New Sony AX-53 Testing - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old November 22nd, 2017, 09:41 AM   #166
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony AX-53 Testing

Still looks under exposed and out of focus.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 09:42 AM   #167
Trustee

Well this is from 4k iPhone 7 footage million times better ron.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sony AX-53 Testing-test-5.jpg  
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 10:53 AM   #168
Inner Circle

You are the judge. Not my experience with mine that is very sharp but as I said those shots still look under exposed and out of focus. You can see the exposure difference to the iphone. Did you try just running in full auto as an experiment. Have you put on a protection lens or something
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:00 AM   #169
Trustee

nope the auto setting on AI the same the light is slighty dim but still daylight, the iPhone just touched the screen and easy footage better than ax53.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 06:11 PM   #170
Regular Crew

Hello everybody,

I am considering an AX53 myself as an entrance to 4K, and a possible addition of an Atomos Ninja or similar later.
Is it possible to get clean 4K video over HDMI? If I understand correctly, operating the LCD screen together with the HDMI isn't possible.

Cheers,
N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2019, 12:47 AM   #171
Major Player

HI,
I have a AX53 and interested in doing this too. Will be interesting to see what people think. Nick, not sure if you are aware that the AX53 restricts the number of menu items that can be in manual mode at the same time. At present I have manual exposure and focus. I can't have manual shutter or iris at the same time. Depends on what you want to film, if this camera is right for you.

That said its a great camera and this year I'm about to make a full on VFX film; to test my skills and knowledge, using a very basic kit to prove it can be done.

See what other people think -
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2019, 06:55 AM   #172
Regular Crew

Yes, I know that Sony doesn't leave much room for manual control, but I haven't found anything similar at this price range (and the 20x zoom is very nice for air shows)

I am also a bit confused by the code FDR-AX53B, it seems to sell for about 1000 EUR when the plain AX53 sells at around 750 EUR (including 24% VAT). Or are the one and same (I read in another post about the AX60, and I cannot discern any difference from the AX53)

Cheers,
N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 11:20 PM   #173
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fotis View Post
...I am also a bit confused by the code FDR-AX53B, it seems to sell for about 1000 EUR when the plain AX53 sells at around 750 EUR (including 24% VAT). Or are the one and same (I read in another post about the AX60, and I cannot discern any difference from the AX53)

Cheers,
N.F.
According to Sony USA, the B is for the camera color: black.

I wouldn't try to buy camera model numbers that are only available in Japan. They have some domestic model numbers that are identical to an export model number but will typically have a different set of menu languages (no English for example) and the plug will be for Japan's electrical system and the manual will be only in Japanese, not multilingual. I've bought some domestic versions that came with software applications on CD and of course the programs were in Japanese language only. The AX53 is nice for when you can't use a tripod. If you don't need the image stabilization, then the AX100 or Z90 would be a step up in image quality.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:18 PM   #174
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
If you don't need the image stabilization, then the AX100 or Z90 would be a step up in image quality.
What's wrong with image stabilization on the Z90?
Old March 10th, 2019, 03:52 AM   #175
Regular Crew

Mark Watson probably refers to the Balanced Optical Stradyshot (BOSS), which the AX-53 has but the Z90 not. However, I use both the Z90 and the NX30, only the latter has BOSS, but I do not see any difference in steadyshot behavior of the two.
Roland Achini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:51 PM   #176
Major Player

The BOSS on the AX53 is incredible. The Z90 is no better than the AX100 for image stabilization, exactly the same mediocre level of IS.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:51 PM   #177
Vortex Media

Thanks for the info. I've never touched an AX53 so I had no idea it had better IS.
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:05 AM   #178
Trustee

It's amazing, actually.
It's got the lens block mounted on a gimbal that tracks the shot.
It not only covers the handheld shaking, it will smooth out walking shots, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds