A Slew of Garbage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Slew of Garbage

So I haven't posted much of my work recently, and I know you guys are saddened.

Thus, I've returned in great triumph with a handful of goodies!
(Most completely unoriginal)

Enjoy!

Would You Film Me?
http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=3522

So Easy A Gorilla Could Do It
http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=3545

Addison Popping Into Frame
http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=3546

Changing My Room
http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=3521

Anti-Gravity
http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=3385

Addison's Crazy
http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=3523

A Buncha Monkeys
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MQosURW0nBA

Sorry for the huge list and whatnot, but I figured it was better than making 7 threads. And lastly, why is HTML disabled? Not even BBcode?

*Pout*
>:[

Last edited by Chris C. Collins; May 23rd, 2007 at 04:47 AM.
Chris C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

nice little movies, some funny ideas. My most favorite is "Addison Popping Into Frame". :-D

Btw: this is the right link to "Changing My Room": http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=3521

Regards, Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Reik View Post
Hi Chris,

nice little movies, some funny ideas. My most favorite is "Addison Popping Into Frame". :-D

Btw: this is the right link to "Changing My Room": http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=3521

Regards, Oliver
Thanks, Oliver. Link fixed.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

On Anti-Gravity I see you and your camcorder, what are you shooting with, for a split second I'm thinking FX1 but then it looks like the A1 or G1. Sweet little vids.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

There's some really good comic timing in a lot of these. Part of that is closely emulating the originals, but it also feels like you know the right moment when it hits.
Sean Gillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gillane View Post
There's some really good comic timing in a lot of these. Part of that is closely emulating the originals, but it also feels like you know the right moment when it hits.
I think that comes from my previous work. I used to edit video game montages for money, and I also had a few of my own.

Ya know, those little video game videos with crazy cool kills timed with the music? I have a lot of experience in synchronized editing and I had quite a reputation for myself over at www.halo3forum.com.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to post all of my montages that I made in a new thread; you may not enjoy the video gaming, but I think you can appreciate it from an editor's standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gorski View Post
On Anti-Gravity I see you and your camcorder, what are you shooting with, for a split second I'm thinking FX1 but then it looks like the A1 or G1. Sweet little vids.
I'm actually shooting on my XL2.
;]
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Good stuff. The "Changing My Room" video reminded me of a scene on A Clockwork Orange just with a lot less nudity. What lens or lens' did you use on these videos?

Last edited by Mike Andrade; May 24th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Mike Andrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Major Player

I think Anti Gravity is excellent. It's crazy how you can take a simple room, a perfect music choice, and a few simple (but extremely well timed) camera techniques and turn it into something incredibly - for lack of a better term - cool. I wish I had an ounce of your creativity.

Actually, if you want to extract an ounce of your creativity and send it my way, I would be glad to send my mailing address :)
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Andrade View Post
Good stuff. The "Changing My Room" video reminded me of scene on A Clockwork Orange just with a lot less nudity. What lens or lens' did you use on these videos?
Heck yeah dude! I considered that video sort of a tribute to fellow Kubrick fans. He's my favorite director. I shot it on the Standard 20x Telephoto that came with the XL2, 60i, and 1/8 shutter speed.

Shooting in 1/8 shutter gives you a neat high-speed blur when sped up in post, try it out!
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
I think Anti Gravity is excellent. It's crazy how you can take a simple room, a perfect music choice, and a few simple (but extremely well timed) camera techniques and turn it into something incredibly - for lack of a better term - cool. I wish I had an ounce of your creativity.

Actually, if you want to extract an ounce of your creativity and send it my way, I would be glad to send my mailing address :)
Hahaha, I appreciate that, man. Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Major Player

Well, it isn't so much the effort that was put into it, it's just that there are a lot of small things that work really well, and it demonstrates that you know what you're doing.

For example

- the first time you cut to black as the music portion of the soundtrack.

- the flashes of film leader that match the vintage (I'm sure I can think of a better word than vintage - just not now) feel of the song. I say it sounds vintage because there is scratching, which means records, which means old. On that level it works.

- grain on the faucet shots.

- racking focus.

- the sped-up shots at the bottom of the frame look hella cool.

Simple things, you just know when to use them.

I mean, I know it's a video you make by just playing around, but it demonstrates that you have solid skills and know how to use them.

It reminds me of a comment one of my teachers made to me re: graphic design. He said it takes more talent to make a simple graphic using minimal elements than it does to clutter the image with a bazillion Photoshop filters.

If I sound like too much of a fan, maybe it's just being jealous that my day job is directing town council meetings and I don't have the time to do anything cool :)
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I'm gonna try that out in 60i. I usually rely on Twixtor for that stuff but I've heard on here you can get some good results in that mode on the xl2. Kubrick is my favorite director as well. Just watched Dr. Strangelove for the 40th time yesterday.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Andrade View Post
I'm gonna try that out in 60i. I usually rely on Twixtor for that stuff but I've heard on here you can get some good results in that mode on the xl2. Kubrick is my favorite director as well. Just watched Dr. Strangelove for the 40th time yesterday.
Strangelove is a pure classic, I'm trying to get my history teacher to screen that film. It portrays the evil, inhumane insanity of high-power war mongrels perfectly.

"Gentlemen! There will be no fighting in the war room!"

Hopefully I can invest in a Mac/Twixtor soon enough. I'm shooting a video tomorrow for a video contest with a prize of $5,000. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

PS: I've already got my Science/Astronomy teacher to screen "2001." :D
And ofcourse, the general reaction is: "THIS IS BORING!!!!"
Hahaha.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Good Luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work