Canon C300 Mark ii - Fail at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 25th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon C300 Mark ii - Fail

I’m a long time satisfied user of the Canon C300, so I recently made the investment on the new C300 Mark ii. I like the new features on the Mark ii, but I’m afraid I’ve run into a major problem where the camera freezes and won’t record media. For the documentary work I do this is a big problem.

Here's what happens when I’m on a shoot - It doesn’t happen all the time, but it happens enough that I’m missing valuable documentary moments. Sometimes this happens 5 times in a day, sometimes not at all.

Here’s how it happens:

- I hit record and all seems fine until I try to stop the recording. The camera freezes and the red record light remains on. Often this happens when I’m just starting to record on a new CF Fast card that has been initialized.

-powering the camera down doesn't even un-freeze the camera. I need to take out the battery to make the camera work again.

-When I check to see if the clip has been recorded, it has not.

-I thought it might be a CF fast card issue but it has happened on many of my Canon approved Sandisk 128's.

-I thought it might be a CF Card Slot issue but it has happened in both A & B slots of my camera.

-I thought it might be firmware but I'm running with the latest. 1.0.6.1.00

-This problem has occurred while recording 3840 x2160 10 bit, as well as 1920 x 1080 10 bit.

-I have tried a factory reset (did not help) and tried reloading the most recent firmware which is not possible.

Any help here? I plan on bringing the camera into Canon as it’s brand new and under warranty, but I thought I’d look for help here before I go through the hassle of the warranty department.

Thanks,
Matt G.
Toronto, Canada
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon C300 Mark ii - Fail

Where did you get your cards from? It might be possible they are not the real deal. Perhaps try a different brand?

Good luck.
Old April 26th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Canon is very clear on using the exact approved CFast cards with the C300 MKII? Are you using the approved cards and are you positive that they are not counterfeit? Sounds as if you have a problem with the camera writing the header/closing the file. Get the camera and cards to a Canon Service Center and see what they say.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Could be tied into this? -> Firmware Notice: EOS C300 Mark II/EOS C300 Mark II PL: Workaround for Malfunction During Use of VPG130 CFast Card.

Some new Sandisk 128's are VPG130.

Canon just sent an email notice about it:

For EOS C300 Mark II/EOS C300 Mark II PL Digital Cinema Cameras equipped with firmware Version 1.0.6.1.00, we have confirmed a phenomenon in which, depending upon the usage conditions, the camera freezes when a VPG 130 CFast card is used simultaneously with a non VPG130 CFast card.

We are currently making preparations to correct this phenomenon with the release of a firmware update in mid-May. In the meantime, please use the method described in the workaround below.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to customers, and we ask for your ongoing patience.

Phenomenon
When a VPG130 CFast card is used simultaneously with a non VPG130 CFast card the camera may freeze. If the camera freezes, even if the live view image is displayed, all buttons and switches, including the POWER switch, will no longer respond, and the footage will not be recorded on the cards. (The time code and the recording indicator may continue to work.) The camera can be released from the freeze condition by detaching it from the power supply (or removing the battery).

Workaround
If you experience this phenomenon please follow the steps below:
1. Detach the camera from the power supply or remove the battery.
2. Remove both CFast cards from the card slots.
3.Use two of the same type of CFast cards: Either VPG130 or non VPG130.

Note: If there is only one CFast card inserted, you may continue use with no issues.

Affected Products
EOS C300 Mark II/EOS C300 Mark II PL Digital Cinema Cameras (with Firmware V1.0.6.1.00)

Support
We are planning to release updated firmware in mid-May 2017.
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Jon. That's exactly what's happening with my camera so I'm hoping that's the problem and not something bigger. I can wait for the new firmware, but in the meantime I'll avoid using "VPG 130" cards.

I have five Sandisk Extreme Pro 128's, so I need to figure out which ones are "VPG 130" and "non-VPG130."

Does anyone know how to distinguish the two kinds? I can't find that info on the cards themselves....
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

B&H is selling both in the 128 size and you can only tell if you look in the description.

I'd contact Sandisk, odds are there is way to know from one of the number codes on the back or the scan icon.
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sounds very much like the VP130 card problem. The workaround is to just put one card in the slot. Do not load the second slot.

I just got an email from Canon that suggests they will have a firmware fix available in a few weeks.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #8
New Boot

I just spoke to my Canon/Sandisk dealer here in Toronto at the DVShop and he tells me that the Sandisk 128 cards that are VPG130 have a small "130" icon in the bottom left hand corner of the CF Fast Card.

Thanks for your help everyone.

-Matt
Old April 27th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Wow, first I had heard of this problem, thanks for the heads up on it. Good to know for when I rent the C300 MKII
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

New FW fix for the VPG130 card issue: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...loads-firmware

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems