Upgrade CPU or GPU? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 1st, 2019, 07:02 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Upgrade CPU or GPU?

Dang it! Y'all got me questioning my thought processes... again!
Which is actually, okay. I want to make sure I have everything right before I pull the trigger.
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 08:01 AM   #17
Inner Circle

No shame in that, you don't want to go spending the time and money only to find out that it barely registers much of a difference. For my own use, I am Mac based, and while I was very tempted by the iMac Pro offerings (with 8 cores, 64GB of RAM, and, most importantly, the VEGA 64 GPU option), in the end I went with a steal of a deal off of B&H for last year's iMac, a quad-core i7 (instead of XEON), 64GB of RAM and a 580 GPU. My reasoning was that, with the deal I was getting (under $4k), could I justify nearly double that for a system that, while powerful, might not make 2x difference in responsiveness and rendering? I couldn't justify that to myself, so that's why I went the direction that I did.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 01:49 PM   #18
Major Player

Roger that! I'm going to stay the Windows route, though I may create a Hackintosh install to see how that might work. I'm still reviewing the different possibilities and the "boss" hasn't released the funds yet. That will come presently. Researching the different possibilities is a fun thing!
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC