DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   CNN Headline News & Univision - Crane Collapse shot with XL-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/98477-cnn-headline-news-univision-crane-collapse-shot-xl-1-a.html)

James Emory July 8th, 2007 10:22 PM

CNN Headline News & Univision - Crane Collapse shot with XL-1

I shot this crane collapse content for CNN Headline news last Monday, July 2, 2007. The police video actually shows the crane falling on the car! It ran all day long the next day. It also aired on Univision. It was shot with a Canon XL-1.

Crane Collapse on Car

Paul Cascio July 9th, 2007 09:59 AM

Nice shot. I'd say you were lucky - twice!

Did you make any money for this? On air credit?

Were you considered a suspect? :-)

James Emory July 9th, 2007 06:49 PM

Yes, I guess it is lucky to get paid these days with all of the people giving video away for FREE! I don't work for free anymore so yes, I got paid twice.

Glenn Davidson July 9th, 2007 06:55 PM

I saw the cop cam footage on LiveLeak. It is interesting to see footage of what the result was. Having that live footage of the accident happening probably made it a national story.

So do you cruise around with your XL1 and a Bearcat or did you just happen by?

Mark Bournes July 10th, 2007 05:42 AM

Good video, right place right time, Glad you got paid for your video, man that lady was lucky, the crane just missed her, thank God there was no one in the backseat.

James Emory July 10th, 2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson (Post 709493)
... Having that live footage of the accident happening probably made it a national story.

Yes, the dash camera footage definitely helped to move that video.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson (Post 709493)
... So do you cruise around with your XL1 and a Bearcat or did you just happen by?

I always carry my camera wherever I go anyway and I do have a scanner because I operate my own breaking news video website in my area. So that's where my non regional or national interest content goes in addition to the content that does make it to higher levels like this did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Bournes (Post 709673)
Good video, right place right time, Glad you got paid for your video, man that lady was lucky, the crane just missed her, thank God there was no one in the backseat.

Yes, she was very lucky. Just another foot or two and that would have done it.

Glenn Davidson July 10th, 2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory (Post 709979)
I operate my own breaking news video website in my area.

Wow. I would like to check that out. Looks like they blured out your info. That footage you shot looked great. It fit CNN perfectly. Handheld quick zoom out and pan, sharp, etc. Cool stuff.

James Emory July 11th, 2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson (Post 710146)
Wow. I would like to check that out. Looks like they blured out your info. That footage you shot looked great. It fit CNN perfectly. Handheld quick zoom out and pan, sharp, etc. Cool stuff.

The reason that area is blurred out is because they had received someone elses amateur footage from an Atlanta affiliate that got it for FREE. The media information got mixed up and they credited another news source in my area! When I saw it, I was livid and quickly called them and they promptly corrected it by blurring that name out for the rest of the day. The important thing is that I got paid though.

Sorry, I can't post my news website because I don't want to publicize it anywhere other than the my local market area so I can get accurate local traffic viewer reports only. But below is my cut that is shown on my news site with interviews that CNN didn't use. Other sites in my area and elsewhere don't seem to care about outside traffic skewing their veiwer reports so their viewer traffic for their local area is artificially inflated so they can deceive their sponsors and justify charging more for ads. Unfortunately, that's a common practice. I actually like to know how many local viewers ONLY are viewing my site and video and the only way to do that is to not advertise anywhere outside of my area.

Crane Collapse Video Local Cut