Show Your Work 2008 - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:02 AM   #736
Major Player

watched only 1st video and strongly recommend, not to use white background or white clothes when afro-american skin is present. This will make them underexposed, so you wont even see their nose and background or clothes burned out, especially when shooting on video...
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM   #737
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. We will try changing the order of the text in the end graphic. Based on your suggestion, I might look for a waveform that we can use a maybe "grow" it to end the piece.

Thanks again,
Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM   #738
Major Player

School Project

Hey guys,
Just did a school project and wanted to see what you thought of it so I could get better. My teacher didn't leave many comments, although I did get an A.

http://blog.exquisite-video.com/?p=26

The assignment was to tell a story using no sound and no actors. I would love some comments on what you think of it.

-Louis

ps. You can show the blog some comment love too if you would like.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #739

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on re-shooting the first video within a couple of weeks and I will remember all of your advice. I have only been "behind the camera" for 2 months now. I work alone and I'm learning as I go along, but it has been great so far. Thanks again!
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #740
Major Player

Watch MTV

I would take a note pad a voice recorder and possilby a TIVO or something like that and STUDY the vids you see on MTV. Watch your favorite ones over and over thinking about how they made those shots.

Granted you will likely not have a jib, crane on dolly (or a few 100k) at your one man band show but you will get some great ideas. Really study how the shot was made and take notes. Forget the graphics and animation for now...

Read "Rebel without a Crew". I read this book in two sittings. The fact that you have been "behind" the camera only two months and have produced this video is fantastic! I've been behind the camera over 20 years and haven't made a "real" music video. Looks like loads of fun :)

Just keep at it and don't just zone in front of the TV..... try to figure out how each shot was created.

All the best!
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #741
Inner Circle

First videoclip 'One Love' by D-Large

Hi,

our production company just finished our first music video clip, a low budget clip of the song 'One Love' by the hiphop-artist D-Large.

We wanted to have another atmosphere than the usual hiphop videoclip, and I hope we succeeded.
There is a little instance where the singing doesn't seem in synch, but it's only in the web version. It was our first time (first time with the EX1, first time with a dolly and jib we bought, first time videoclip, first time I worked with more then 4 people,...) and we learned a lot, but still: all feedback is welcome.

I recommend everyone to watch it in High Quality on youtube because there is a big difference in image sharpness. Shot on an Sony EX1 in 2 days with some 20 people in total (people in front of the camera included) who were all so great to lend us their time and talents.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jcEZ7f1f8IQ

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #742

That's exactly what I have been doing for the last 2 weeks. MTV is horrible though, they replay and reloop the same 12 videos or so, across 3 channels and then call it "diverse programming". I started watching music videos via Youtube recently, like the Mark Romaneck, Glazier, etc...these are the types of videos I really want to make, I just have to get my budget to agree. :)

I have read Robert Rodriguez's book twice. I love it and highly recommend it to anyone interested in filmmaking. He demystifies filmmaking and makes it totally accessible.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #743

I like the concept, however the video seems a bit slow (pacing?, editing?) The puppet sequence worked well and the strong backlight shining through actually looked great. What kind of lighting did you use?
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #744
Inner Circle

Hi Desi,

yes, we wanted people to absorb more of the shots then have a flashy editing. The song itself is a slower love song too.

Lighting... I was cameraman but not DOP so I'll try and gues: I think 1x Arri 2.5k light, some 800 watt Jokers with Chimera's (I hope I'm correct) and cheap theatre spots. (all rented).
For the puppet sequence we couldn't really get the lightning that we liked and suddenly the DOP thought of putting the big Arri 2.5k light after the dancers with a wooden pallette in front of it, creating lines.
We also used a smoke machine, which helped a lot in creating a more stylized look that we were after.

Thanks for your time and feedback,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #745
Regular Crew

Reef Aquarium video

http://www.vimeo.com/1255118
The playback is a bit choppy- still working on getting the best compromise between quality and smooth playback. I used Premiere CS3 and h.264 for this. A lot of the camera work looks rough... all I can say is it ain't easy! Smooth pans and zooms are tough when the lens is so close to the subject but practice is improving my skills. The camera is a Canon XH-A1. Thanks for looking.
Greg
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #746
Regular Crew

Very cool- great idea and excecution.
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #747
New Boot

Great camera work, Mike! I enjoyed your compositions and the power of the EX1. I like the song on its own but I wouldn't have chosen it for this piece.

Besides that my only criticism might be to shorten your shots some. Albeit, the shots were all great, a lot of them seemed too long and slowed the pace somewhat.

Nice stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #748
Major Player

Did I get the Job? Show Reel

The introduction to my show reel. http://vimeo.com/1293388 After this runs the viewer will be able to select any of the snippets to play full length, but before I continue I wanted to see what you all thought.

Love it, hate it, or is it a "Don't call us we will call you?"

Appreciate the input.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Montgomery; July 7th, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #749
Regular Crew

WOW! He is good! Nice work!
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #750
Major Player

Audio for signature

Hi all,

I just got my music that will play during my signature. A friend of mine did one a month ago, he is a lawyer by day and a music lover by night so he did it just for fun, the other one was done by a pro though.

I'm kinda torn between them, your feedback would sure help me.

www.production24fps.com/signature.htm

Don't pay attention to the video quality. These are not from the source, I reencoded the already encoded demo so quality is poor, the audio part is fine though.

Thanks

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work