Canon XF705 Professional Camcorder to be announced - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 6th, 2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Canon XF705 Professional Camcorder to be announced

Well, this doesn't really address the issues that many of us want to understand. i.e. How much better is this product in low light?

Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo Del Tufo View Post
Hello guys, I've found some videos shot with XF705, it seems there're just few units sold in the world so we must attend more to evaluate the camera:

Canon XF705 - First Shot 4K60P Red-crowned Crane - YouTube

Canon XF705 - First Shot 4K60P Ural Owl - YouTube

Canon XF705 - First Shot 4K60P In case of sea - YouTube
Old December 6th, 2018, 04:08 PM   #17
Trustee

I would like to see the video quality compared to the C200, but not shot in RAW, just 4K and 1080. Also the side by side of the 705 vs the 305 in 1920x1080.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 12:46 AM   #18
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
No to interchangeable lenses. That's not the market for this camcorder.
Hi Al - Sure, Fixed Lens. Could you then postulate what Market you'd guess it is targeted at? High quallie BBC-type News gathering? Wedding market?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 01:48 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Graham. I don't claim to have any kind of inside knowledge of Canon's marketing, but it seems like it's not a camera that wedding shooters use in this day and age. Almost all of them I've seen are shooting DSLR no matter how clumsy they are to use. Also, the XF300 was not good enough to be trusted inside dark wedding halls, IMHO. That's why I wonder whether this will do the job.

I also don't claim to know much about today's news gathering but what little I have heard is that more and more stations are stripping down adding robotics in the studios and putting lower capable cameras, like the 200s and even 100s in the hands of "talent" and telling them to shoot their own location news. The high end TV stations shooters I've seen lately still seem to be shooting with cameras higher up market than the XF300 or XF 700.

Almost all the shooters who I knew using the xf305 have moved to DSLRs. The person who bought my xf305 (a mistake I made in selling it because I was not using it much), was an advanced amateur documentary shooter who was shooting a doc on sports cars.

It's seems to be a great camera for stage work, live shows, situations where you need huge zoom reach in well lit situations (perhaps shooting in wildlife work).

Ultimately, if I had to guess, it would used in schools, tv studio work, churches (they are a huge market of part time camera people).

A good friend who has worked with me works shooting government meetings in our capital. She uses a xf305.

Those situations are what I would expect. All the best. Would love to have a reason to try this camera out.

Still looking for some real world low light examples.
Old December 7th, 2018, 06:52 AM   #20
New Boot

Owen Mack has got the new XF705, he has shot some footage with the camera but he can't work on the footage on his computer, so he uploaded some MXF files on the web.

Important notes:
---------------------
Unfortunately all the footage is not shot properly, and it's completely BLUE and PURPLE. So I've tried to make some color correction in Da Vinci Resolve, to salvage something, and believe me it was quite impossible. I've also changed in black and white one clip because colors cannot be adjusted anymore. There were more clips, but they were completely overexposed, and messed up with colors. He said that used the camera in Wide DR Gamma and in Full auto, but it's not clear what he has done with white balance. Because the lack of footage from this camera, I've decided to publish this video, but it's clearly not rappresentative of the camera's quality, but you can have a sneak peek about how stabilization works.

Sample from original footage shot by Owen Mack, before CC

https://i.ibb.co/GcHh3Lg/Senza-nome-copia.jpg
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:28 AM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
I would like to see the video quality compared to the C200, but not shot in RAW, just 4K and 1080. Also the side by side of the 705 vs the 305 in 1920x1080.
Hi Bob, there's a short video comparing XF705 and C200, it was made with pre-release model :

Old December 8th, 2018, 03:02 AM   #22
New Boot

New footage from Canon XF705 :

Old December 8th, 2018, 11:51 AM   #23
Major Player

Well, viewing the young woman on full screen on a iMac 27" it looks like it carries on the tradition of the 305. Nice skin tones. One thing I'm wondering is, was the footage on the 705 shot in 4k and down-sampled to 1080p? If so, I would have expected to be much sharper. My work with DSLRs usually shows a somewhat sharper image when I export to 1080 from 4k rather than shooting in 1080 direct. If it was shot in 4k, maybe add a sample of the young woman in 4k and we can play it in 4k on our machines.

This also is a simple outdoor winter lighting example, which I would say should highlight the strength of all three of these cameras, which was that their sensors did well in daylight. Will still be interested in seeing someone shoot in low light interiors, etc.

Thanks for the effort Danilo.

[QUOTE=Danilo Del Tufo;1948206]Hi Bob, there's a short video comparing XF705 and C200, it was made with pre-release model :
Old December 8th, 2018, 01:08 PM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
maybe add a sample of the young woman in 4k and we can play it in 4k on our machines. Thanks for the effort Danilo
You're welcome! I'd like to help you, I've a small part of the original footage in 4K. I did just some little color correction and published at 4K resolution on youtube. I hope it helps.

Old January 1st, 2019, 06:34 AM   #25
Trustee

Happy New Year. Has anyone had time to do a real life review of the XF705? I would love to hear what you think of it. One question I have is that the XF300 had the power save button which I used all the time while in the field. Does the 705 have a similar feature? Bob
Old January 1st, 2019, 01:02 PM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Happy New Year. Has anyone had time to do a real life review of the XF705? I would love to hear what you think of it.
There's a review made by RedShark about XF705, it was released some weeks ago. It's very easy to find, just google it, there's also some footage.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:13 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Happy New Year. Has anyone had time to do a real life review of the XF705? I would love to hear what you think of it. One question I have is that the XF300 had the power save button which I used all the time while in the field. Does the 705 have a similar feature? Bob
I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but from looking at all the pix, I don't see a power save/standby button. There's a lot of pix at this link.... https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/09/...rder-ibc-2018/
Old January 3rd, 2019, 04:58 PM   #28
Trustee

Thanks guys, It does look like an awesome camcorder. I really would miss the power save button. Right now I will probably wait until I see some more real life footage, and I also want to see if Vegas will eventually support H265. My trusty XF300 still produces incredible videos. Last month I had it down in the Atacama desert in Chile as well as Patagonia.

Last edited by Bob Safay; January 4th, 2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:36 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:

The INDEX/POWER SAVE button on the XF305 is just labeled "INDEX" on the XF705, and no mention of it in the manual.

Link to manual:
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/030003...f705-im-en.pdf

I'd be more tempted if it were about $5,500. If sales are slow, it could get a $1,000 price drop within a year. Remember the XF305? Big rebates and a couple price drops.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:13 PM   #30
Trustee

To all of you that have now had the XF-705 for awhile, what are your thoughts on the overall quality of the video that you are shooting. What don't you like about it? I am very interested in your thoughts. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders