Show Your Work 2008 - Page 62 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #916
Regular Crew

I liked the video. I think you could've done more with the whole mad scientist/horror movie concept. For example when he's outside with all those people you could've made a everyone look like zombies ala Thriller (no sequence dancing).
Langston Sessoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #917
Regular Crew

Thanks Aron.
Paul Whittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #918
Major Player

Oh, I love that.

I loved the spiderweb, and the raccoons and that shot of the leaves right before the snail which was also quite nice.

I loved Baked Apple - wonderful short. Weird. Funny. And inventive.

Nice work all the way around.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #919
New Boot

teaser test

something I've been working on of late, hopefully it's worthy enough for display...
it may take a few minutes to down load

http://www.starwarsresurrection.com/...%20Trailer.mov
Rick J. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #920
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J. Johnson View Post
something I've been working on of late, hopefully it's worthy enough for display...
it may take a few minutes to down load

http://www.starwarsresurrection.com/...%20Trailer.mov
Pretty cool! I think the beginning could be spiced up a bit with more than just text. Maybe on the "beats" you could flash the text and it could change. I didn't see much in the pacing, perhaps add more of your own sound effects to make the shot transitions more "active". And last I think that a quote or multiple quotes from the production would help bring the teaser a little bit more perspective. That's my two cents! Good work.
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #921
Regular Crew

As with most things Star Wars related, I simply get an overwhelming urge to look and it has to be said that I was pleasantly suprised. I'm not convinced by the western music, for the want of a better description, but the rest of it looks promising.
James Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #922
Major Player

i really enjoyed that, looks very well produced. I would have liked to have seen less text in the begining though but other than that i thought it was excellent.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #923
Major Player

I really enjoyed that, the quality was very nice too. Bloodtsianed moth is still my fav tho :p I wish i heard about this horror competition, sounds like fun. Was it just a one off do you know?
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #924
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

I really enjoyed that, and I can see what you were getting at when you said that you didn't spend as much time on it.

In my very humble opinion, it would be even better if you did the following:

- Loose or change the 'shine' type effect. It looks bad, and devalues all the hard work you've put in, and the obvious talent that you have.

- Spend a bit more time on the skin displacement. It's looking good, but I honestly think YOU can make it better. You done a great job on the end effects in Bloodstained Moth, and are more than capable of doing it.

- Eye replacement at the end would seal the deal. From how you shot the piece, I certainly was expecting it and was suprised when it didn't happen.

These are only my suggestions, but I seriously think they would enhance a good piece of work.

cheers,

James.
James Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #925
Major Player

Need opinion on commercial

Well we typically stick with real estate tours but one of our clients needed a commercial shot (very low budget) and I had the time, let me know what you think.

http://videomemoriesinc.com/kriegel/...20edit%201.wmv

Just looked at the wmv myself and I noticed my voice at the end is out of sync, I will look over that, it also doesn't look as smooth as the original. Hopefully a web thing.

Comments on the shoot would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #926
New Boot

I thought the video was a good, I've watched a lot of your videos and have seen you progress. How did you get the letters to swing like that, very cool effect. Keep it up!
Shaftone Dunklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #927
Regular Crew

Hurricane Gustav damage

Hurricane Gustav Aftermath on Vimeo

Nothing special or fancy here. Just a collage of damage footage shot on a Canon HF100. Shot it on the lowest setting and used just a B&W and brightness/contrast effect on it in Vegas. Very simple.

This was more about getting footage of it rather than making something really spectacular.
Jared Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #928
Wrangler

I was just there last week shooting a doc on the aftermath. Spent a couple days on location in Baton Rouge. I can't share the work because I don't have the rights to it. In one shot, I have a traffic light dangling a few feet off the ground.. twisting in the wind.. with the red light flashing.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #929
Regular Crew

The radio station WJBO was really all we had to get info. Phones and power were out, along with the net of course. We got hit exceptionally hard and it's the worst I've ever been through. Worst our area has had.

President Bush was landing at the Baton Rouge Metro airport when I was waiting in line for 6 hours to get MREs from the national guard equipped with fully-automatic machine guns.

Sounds fun, eh? =/

Let's hope you won't have to come back for Ike :|
Jared Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #930
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the comments. I’m really pleased you enjoyed it.

Daniel, this is the second year of the competition. The first was two years ago. The organisers have stated that there will be another.

James, thank you for all your points. They are all on the money and I completely agree. In particular, I intended to add some special fx to the eyes but I ran out of time. Maybe now the deadline has passed I will work on the fx.
Mark Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work