post 683494)
I'd like to create a video here that charges people up. Something that makes you want to GO. I'd like it to show both what you can do, and how you can look - without the process being a drag.

Eric, it needs to be more up tempo then. The pace of your music is not a running pace, it's like a yoga pace. It can't be soft music, it should be harder edged, just like the subject's well defined muscles.

One of my favorite tunes in the gym while doing aerobics is Rob Zombie's, 'Feel So Numb'. It has this sort of, almost marching cadence to it.

That's just my opinion. And I'm sure there are other musical pieces that fit somewhere between my example and the one you were using.

-gb-

Eric Gulbransen May 23rd, 2007 12:12 AM

Thanks huge guys.. All great points and ideas.

I've been thinking the intro music might work ok in just the beginning - like it is. And maybe the two intro dark shots lead into some better yoga poses while the same music remains playing. Maybe then her voice comes in and the music fades out and somehow her words lead into the more physical aspects of her workouts, like maybe sit-ups, jump rope, running and other faster paced stuff. Perhaps this is where the quicker paced more powerful music takes over?

I do have the option to follow alongside her running. Perhaps in a car with the Glidecam rig? Watch me screw this shot up ; )

Her background is as follows: Tomboy, but definitely a lady too. Athlete. Been working out forever. Personal strength trainer, power yoga instructor, bootcamp, cardio kickboxing, etc. etc. yadda yadda. Basically, I don't work out with this chic. Bad for my self image if you know what I'm saying. She's highly personable. About the nicest girl you could wish for. Great at connecting with people, and maintaining that connection. Super motivator. Loves everyone (almost).

Oh, and when she faces a video camera and speaks... All bets are off (so far. She's a work in progress)

Thank you very much guys.