Show Your Work 2008 - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 10th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #766
Trustee

If you really want to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
nobody has any advice? criticisms?
I never been in Times Square or Greenwich Village so ignore this if you like:

Most of the time I couldn't tell which was which, and have have no idea how the recurring shots of the trains fit in to the story. I didn't feel I had actually seen either location clearly by the end - too many many shots up in the air or at "clever angles". It left me none the wiser.

I understood what you were wanting to do from your blog but I am not quite sure you achieved what you set out to do.

Now don't go getting all discouraged because some old f**t from abroad didn't get the hang of it - others may well disagree with me. What does matter is that you are coming out with good ideas, planning ahead, shooting better than most of the population could ever hope to, then (and most important) standing back and evaluating your work and having the courage to ask others what they think. Good on you!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #767
New Boot

thanks guys.

tried to not do the original just timelapse work, but tried to add a different feel.
took some work to do that because i was the one painting, filming, and moving everything.

haha
Nick Mitzenmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #768
Major Player

I kind of had to skim through it as I am working at the moment...but it looked a little dark (may be a combination of my monitor resolution and me rushing)...but good job and great way to make a long process interesting! Do you only shoot in HD, or just on certain projects?

Oh yeah, and nice painting!
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #769
Major Player

Thanks for your input guys, it is appreciated.

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #770
New Boot

Cadabra Ave. - "THIS is your kids show!?"

A behind the scenes look at how the Children's Television Sweatshop create an episode of their educational programming.
"This isn't Shrek."

http://www.vimeo.com/1198479
Attached Thumbnails
Show Your Work 2008-cadabra-ave.jpg  
Layi Babalola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #771
New Boot

New EX1/Letus Extreme short: FINNISH SUMMER

Here it is, I hope you like it:

http://exposureroom.com/members/Marc...27e7ac28d9577/
Marco Menestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #772
Trustee

I weep for my childhood ;)

well done!
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #773
Major Player

Hey Mike,
What a great place to be a videographer, I mean wow! And I just have to say I love Muse. I forget about them for awhile and then they just pop up again. I agree that the shots were a bit long. I like the idea of being judicious with shots, and using them as needed. I heard Robert Allen say once that too many videographers feel the need to use enough shots to end the song when instead they should be using the best shots, and what moves the story along. Good look to everything, and I am jealous of 3 things.
#1 Virgin Islands
#2 EX1
#3 Muse in a wedding video.
Thanks for posting Mike...
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #774
New Boot

Thanks John.
Glad you enjoyed the video and liked the painting.

And yes, i only shoot in HD now, i figure, i have the computer power, enough hard drives, and the camera to support it all, so i might as well shoot in HD if its available.
ha =)

thanks again man.
Nick Mitzenmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #775
Major Player

Hi Lee,

Intresting work although I would also agree a bit lengthy. I'm curious as to what method you used to do that super fast pull-back shot from the kids face to the beginning of the hall way. Did you use zoom or did you use a kart? That was a great effect.

Oliver Pahlow
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #776
Major Player

Hi Paul,

I just watched your trailer. That was great. I definitely like the look and feel. Would love to make it to the festival and see the whole thing, but I can't...:(
Anyway, good luck. I'm sure it will be well recieved.

Oliver Pahlow
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #777
New Boot

Violent Jake World Premiere

Hey Guys,

I've been putting together the pilot for an web-based short-form dramatic series for a couple of year now. We've just recently completed our pilot and will be premiering at the Independent Television festival, in L.A., on the first week of August.

Anyone who likes this kind of stuff and is in the area, it would be great it you came out to help support our project.

It was shot on an HVX200 with a M2 adapter and Zeiss Super-speeds, and a lot of moxie.

I cannot display the episodes we've created online until after the premiere, but you can check out Teaser Trailer and some stills at the following link.

http://itvfest.bside.com/2008/films/...ke_itvfest2008

I hope to see anyone who can make it. It's going to be a blast. Drop me a thread if you'll be there and I'll save you a Violent Jake t-shirt.

Cheers everyone,
Sam
Samuel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #778
New Boot

"Initial"-Action/Drama for 72hr Film Competition

Hello all!

Recently, I partaked in the 72 Hour Film Shootout by the Asian American Film Lab. The goal of the competition (which is standard) was to write, shoot, and edit a film with a 72 hour time span while incorporating a given theme. In addition, the film had to be five minutes or less. The theme this year was "a first goodbye".

If anyone has seen my most recent films, I am very keen on doing atmospheric romances but my team and I decided it would be a good change of pace to do an Action/Drama. Something stylistic, fast paced, and as potent as we can make it.

Cast:
Sarah Yu as SammiJun Naito as Nakayama
Wayne Chang as Timothy Lau
Eddie Wong as Sammi's Boss
Eddie Lebron Sr. as Nakayama's Boss
Hugo Salazar as Earpiece Officer
Eddie Wong as Lau's Client

Written by:
Eddie Lebron, Sarah Yu, Jun Naito, and Wayne Chang

Cinematography, Edited, and Directed by:
Eddie Lebron

Synopsis:
"For two different purposes, a hitwoman on her first assignment and a overly loose canon detective both target and pursuit the same individual in Manhattan's Chinatown. As these events transpire, it becomes more clear as to why the hitwoman has decided to finally make her first kill."

Stills:

http://platinumcinema.com/platinum/i_still1.jpg

http://platinumcinema.com/platinum/i_still1.jpg

http://platinumcinema.com/platinum/i_still2.jpg.jpg

http://platinumcinema.com/platinum/i_still4.jpg

The Film:

Embebdded, HQ version:
http://www.eddielebron.com/initial.html

YouTube Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PzywuOdeNM

I must say, I am EXTREMELY pleased with how the film came out. If anything, the 5 minute restriction we had tested my editorial abilities and intuitions. In such situations, you have to cut out and let go of anything unnecessary which is hard when you are married to all the footage you shot but it's important to learn if you want to pace everything correctly.

Please comment and thanks again!
Eddie Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #779
New Boot

Thanks for the comments!

I seem very keen on tight shots such as close up's, especially for romances. When it comes to interiors and exteriors, I guess it's because I find exteriors more visually appealing and more complex so I tend to have a few more wider angles to create a scale. Interiors seem more intimate so there is no need to use too many wider shots.

Hope more people watch and comment!
Eddie Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #780
Regular Crew

Some screen grabs from the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Your Work 2008-ducati-still.jpg   Show Your Work 2008-helo-shot.jpg  

Show Your Work 2008-jeff-train.jpg   Show Your Work 2008-jeff-n-clouds.jpg  

Show Your Work 2008-jeff-truck.jpg   Show Your Work 2008-sunset.jpg  

Show Your Work 2008-visor.jpg  
Derek Nickell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work