Show Your Work 2008 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #571
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments guys!

Cheers

Herminio
Herminio Cordido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #572
Major Player

this had such great music in it, and i really enjoyed it. Great job! so different... it was awesome!
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #573
Regular Crew

Music profile video - UK Acoustic singer/songwriter - feedback appreciated

Hi Everyone,

This is a music profile video we were asked to put together for a local acoustic guitarist/songwriter. The idea was to give viewers an insight into the artist whilst showcasing the song 'Find Yourself'.

The video is to be placed on the artist's web site as well as sent out on DVD as part of a promotional pack.

So far everybody is very happy with the rough cut. We still need to run it through After Effects for proper scaling, colour grading and other tweaks/fixes.

http://www.wrenpod.net/dancrisp/preview.mov

I would love to hear any feedback if possible.

Many thanks

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #574
Major Player

It's quite difficult to do this kind of thing well but this basically works.

There was a technical problem with the sound. It was breaking up or clipping badly for the first half.

I don't know who the other two musicians are. I suppose they will be captioned.

My main suggestion would be not to jump around so much. I wasn't too sure about the shots of him singing on the beach. They might have been more convincing if he had a guitar with him.

Overall my guess is that it might work even better if there was more of a central performance on which to hang the other bits. I got the impression sometimes that the film was skipping around because you were worried that the audience might get bored. If this is true I think you can have more faith in the material/performance.

There's lots of ways to do this kind of thing. I'm just finishing off five films in a similar vein right now. I've been grappling with similar issues and these comments on your film are just first reactions. Hopefully they are useful on that basis.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #575
Regular Crew

Thanks Richard, yes your comments are most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
There was a technical problem with the sound. It was breaking up or clipping badly for the first half.
Strange, it plays ok when i just tested it. I will have a go from some other machines. What platform/player are you using?

Quote:
I don't know who the other two musicians are. I suppose they will be captioned.
Yes, I was going to do this during the AE phase. Otherwise it will all get nastily squashed when I scale it down.

Quote:
My main suggestion would be not to jump around so much. I wasn't too sure about the shots of him singing on the beach. They might have been more convincing if he had a guitar with him.
I think after shooting 5 tapes you get to the stage where you think you have everything. In the end it turns out that you end up substituting shots for ones that work (i.e. correct part of song) for ones that you prefer. I kind of agree with you but I suppose that is all part of the learning curve...

Quote:
Overall my guess is that it might work even better if there was more of a central performance on which to hang the other bits. I got the impression sometimes that the film was skipping around because you were worried that the audience might get bored. If this is true I think you can have more faith in the material/performance.
The locations were pretty much chosen by the client. I was worried that people might think that we were skipping around, however reactions so far have been very positive so hopefully this is not too apparent.

Quote:
There's lots of ways to do this kind of thing. I'm just finishing off five films in a similar vein right now. I've been grappling with similar issues and these comments on your film are just first reactions. Hopefully they are useful on that basis.
Yes very useful thanks. I wouldn't have posted it here if I was afraid of anybodys comments. I shall pass all the comments back to the team involved and hopefully they will all help.

Thanks for all your comments.
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:29 AM   #576
Major Player

Hi Alex

i just tried again and it played back fine. Must have been a glitch somewhere.

I pressgang friends into looking at rough cuts. It takes a thick skin but I'm sure the result is better because of it!

Good luck with the rest of the edit.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM   #577
Major Player

Spoutwood Fairie Song by Janet Spahr

Here is a little music video using a song written and performed by my wife that was shot in May 2008. It conveys the feeling of the Fairie Festival pretty well....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nNYXnaQg4Gs

btw, try the high quality link it really makes a difference

thanks for watching
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #578

What is that instrument she's playing? Looks like some type if inverted steel drum.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM   #579
Major Player

It's called a Hang (pronounced hung) and it is made by PanART.
If you go to http://hang-music.com you can find out more than you want to know.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM   #580
Disjecta

Olympic National Park

See it here:

http://exposureroom.com/members/disj...1df90/?em=View
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM   #581
Regular Crew

Awesome, that is a really great park!

I have to ask, even at the risk of sounding like a total newbie...are you just cropping the height of your video in post and framing accordingly when you shoot to get the super wide cinematic aspect ratio?
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM   #582
Trustee

Looks like a nice place to visit and you captured some beautiful memories. When the wave hit the log on the beach and the camera went haywire was that planned or for real. Looked like you almost got a dunking.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM   #583
Regular Crew

Wow. Let me just say your work always inspires me. I only wish you lived closer so you could take me under your wing and teach me how to actually use this camera. I do have one okay two questions for you. First what settings do you use for your low light situations? All of your work has almost no grain that I can see. I'm about to start filming a horror movie for some people ( I know probably not your foray) and some of it is supposed to be pretty dark. When I try this even with gain turned down I get a lot of grain. Okay my other question is what sticks you use when you're out and about. I have a decent ( in my opinion) set but there fairly heavy and a pain to carry around. Just curious
Kevin Myhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:50 AM   #584
New Boot

Vader vs Walker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8AbsFVVrKg

check this out

nickfilms.com
star wars fan film
Nick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #585
Major Player

May the force be up you.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work