LinkedIn joining the live streaming scene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old March 17th, 2019, 06:11 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

LinkedIn joining the live streaming scene

Credit to The Streaming Guys in Australia for noticing it. Their blog post is here.

The "LinkedIn Live" product is currently in beta and by invitation only.

Here's a somewhat awful video about it. (If anything, it's a great demo of what sort of production cringes you can make despite having good gear and a budget.)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: LinkedIn joining the live streaming scene

Yet another platform you can stream to for your mom and one other person to watch.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Wrangler

Do you guys actually use LinkedIn? Is it effective for you?I thought it was fun at first, but it got old really fast and I rarely go there at all anymore. When I do, it alway seems to be the same 10 contacts endlessly promoting themselves. And the job suggestions it makes are laughable. So now, I guess those same 10 people will all be promoting themselves endlessly with live-streams. :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I keep my LinkedIn up-to-date because sometimes you get the option to link to your profile for certain things. But as far as a social media platform, I really couldn't care any less about it. I certainly have never gotten any work from it alone, though I feel like dental hygienists really used it for promotion because two years ago I had a rash of them friend me and say I should stop by the office they worked at.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 11:03 PM   #5

LinkedIn's best attribute is being able to guess who you haven't connected with for ages.

Darned if I would go there just to hang out, and even less to look at videos. I have no idea who is actually going to beneficially use this.

Andrew
Old March 19th, 2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Major Player

It could make sense, if they are gearing it towards corporate webcasting/webinar training software. Although, why not just align with an established name for it like GoToWebinar or something, maybe this was cheaper or websites see TV as their own future.

Again, if they can incorporate privacy, logins, registration type features I think businesses would like it, although, otoh why wouldn't they just use webinar software instead?

Anyway, they could know something about the long term future. I heard FB had intentions of going all video at some point,but maybe they mixed that up with Instagram switching to video not photos. Anyway, it'll sure be an interesting 10 years.

As for Linkedin, I like most people just see it as an online resume. Its worst feature is 'automatically' friended you with coworkers, because, for alot of users they keep an 'online resume' to get the heck out of their job. Also it sucks selling yourself & seeing others boast about 'Implemented new strategies to boost employee production' etc etc. It really could be much more successful, as I feel alot of people would like to bounce off FB, Linkedin just never quite got there. It's just missing something. Ok for job seaching, in a diamond in the rough. Indeeds better tho for FT type jobs.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 08:27 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

This may be “duh” to all of you but I think Linkedin is really popular with “business” people...suits, offices, job titles that mean nothing to anyone in those industries. For artists (or whatever we are) not so much.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 07:45 PM   #8
Austinite

I've been thinking of linking out of connections where I have no idea who the person is. I think I might do that if I don't recognize any of out mutual friends. After that I need to look through the two boxes of business cards...
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 08:21 PM   #9

I'm loathe to even bother playing the game of connecting with people on LinkedIn.

Andrew
Old May 1st, 2019, 02:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Latest release of Telestream Wirecast 12.1 has the destination although to actually use it you have to get approval from Linkedin as it's still in beta on their end.
Attached Thumbnails
LinkedIn joining the live streaming scene-screen-shot-2019-04-30-6.53.35-pm.png  
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 06:36 PM   #11
Inner Circle

To be honest if I need to get a message across it will be to prospective clients not business associates

We mainly do weddings and funerals so clients are unlikely to be on Linked-In and really just want a private site with a link they can send to friends and family.

I wonder how Linked-In are going to handle copyright music?? If you stream to free sites like Facebook or YouTube you get pinged if there is any commercial music in the stream... even if it comes from some guy walking down the road with a "getto blaster" on his shoulder. Both weddings and funerals have copyright music which brides use to walk down the aisle or funeral directors use in a slideshow.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
To be honest if I need to get a message across it will be to prospective clients not business associates

We mainly do weddings and funerals so clients are unlikely to be on Linked-In and really just want a private site with a link they can send to friends and family.

I wonder how Linked-In are going to handle copyright music?? If you stream to free sites like Facebook or YouTube you get pinged if there is any commercial music in the stream... even if it comes from some guy walking down the road with a "getto blaster" on his shoulder. Both weddings and funerals have copyright music which brides use to walk down the aisle or funeral directors use in a slideshow.
I think Linkedin is looking for for B2B, mostly webinars, training, and corporate speeches/updates. There's platforms already for it like GoToWebinar, INXPO, and On24 among others, so I think they wanted to get in the game.

To be honest, I think they just go into it, and are figuring the rest out as they go. Didn't they buy Lynda.com tho? That would lead me to thinking they'll use it for training & continuing education/credits etc.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 09:45 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Given Linkedin is basically a social media site for professionals and they expect the live streams to be geared to such. It can reach potential business to business clients as well as those showing of their skills to head hunters.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View