Scripts, shooting scripts, shot lists... oh my. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #1
New Boot

Scripts, shooting scripts, shot lists... oh my.

Hello all,

I am proceeding with my first production, a short, and am trying to master my workflow. In viewing various resources and having been in a film but not seen much of any paperwork, I am curious about the organization. Not the business side, the script/idea/shot list side.

I have written a script only to turn around and make a shooting script with all the angles and CU's and all that on an excel spread sheet. Being that my actors get to pick their own lines for the most part, (they know where the scene is going), it is the shooting script that is more important, along with the stick figure storyboard I have made.

Though lengthly, let me list my work flow - paper work side - and comments are welcome on that.

In a binder:
1) Script
2) Shooting script with angles and all that - cross off once the 'good' take has occured
-I realize I can still miss coverage on dialogue so I always do master shots to at least get something-
3) Story board
(This all lets me direct and organize the slate shots, which is the same binder, snapping)

On a clip board, recorded as we go:
'Shot list' confirming which takes were 'good' according to the shooting scipt by number, including time code, and audio (I am doing 2 system audio)

'Editing log'
This is the list of compiled 'good' takes from the prior 'Shot lists' (It has categories for #, Tape, In, Video, Audio, Trn/Gr/FX) for when I sit down at the PC.

Despite all this, I find that I do several extra shots for coverage (and even then I don't seem to get it all.) I do a Master, Facial's or OTS's, reactions shots, and environment shots (fingers tapping, etc)

Now, with one camera, I find that I have the actors try the scene as a master, then I do the whole thing again OTS of one, then the other. 3 takes. That said, they really have to be 'good' takes. I don't know how to document this other than 'wild shots' or scene 1a master, scene 1b OTS facing john smith, 1c OTS facing mike jones. That way I know they are all part of that scene but different components of it, each of which I will have to choose at the editing table.

Any thoughts are welcome, any other workflows are welcome. I find it valuable to hear all the angles.

Thanks,

Jer
Jeremy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Smith View Post
Hello all,

I am proceeding with my first production, a short, and am trying to master my workflow. In viewing various resources and having been in a film but not seen much of any paperwork, I am curious about the organization. Not the business side, the script/idea/shot list side.

I have written a script only to turn around and make a shooting script with all the angles and CU's and all that on an excel spread sheet. Being that my actors get to pick their own lines for the most part, (they know where the scene is going), it is the shooting script that is more important, along with the stick figure storyboard I have made.

Though lengthly, let me list my work flow - paper work side - and comments are welcome on that.

In a binder:
1) Script
2) Shooting script with angles and all that - cross off once the 'good' take has occured
-I realize I can still miss coverage on dialogue so I always do master shots to at least get something-
3) Story board
(This all lets me direct and organize the slate shots, which is the same binder, snapping)

On a clip board, recorded as we go:
'Shot list' confirming which takes were 'good' according to the shooting scipt by number, including time code, and audio (I am doing 2 system audio)

'Editing log'
This is the list of compiled 'good' takes from the prior 'Shot lists' (It has categories for #, Tape, In, Video, Audio, Trn/Gr/FX) for when I sit down at the PC.

Despite all this, I find that I do several extra shots for coverage (and even then I don't seem to get it all.) I do a Master, Facial's or OTS's, reactions shots, and environment shots (fingers tapping, etc)

Now, with one camera, I find that I have the actors try the scene as a master, then I do the whole thing again OTS of one, then the other. 3 takes. That said, they really have to be 'good' takes. I don't know how to document this other than 'wild shots' or scene 1a master, scene 1b OTS facing john smith, 1c OTS facing mike jones. That way I know they are all part of that scene but different components of it, each of which I will have to choose at the editing table.

Any thoughts are welcome, any other workflows are welcome. I find it valuable to hear all the angles.

Thanks,

Jer
I find having a script super on set, or even someone to just take notes for each take to be very important. When something I love/hate happens in each take, or I need a note for editing (I'm my own editor), I have this person note it. That way I'm always able to remember what I was thinking on shooting day.

I generally don't do a shot list, shooting script, or storyboards. I make notations on my script and go from there. I know every nuance of my script that I can already see it edited together so what's the point if I run my own camera? I don't need to communicate it to anyone, so I can just shoot what I see. Even for complex stuff, like a rootop shootout with tons of CGI I was ok. I have a scene coming up with 10 actors in a Mexican stand-off that I'll have to map out, so far scenes involving multiple persons in different locations, I'll map it out with a shot list.
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Heath,

Thank you Heath,

I appreciate the input. I love your color correction by the way.

I am going to go half way down the 'every shot' is planned and some are not, now that I look at it. Its the key shots that I don't want to forget. Thank you again, I appreciate the advice from those who have done it.

Jer
Jeremy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Major Player

No problem. Thank you for taking a look at my work. The best stuff is yet to come.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to email me. My address is on the site. Best of luck.
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Smith View Post
Its the key shots that I don't want to forget.
Jer
Bingo! That's why I use shot list.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Tourist

Re: Scripts, shooting scripts, shot lists... oh my.

Hi,

What does the 'Trn' column stand for please?

Many thanks,

Anna McPherson.
Anna McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Trustee

Jeremy, I ALWAYS us a shot list! These can be video or stills. After that remember one thing..."Shoot long, edit short", you may not be able to go back to that exact location and light.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:01 AM   #8
Major Player

I normally shoot wild life but in a non wildlife project its always different

A base story idea , story board
Shot list
details of the shots, angles look etc
If it has interviews then a - List of questions
In case of Interviews - Broll shot list may also have to be incorporated

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production