Show Your Work 2008 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #136
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thanh View Post
I noticed that the colours really washed out and the picture was brightened up after it left compressor. I didn't use any of the colour corrections in Compressor, just compressed to H264 and cropped for 2.35:1.
Overall nice job on the different cuts/shots, though the action wasn't all that exciting.

In Vegas there's a setting to switch the video to StudioRGB, anything similar in Final Cut Pro? Other than that, try setting your levels and color curves - or use the VividRGB preset for the XH-A1. But you were shooting on what looks like a pretty cloudy day, so your colors are going to be generally muted anyway. The flat indoor lighting probably didn't help either. Were you shooting in Auto? I noticed at the beginning your reverse shots of the guy walking away from the underpass towards the car were darker than the rest.
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #137
Major Player

Ok where to begin...1st teach the girl how to read on camera. Wow, talk about uncomfortable to watch, also what's with her posture? The hand on the hip is not natural. Plus she adds nothing to the review.

2nd, don't sit in front of the monitor, you're blocking the video!
either sit next to it so we can see what you're talking about, or cover you guys with the video when you refer to it.

3rd wardrobe, if you eventually want to get advertisers on your site, you don't want it to look like some high school production.

4th, technically, your chroma key needs a little work. Too many green halos still.

5th, the 2 of you are pretty natural on camera, the dialog back and forth is good, very conversational, not to scripted , which is good.

Sorry to be picky, but I think this is the feedback you're looking for.
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #138
Major Player

I have heard there are some problems with how the gamma curve is handled on H264 - it is viewed differently in Quicktime vs other players, or something along those lines?

The file itself is fine, but it looks washed out in certain programs. Is this the case?
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #139
New Boot

I'm starting up a new web series 'Action Film Fan'

well... I guess it must be new, I posted the title wrong.
=P it's called 'Action Movie Fan'

Let me know what you think about Episode 1-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HjBEyCpZRc

thanks!
-nick
Nick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #140
Regular Crew

Music Video I produced

I produced this music video last year (senior year in high school) for a local Columbus, OH group. Shot on the sony pd170 and a panny dvx, edited in final cut. At the time i new very little about lighting, but it's not too bad. Let me know what you think.

http://www.jeffkolada.com/movies/02_...stndrd_web.mov
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #141
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Hi Dave
Hey a fellow diver...
They way the net goes I'm sure word will get around to them about it.
I'll send SSI and email.
Getting some nice clips loaded up now.

SSI Instructor
Ex PADI instructor.....handed my license back to them....
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #142
Regular Crew

New Company Reel

Hey everyone,

Below is a new version of a quick reel for my prod. co Meydenbauer Entertainment. This isn't really meant to be a full reel, but more of a quick introduction/presentation of the work the company and I have done so far (it would more than likely be at the beginning of a DVD or website). Many of you have seen some of our films including The Beautiful Lie and The Ronnie Day Project.

Just thought I'd see what you guys think.

http://www.meydenbauerentertainment.com/Reel.mov

Josh
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #143
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McQueen View Post
yeah, can't afford the $2000 century fisheye...

thanks tho!
Depending on where you live, you can rent one!
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #144
Trustee

Great lighting. Good pacing!

Toward the end, maybe just a little too much cutting on the beats, but in the beginning I think those cuts work fine.

I don't know if I'd like it as a force-play before a DVD feature, but certainly as a DVD extra or as a piece on the web.

Good work!
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #145
Regular Crew

Great!

I think it looks great. Good choice of clips. If I were to make any critical comment, it would be that there are a few too many 'clips to beat' at the beginning.
David Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #146
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, most of the real suspense came from waiting for this film to load up. Man, must be a really slow server or something.
After waiting that long for the film to load, I was really hoping for some kind of big payoff in the end, but there wasn't any.
I thought most of the video looked nice, anyway.
Dana Acciavatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #147
Trustee

It is against forum policy to link to works better than my own.

BTW, do you have any tips on how you get those results? I see in your sig that you use an XL2 but there must be a lot more to it than the camera.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #148
Major Player

Hi David. I guess the story is a bit slight but it is your first film! It's great to try stuff out without worrying too much about tricky plots at this stage. The the first movie I ever made was a suspense film too.

I liked some stuff. I thought the opening shots, with the handheld long lenses did add a bit of a "surveillance" mood which did make it a bit suspenseful, a lot of contemporary thrillers use the same approach.

I could have done with a few fewer zooms, but then I seem to be in a minority about that these days.

Be careful with the long handheld tracking shots - I noticed you had to speed one up to fit it in. It's best to shoot a few of angles and just cut. I know filmmakers fall in love with the long windy tracking shots, but usually they're pretty pointless, and actually that's how my mum would shoot a movie: "I'll just follow you while you walk around, honey"
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #149
Regular Crew

Not bad George! It looked very professional, something you'd see on TV here. From what I saw, the actors look like they're doing a great job. Nice locations too.

The 'films' in the logo for GH films is kind of unclear though. I don't know if that's just because youtube squished the video to 4:3 but the f looks like an l. You might want to change the font for that.
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #150
New Boot

Wow, that's all I can say. I love the story, it kept me entertained the whole time. Beautiful work. Amazing. Holy crap. Usually I don't like those love type stories, but this was just incredible. I will watch it a second time. I loved the twist, the pregnancy at the end all that. How they were both married. Very good storyline.
Kevin Defy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work