2 Spec Commercial - DVX/M2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

2 Spec Commercial - DVX/M2

Hey,

Finally decided to let my ego take a stab.

I am pursuing a career as a commercial director. And these two are my first two spec commercials.

I shot this with a DVX100a/M2 adapter.

After watching Phillip Hudson footage and other HD quality footage with the RedRock M2... I have to say -I should have gone HD.

Give me any feedback you have and don't pull punches. Anywhere from what you think of the concept - to the lighting - to the quality...etc

here is the link

www.tangfilms.com
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I only looked at pennzoil cause I'm in a bit of a hurry.

First reaction: great! Professional audio, solid acting and good editting.
But: the storyline is very predictable and maybe even a bit cliché. It's a bit easy to relate such things to sex... But okay, maybe that's just me. Some technical stuff: I thought the clip was a bit too dark. I saw a lot of grain, and I think that's just the result of bad lightning (could be something else though). There's one thing in the video where I lost the story for a second. That's when the girl starts pulling (?). Her face is very weird and next thing she's out of the car. I couldn't really understand that. You should look into that (in editing?)

But overall: nice job. I'll look into the other clip tonight.
Ivo van Aart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #3
Major Player

I just watched ARRI. My first thought was great audio and great acting. Pretty funny concept. The editing of the chicken scene at 'sunrise' seems a little choppy. A shot from the birds perspective that really looks like sunrise would be better. Overall, great, funny stuff.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Jun, these are good ideas. If I have any crits it's that I think the lighting is a bit flat. There are easy steps you can take to make your subjects read better within the frame so I think there were some missed opportunities. I don't think it's too dark, I think you didn't make that dark pop with stronger key lighting. Also, I agree with the above poster as you appear to have missed a shot. You should have the build up of her seeming to go for the guy's you-know-what but instead ends up grabbing the hood release.
Seeing her breasts at the end is a bit gratutitous, we get the point already about the supposed sexual tension. After you've established that she's interested in the car's engine and not his, you should stay with that and focus on selling the product, not her cleavage. I think the Arri spot can be edited down a quite a bit and, as the previous poster said, you missed a shot on that one as well. Just my two-cents. Overall very good job, though. You'll make a great commercial director someday! Hope this crit isn't too harsh.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
missed opportunities.
What do you mean?

Quote:
Seeing her breasts at the end is a bit gratutitous, we get the point already about the supposed sexual tension. After you've established that she's interested in the car's engine and not his, you should stay with that and focus on selling the product, not her cleavage.
I can see your point.
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson View Post
I just watched ARRI. My first thought was great audio and great acting. Pretty funny concept. The editing of the chicken scene at 'sunrise' seems a little choppy. A shot from the birds perspective that really looks like sunrise would be better. Overall, great, funny stuff.
Thanks...All these comments are going into my proverbial experience bag.
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #7
Major Player

[QUOTE=Jun Tang;713908]What do you mean?

I'm talking specifically about rim lighting of the hair and a background light, say, several feet behind the car and low to the ground so that when it shines up we see some definition of the car's rear window, backseat, etc...think depth, so that your forms don't read so flat. When lighting think of everything in layers, (foreground elements, midground, background) and, depending on what you're trying to achieve, how to light those individual "layers".
The challenge, at least for me, is to make things look natural and not have that "lit" look to them.
I look at my recent short film and see certain areas where I could have definitely done better.
Always learning...
on a funnier note...I noticed I mis-spelled gratuitous. How I spelled it, considering what I was talking about, is what makes it funny.
Best of luck.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

what is a "SPEC" spot today ?
back in the 80-90's they were spots that individuals made and then would send them to ( in this case ) Pennzoil & Arri ... so one would do a bit of reserach on the product and go from there ...

i don't see these as spots .. to me they are Directed, shot , edited as if a section out of a short ( or long) dramatic project with a tag line at the end.... in that, i find them good pieces .. as commercials ? well ? have you ever considered a day job Directing shorts or features ?
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
The challenge, at least for me, is to make things look natural and not have that "lit" look to them.
Hey Eric,

I see what you mean now. I absolutely agree that it does both look dark...even for a 'night' scene.

This was a run-and-gun shot in the park...so no permits, no genie, and no lights.

Also, I lean toward something that looks natural or have the light 'motivate' by a source. I heard that on a commentary of 'Godfather' how Gordon Willis tend to light if it's motivated.

But from this, a learning experience. I would know what to look for in the future...which I will post up for crit. I would prefer to collaborate with a cinematographer.
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Donatello View Post
i don't see these as spots .. to me they are Directed, shot , edited as if a section out of a short ( or long) dramatic project with a tag line at the end.... in that, i find them good pieces
Hey Don,

Thanks for your comment. I don't know if that is a compliment or not. I did want to shoot it like a 'short film' so in a way I achieve what I want. (as far as concept and the way it was directed) I still wish it was lit better and shot on HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Donatello View Post

.. as commercials ? well ? have you ever considered a day job Directing shorts or features ?
Ultimately, I would like to do feature. I might work on short films soon...but day job...if only I can find someone to pay to get it made.

But thanks for the compliment.
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #11
Major Player

Cool, Jun. Keep up the good work.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work