Mac Sierra Users: Don't Upgrade to High-Sierra - yet - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 16th, 2018, 10:16 AM   #46
Wrangler

Re: Mac Sierra Users: Don't Upgrade to High-Sierra - yet

No, apparently he actually does it every few months. I know, because I happen to make maps that require the installation of some open source software, and he uses them. So invariably he contacts me because he can’t remember how to install the software. So evidently he is doing a clean install, then installing his applications and copying his user files back. He’s very set in his ways about this, and I have given up asking why. ;-)

Like I said, I have been using Macs since 1985. I managed an office full of them in the 90’s. Have 3 Macs that I use everyday at home. But I’ve never needed to do clean installs of the operating system to fix a problem. Perhaps it has to do with the software I use, or maybe it’s because I don’t visit “certain” websites? :-P

But seriously, I am very slow to upgrade to a new version of MacOS. I stayed on 10.8.5 for many years until I finally decided to switch to Final Cut Pro X from legacy FCP.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:32 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
But seriously, I am very slow to upgrade to a new version of MacOS. I stayed on 10.8.5 for many years until I finally decided to switch to Final Cut Pro X from legacy FCP.
That's probably why.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:28 PM   #48
Wrangler

Finally beat this “Huge System Storage” thing. From the Apple discussion threads, seems there isn’t one specific cause but the common theme is buried, or hidden, files/folders/volumes.

I tried everything I dared while away from home for 6 months with only my affected MBP with me, to no avail.

Once home, I finally broke down and installed free-to-try OmniDiskSweeper, which immediately identified a 374GB “in progress” Time Machine backup from, not coincidentally, right before I noticed my SSD unexpectedly near-full; it was showing as a hidden volume, not visible in Finder.

I deleted that hidden volume and thought at first it didn’t work, but lo and behold an hour or so later that space became available again, both in Get Info and About This Mac > Storage. My knowledge of macOS is miniscule, but guessing it just took time to re-index the SSD in the background.

While digging online, I did see other short threads pre-dating High Sierra with similar problems, so it seems that this is just a matter of whatever buried files (in some cases, GB of google mail drafts or huge numbers of text files for some errant application), or hidden folders/volumes that get left behind. In my case, it presumably was the failed Time Machine backup.

I’ll post this info over on the longest Apple Discussion about this. If you have this problem, you should be able to find that thread by keywording “macOS High Sierra – Huge System Storage” in the Apple discussion area.
Attached Thumbnails
Mac Sierra Users:  Don't Upgrade to High-Sierra - yet-2018-04-07-timemachine-inprogress-backup-folders.jpeg   Mac Sierra Users:  Don't Upgrade to High-Sierra - yet-2018-10-22-omnidisksweeper-snapshot-timemachine-volume.jpeg  

Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 02:27 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Moving onward, I did upgrade my Macbook Touch Bar to Mojave and I'm having a good experience on it. Definitely a stable OS for an initial release.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 03:24 PM   #50
Wrangler

That's good news. Any further comments on FCP and/or PPRo performance?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...gh-sierra.html
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 09:04 PM   #51
Inner Circle

I haven't noticed a performance hit, but then I'm on a maxed out MacBook Pro 2018.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion