"Gear Acquisition Syndrome—Are You Afflicted?" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 19th, 2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Major Player

"Gear Acquisition Syndrome—Are You Afflicted?"

Great Article from Dan!

"Gear Acquisition Syndrome—Are You Afflicted?"

Here's the Link!

https://www.hdvideopro.com/blog/gear...ition-syndrome
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2019, 12:18 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: "Gear Acquisition Syndrome—Are You Afflicted?"

Good post and a nice web site too.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 07:42 PM   #3
Austinite

I have the cure! Work in audio video sales for 10 years and then go do something else. I was so into gear acquisitions I had to be all over other peoples' acquisitions. Now I am cured. Maybe try the "what's sensible to add to my toolkit" mindset.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Major Player

lol, yeah I'm guilty. Always looking although I've kept my main cameras to a 2010 purchase of a Sony Z5u, and 2016 smaller Sony X70. My 2nd cam is a unpopular DSLR hybrid Sony VG900.

I kept an eye out for the Sony a9 for about a year, then Sony a7iii made me consider it, but I chose, possibly mistakenly to hold out for an a7siii. Which, now about a full year later, is about 6 months outta site. So yeah I have GAS over it, but I think that will be my final camera and ride off into the sunset with it.

I dabble with extras. Bought a slider, GoPro, Glidegear etc but held off on alot of addons & handhelds etc. Bought a drone but just not a huge fan of it. I shoot weddings solo so I don't bring them to it, plus insurance for it would likely be extra so I used it as a hobby few times but that was all I really did with it.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 11:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Just had a great splurge of G.A.S. Immense fun! The only rule was, I could only spend the money I made by selling off other gear, so it was a zero sum game. I got rid of my old film gear and some other stuff. It made me very careful about the purchases because I had the evidence of what had and hadn't worked as purchases for me in the past right in front of me. The refresh has left me with a much more useful kit. Maybe others need to try it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business