Show Your Work 2008 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #196
Regular Crew

I don't mean doing editing work for directors and the like, I mean transferring and editing home movies to DVD.
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:00 AM   #197
New Boot

OK, then perhaps putting together a montage of stills or home movies from your own family or friends would be more useful to show what you can do for a potential client.

If you have the gear & expertise to transfer VHS to DVD or scan photos, say so.If you don't, do a little research here on DVi & learn how ; it's not difficult.

I believe I read on the site that you are running Final Cut Studio 2 so you have some powerful audio creation tools at your disposal already but there are also great resources for soundtracks you can get permission to use for free or darned close to it.I use Acid loops and flashkit.com has a lot of great stuff.

Maybe there's a friend or relative with a kid who plays sports.Offer to tape a game for free if they'll allow you to use some footage on your site ,either embedded or via a link like Breakaway.Make sure you get permission from all involved.Plenty of proud but busy and/or technically-challenged parents out there who'd pay to have little Johnny/Jane's soccer exploits to bore their relatives with at family get-togethers.

Make the material you use on the site and the info you give target the clients and services as specifically as possible.
Richard Steenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM   #198
New Boot

umm.. anything at all? :P
Tomas Stavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM   #199
Regular Crew

Thanks Ash,
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM   #200
New Boot

A little film

A little film I made last christmas http://www.vimeo.com/711361
Kristjan Kristjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM   #201
Major Player

My Music video?

This is my first attempt at a music video. What am I doing wrong?

http://www.blindchildproductions.com..._in_Motion.wmv

Thanks,

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM   #202
Regular Crew

My New Netflix Spec Commercial Now Online!

Hey guys, this is my new Netflix spec commercial. It's really cool. Please check it out!

http://tripleeproductions.wordpress.com

Thanks so much! A "behind the scenes" will be up soon!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:38 AM   #203
Regular Crew

Queensryche Mindcrime II Trailer

Hey everyone,

About two years ago, the rock band Queensryche hired me and my company to produce video content for Part II of their Mindcrime tour. I don't know if any of you saw the show, but it's pretty much a theatrical live action presentation of the Mindcrime story, with some video used to fill in parts that can't be done on stage or provide atmosphere.

Because a lot of this stuff was quick snippets to play before songs started and a lot of the focus is on the live stuff, there aren't too many scenes to cut a trailer from. So, it became more or less a collection of cool shots showing what we did.

None-the-less, I'd be curious to see what you guys think. A warning; some parts appear dark on my laptop screen but look fine on my desktop (both macs) so, let me know if things are too dark.

No color correction has been done yet.

Enjoy:

http://www.meydenbauerentertainment.com/Queensryche.mov

Josh
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM   #204

Nicely done, Josh. One of the better things I've seen here!

The audio track was great. Where did that come from?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM   #205
Regular Crew

My Demo

Check it. Let me know what you think-

http://www.animalplanetpv.com/Reel.html
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM   #206
Regular Crew

Wow, very very cool, I have been a huge Queensryche fan for many many years, you are one lucky guy to have gotten the opportunity to work with them, your work on this looks very nice.

Paul
Paul Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM   #207
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
The audio track was great. Where did that come from?
The opening music is actually the opening track to the Mindcrime II album. The other music is a track called Pompeii by E.S. Posthumous.

Also, I forgot to mention that we shot all of this on the XL2 with a 14x manual lens. We had some stuff on the stage (including the prison which we built) and greenscreen, but most of it was shot with available light on the streets of Seattle.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM   #208
Major Player

It was cool enough. What's it for? Are you selling some sort of service?

I like the dog doing a backflip, that was my favorite part.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM   #209
Major Player

In need of a critique

I need alot of help and have few (no) chances for professional feedback. Would love some comments, thoughts, etc., on my trailer. You can be harsh/honest.

http://www.vimeo.com/717584
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM   #210
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,

thanks for sharing your work!
The steadicam shots we very impressive, especially the last one. What system did you use? I had the feeling that you are very involved with the canyon and the region, surrounding it. This gave me a very authentic feeling when I watched your trailer.

however, I wasn't perfectly happy with it - I was a little bit missing a story. Your movie looks like a bunch of random shots, sound and comments without a real story in it.

These are my main critique points:

- Without your comment at vimeo nobody would know what the guys in the movie are talking about. Just the first guy speaks very vague about "if the dam would be built".
- You're fading in the first speaker so that the beginning of his comment is hard to understand
- If I understood it right, the next guy talks about a huge sand bar and that rafts will not be able to go over it. Is this really one of the most important issues regarding the dam?
- What's the message of the guy who got stuck in the mudd, the two hikers and why does the capricorn jump up the hill in slow motion? Why does the music end so abrupt in this moment?
- What's the message of the insect at 0:40 - 0:48 which is just about to drown?
- I was also surprised about the instrument starting at 0:40 that sounds like a Australian didgeridoo. Aren't you in the US?
- 0:50 the slow-motion comment is just annoying.
- the next shots of the canyon and the comments about its beauty are nice.
- the following interviews are not too bad, however I found them to be pretty incoherent.

I hope that my comments don't sound too harsh!? I think you should go and write a little list of what you want to explain with your movie first:

- main facts about the dam, the canyon and why they want to build it.
- impact on humans, wildlife, fauna?
- what are the alternatives to building this dam?

Next, bring your answers into a logical order, think about which pictures could tell this story and with which comments and interviews you could underline them. And - there it is - your storybook for a great movie! :-)

All you have to do then is go out and make it... ;-)

Cheers,

Oliver

Last edited by Oliver Reik; February 23rd, 2008 at 03:28 AM.
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work