Opinions on knee surgery video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 10th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Opinions on knee surgery video

I would like to hear from anyone who has an opinion about a new piece of mine.

Imagine you are the head of PR at a large hospital. I come to you with a proposal to make a series of short videos that demonstrate the various procedures performed at the hospital and how they change lives for the better. The videos could be distributed on a DVD in an information packet or be available on the hospital website for anyone who needs information or reassurance on a specific operation.

This one is about arthroscopic knee surgery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAHBEOzZhNM

What do you think about the proposal? Any suggestions to make the video better?

Thanks,
Mike
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Major Player

I would suggest a more 'typical' patient. Music is not right at the beginning, voices are not strong enough and are mixed under the music bed. Other places the audio is hard to understand. Surgery shots might be a little too graphic. I would try to avoid the 'ick' factor. Let's see what others think.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson View Post
I would suggest a more 'typical' patient. Music is not right at the beginning, voices are not strong enough and are mixed under the music bed. Other places the audio is hard to understand. Surgery shots might be a little too graphic. I would try to avoid the 'ick' factor. Let's see what others think.
Thanks Glenn. I'm going to work on fixing the audio. Could you elaborate on the music at the beginning? It's not right how? Do you have a suggestion to make it better?

I've been having an internal debate about the graphic nature of some of the shots. If my objective is to calm the fears of someone who is going in for this surgery, then I would agree with you. However, I found that without them the video simply wasn't as interesting. If my objective is to demonstrate the reality of the procedure, I feel that they need to stay. I am curious to see what a hospital PR person would say but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'm going to keep the subject. I think he's an attention getter just because he's different. Plus, he's my cousin and will squash me like a bug if I don't use his footage!! ;-)
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #4
Major Player

To my ears the music distracts from the voiceover at the top. Maybe just lower it in mix. I viewed it a couple of times and I am just throwing out quick comments. Good job over all.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson View Post
To my ears the music distracts from the voiceover at the top. Maybe just lower it in mix. I viewed it a couple of times and I am just throwing out quick comments. Good job over all.
Thanks. I appreciate the input and think you were right on for the most part.
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Trustee

Mike, I am all for the idea. Several years ago I went in for a tooth implant. The Dentist showed me a video (animated) that walked me through the entire procces. Man did that make me feel better.

Most of the fear of surgury is the unknown. Doctors are not generally trained in Risk Communication. Your video is exactly what the patient needs in order to understand what he/she is going to go through.

Suggestions, the music is bad. Try useing general hospital background noise (low volume). Actual knee surgury was very well done. I would add in a voice over by the Dr explaining why removing the material will help the knee. I was not clear on that issue.

Keep up the good work, I encourage you to do other productions. I think the big niche will be at Doctors offices, and not hospitals. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
Suggestions, the music is bad. Try useing general hospital background noise (low volume). Bob
Thanks for your input Bob. It is indeed an oversight not to incude more of an explanation of WHY the doctor is doing what he is doing. I will have to remedy that.

I also hadn't considered that it might be the doctors and not the hospital who might be interested in this. In my defense it was a hospital PR person who suggested it during a documentary I was taping in her building.

When you say the music is bad, do you mean that particular piece, or the concept of music in general over video of surgery? I thought that piece gave the feeling of time passing and the doctor concentrating, although I realize that everyone hears these things differently.

I'm sure I could find a different piece of music if I thought that it would make it better but are you saying use none at all? My first impression about that is that it would really make that section drag. Your thoughts?
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work