HDR Monitor for HDR Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 18th, 2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Major Player

HDR Monitor for HDR Editing

I'm struggling with the best way to edit HDR; I don't have an HDR timeline monitor. I use a FS5 and Atomos Shogun Inferno to shoot ProRes RAW, and edit with FCPX on an iMac Pro. I mainly produce for an LG HDR TV (at 700 nits). For workflow I adjust the clips within 700 nits, and without an HDR monitor really guess at the intermediate levels. My results so far are good but could really be improved.

In principle the Shogan Inferno can be used as a timeline monitor for FCPX but I have NOT been able to get the Inferno to respond (to my MacBook) as a monitor. Can anyone point me to a 'how to' article or YouTube for this?

I'd like to have a larger external timeline monitor, but have not located anything appropriate yet. I might pay quite a bit for this; I have several hours of spectacular Fiordland National Park NZ HDR clips to process.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: HDR Monitor for HDR Editing

It would be best to use a dedicated video card that can output SDI, that way you have no issues with the OS being in-between. For instance, a Blackmagic Decklink card would do.

Note that Atomos Shogun inferno is not fully HDR, it can output HDR luma wise but the color space is still limited. It's more like a "torch mode" monitor than a full HDR monitor.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: HDR Monitor for HDR Editing

Perfect, thanks for the quick response.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software