Show Your Work 2008 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 27th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #241
Regular Crew

indeed, good cam work, nice footage, (house looked too blown out in the start to me, might tone down the highlighting in that shot). Otherwise it all looked and sounded very well, (story wasn't my thing, but it was still entertaining). I'd say you've got something that you should be pleased to have spent the time and effort on.

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #242
Regular Crew

Quote:
I watched it a second time, and the beginning confuses me. I appreciate the end-beginning-middle storytelling fashion, but for me, it doesn't work in this story. I'd prefer to skip the "we've been together for four years" part, and just start with her wondering if she'll ever find a man.

From that point of view it doesn't work for me either, however I kind of got the impression she was reading from the paper(voice was different) then, as she sat it down she was reflecting on the story and her life in contrast. I may be wrong, but that's how my mind put it together in order to make more sense of the story. Then she meets a man in exactly the same way later on in the film.

I agree about the cinematography being excellent, other than the mismatch between the opening time lapse and the house, it seems like all of a sudden an hour or two pass by in that cut as far as lighting goes. So this throws off my interpretation of the story beginning with her reading from the paper.

The rest of the film was great in my opinion. Audio mixing/timing was near perfect, and your edits seemed very smooth.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #243
Major Player

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments!

Indeed, she is supposed to be reading the paper in the beginning of the story. I totally agree on the house being over-exposed! I brought it into my NLE and immediately played around with the idea of re-shooting it. I plan on throwing the title up over it and adjusting the levels, if it still looks bad I'll just re-shoot it.

Thank you for taking the time to give it a look and posting your thoughts. I am actually going to enter it into a local cinematography festival, that's why I wanted all the critique I could get.

Ryan
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #244
Major Player

Sax player's sound is a bit distant, does he really drench it in reverb, or did you capture it from the PA and not a direct feed? Everything else sounded pretty clear.

about half way thru the zoom out from the drummer, cut to the front zoom out, cut back to the side shot and zoom in... that ain't workin.

there are some shots in there that I wouldn't have used. With an inexperienced 2nd cam op, I would have chosen to lock one camera down on a wide shot of the entire band, and then use the second for closeups and roam the band with that one. That would save you from cutting fomr camera movement to camera movement, or having to use a shaky shot because you had to choose from the "less of two evils."

and when the sax player walks the dancefloor like that, get up in his face, he's out there to entertain the crowd (yeah I know spoken like a true sax player!) We saw shots of the bandstand without him and then the camera searching for something to shoot. If your were locked into a position he should have come to you, unless he was a bit timid about getting out there in the first place. I've done my fair share of barwalkin, and you gotta get out there with the people. (sorry for the little diversion)
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #245
Major Player

3 Min. Zombie short - Beneath Rotted Flesh

Hey guys,

Here's my first short film, "Beneath Rotted Flesh". It was shot in 2 days and it is for George Romero's Diary of the Dead contest. If you like it and have a MySpace account, vote BOOYAH! on it. If not, click NO WAY!, either way, vote if you can.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2095030396

Hope you guys enjoy it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it has a lot of cursing so if you're at work, I suggest you wear headphones or if you just don't like films with violence and cursing, don't watch it at all.

My apologies for the late warning.

Last edited by Roger Rosales; February 27th, 2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention it's not safe for work
Roger Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #246
Regular Crew

Warning: Not safe for work

Wear headphones on this one people:

PROJECT RUNWAY VS. WEREWOLF
http://www.eldersofthedarktower.com
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #247
Major Player

That was just too funny! Great job!
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #248
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot, Jim. Pass it on to people you think might like it.
Steve
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #249
Regular Crew

My wife is a big Project Runway fan, so I had her check it out. She thought it was funny.
Eduardo Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #250
Trustee

Werewolf got a bit unfunny during his tirade but overall it had the look and pace of the show, and the Tim Gunn character was spot on! Very well done.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #251
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments!
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #252
Regular Crew

PLEASE VOTE FOR US!!! - Diary of the Dead DVD contest entry!

We have completed our entry into the Diary of the Dead DVD contest and WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Please go to the following link, watch our movie, and VOTE! You vote by clicking on the BOOYAH! THUMBS UP icon located directly below the video.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=29312335

Please, spread the word to everyone you know and make sure they vote. We need all the votes we can get! And make sure to tell them to CLICK ON THE BOOYAH! THUMBS UP ICON below the video to rate it!

We are EXTREMELY confident in our entry and we're sure you'll love it too!

Thanks so much for the support! If you have any questions at all, please feel free to message me but please SPREAD THE WORD and VOTE! This could be HUGE for everyone!

Last edited by Paul Del Vecchio; February 28th, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Paul Del Vecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #253
Major Player

David, thanks for responding. I've noticed that many (most) interviews have the camera angled 30 to 45 degrees. What is the theory behind that?

Yes, you're right. I have a mic just out of view but I could still zoom in some more.

Also, if I could talk you into it, I would really like to see a still or even a short clip of how someone like yourself (who knows what they're doing) sets up an interview. I think I understand what your saying but if I saw it, I'd know exactly. If you don't have the time. No worries. Regardless, I appreciate the comment.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #254
Major Player

That was really good man. I liked it. The camera work was superb man. Very pro feel to it. I gave it a booyah for it deserves it!

Check out our entry man:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=29229861

If you like it, give it a vote man, if not then do what you think seems fair! haha, anyway, good stuff on your end man and damn good compression. What program did you use?
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #255
Regular Crew

We had to take it down and re-enter b/c of technical reasons but here is the new link! Please click the "BOOYAH! THUMBS UP" button and vote!

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=29312335

Thanks everyone!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work