Is the JVC LS300 still a competitive camera today? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old November 11th, 2018, 08:34 PM   #46
Tourist

Re: Is the JVC LS300 still a competitive camera today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I also like to keep the shutter at a constant value but the ls300 doesn't have easy access to iso and f-stop simultaniously which both are important enough that there is a need to have quick access to. You do have a switch on the side that lets you toggle between 3 iso values but that doesn't work for me, my first priority when shooting video is choosing a f-stop and I don't want this to change during a shot because it will change your depth of field, the iso I have linked to the front dial because that I use to finetune my exposure once I have choosen the f-stop. I might use the switch on the side of the camera to quickly toggle between a larger range of iso values but then I use the front dial to set it exactly or use it to change when necessary.The problem is when I want to change the f-stop I can't, I need to go into the menu to do that.

The gh5 has the possibility now to change the iso by turning the back dial on the camera, the change is instant, it's how sony camera's do this as well and it's crucial for fast exposurechanges without having to touch your f-stop. In the past you had to press the iso button first and then use the small wheels on top, those are now reserved for f-stop and shutter.

On thing I miss on my gh5 is the excellent peaking of the ls300 and ofcourse build in nd's but I guess we can't have it all.
I set my custom button 6 to variable gain. You press that and it allows you to change your iso in steps using the arrows by the shutter button. I leave the iris knob on default and control the iris with that. I find it plenty fast to work that way with no need for the menu. Give it a try.
Michael Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 10:19 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Here is a link to a new review of the LS300 with video clips. Be aware some of the video clips are much longer than they need to be.

Enjoy.
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 04:56 AM   #48
Major Player

Kinda tempting now you can see it for US$1.5K ish on eBay
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:23 AM   #49
Trustee

Always been interested in this camera....

But the GH5 just has too many features (not to mention cheaper price tag).

Still, if you need to have a ENG-ish form factor, it's a heck of a deal.
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders