Sony Z150 - New firmware 2.0 with HLG. (Hybrid Log Gamma) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old July 26th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: Sony Z150 - New firmware 2.0 with HLG. (Hybrid Log Gamma)

Well that sounds very nice but if, like me, you have an X70 as well, which I use as a B camera in live events then it seems that I will be left with nice dynamic range from the Z150 and less from the 70. This effectively sets the 2 cameras apart more and probably makes it harder to match the look of each camera when synced.

I'm thinking out loud as I haven't upgraded the 150 yet and probably won't for a while as I'd be tempted to fiddle about too much experimenting at a busy time when I just need to get on with things as they are.
Jeremy Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #17
Major Player

The 'old' Sony wouldn't do that, but I'm HOPING the newer, more independent, hungrier, Sony which is trying to maintain customer loyalty and claw its way back to greater profitability and industry dominance, will consider improving the customer experience for guys like myself who have bought several Sony Pro camcorders over the years, and work to show they are serious about customer loyalty.

Upgrading the Z150 is the kind of initiative that was often lacking at Sony in the past IMO, so I am really please to hear about the more recent Z150 upgrade that extends the usefullness of the camcorder. And I've noticed a lot more activity in releasing firmware to enhance other Sony products' capabilities than I've seen them do in the past. That's encouraging. At least that's what I've noticed. Truthfully, Sony has been pretty good about providing firmware upgrades and improvements to the X70 over the past couple years, something I felt Sony was horrible at in the past, not just camcorders but with a lot of Sony products I've owned (Ive felt they've taken customers for granted in the past).

...So how about it Sony ....HLG for the X70??!!!
Old July 27th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #18
Trustee

Its hard to know what Sony's marketing plans are for the future of the X70. I believe the X70 uses the original RX10 1inch-type sensor while the Z150 uses the 3rd generation stacked BSI model.

As we might remember, it took a long time for Sony develope firmware for 4k at 100mbp/s. For a while, Sony basically abandoned it with ony 60Mbp/s.

I have a feeling that Sony is done feveloping firmware for with the X70 and have moved on to R&D on its replacement.

Hopefully I wrong but I think they only reason why they gave the Z150 HLG was to put pressure on Panasonic's two competing models. Panny doesnt give theirs log gamma so this will allow the Z150 to easily beat those Panny's in DR.

The X70 doesnt have much competition to worry about so Sony will prolly keep HLG only for its higher models.

Plus, I know this 3rd generation 1inch-type sensor on the Z150 can pull in about 11stops of dynamic range. The X70's first generation sensor?....I have no clue.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #19
Trustee

Just came across this. it might be of interest to you Z150 owners as it also applies to Z150 v2.0 camera upgrades not just the FS5. Apparently it affects the Hybrid Log-Gammas in HD mode.

Sony pulls PXW-FS5 firmware version 4.0 - Newsshooter

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #20
Trustee

From what I have read, it seems the problem only exists in 1080. I stopped shooting in 1080 two years ago and only do UHD now. So far, I have not seen any problems with HLG in 4k.
Old July 30th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Highlight handling? HLG wipes those problems away. Remember, when you shoot it rec709, the camera cuts off the bottom and tops of the signal to give it the contrast (and limited dynamic range) that rec709 requires.
I understand how HLG might solve contrast and highlight problems as they relate to unsaturated highlights and regular dynamic range problems. Are you suggesting, though, that the HLG would be able to fix the problem with hue shift on color saturated highlights? This seems less plausible.
Dustin Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:40 AM   #22
Trustee

Good question.

I dont know yet. My entire experience with HLG is just 20min of footage in my backyard using HLG-3 mode.

So far, im not noticing the typical SLOG-2 "twist" on the green channel. In rec709 color, just shot with color saturation lower to help any possible channel clipping.

Seems to be working nicely with my limited test footage.

I have allot of experience with Slog-2/3 and VLog but nothing with HLG yet. Sor far, it seems that HLG-3 is my favorite and it really changes the Z150's ability quite a bit. Having an agressive roll off starting at mid-grey allows you open up and take in more light. It's certainly more forgiving now to over exposed portions your scenes. I just wish it didnt stop at 100 and clipped at 109 instead.
Old August 14th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #23
Major Player

Sony have released Firmware Version 2.02 to fix the two issues which came up with Version 2.00:

Software: PXW-Z150 Binary Package V2.02 (Win + Mac) : Software/Drivers : Australia : Sony Professional
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Thanks David,

Just downloaded it, took three tries, but ready to go now.
Old August 16th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #25
Trustee

Some very pertinent tips about Hybrid Log Gamma, grading HLG, when to use etc from Mr. A. Chapman that might prove to be worthwhile reading for some before setting out down the HLG track.

Hybrid Log Gamma | XDCAM-USER.COM

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds