Old May 25th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Aputure t888 (tri8)

Tri8 unboxing. Basic overview of features

Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Pre order on Aputure's site. Price is $498. There's a 3 light kit for $1398 which seems to be two spots and a bi-color. Note the very wide color temperature range on that. The lights include in the EZ Soft box but apparently without the grid.

https://store.aputure.com/products/t...nt=43405162453
Old May 26th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Had a look at the video - think I'll pass on this one...too bulky imo
Barry Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Hunt View Post
Had a look at the video - think I'll pass on this one...too bulky imo
Me too. Handles stick out too much and are not removable. No barn doors, not as inexpensive as I had hoped, you can buy the LS 1S that has a lot more output and barn doors for not that much more.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle

On the other hand I like it because:

It's smaller than the LS1.Important because I shoot in small locations. And likely will be easier for me to pack

Has the power options directly on the back of the camera. Also important because I shoot in small locations and don't want power dangling on the floor. Can use Sony NPF batteries

Has no barn doors. I don't wan't them on panel style LEDs.

Has handles. Easy to move and even have an assistant hold when that's more appropriate than a light stand.
Old May 27th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
On the other hand I like it because:

It's smaller than the LS1.Important because I shoot in small locations. And likely will be easier for me to pack

Has the power options directly on the back of the camera. Also important because I shoot in small locations and don't want power dangling on the floor. Can use Sony NPF batteries

Has no barn doors. I don't wan't them on panel style LEDs.

Has handles. Easy to move and even have an assistant hold when that's more appropriate than a light stand.
Different strokes. You like it for every reason I dislike it. Enjoy! Give us a user review once you shoot a few jobs with it. For the money, I am having a blast with my Kamerar Brightcasts. $200.00 cheaper, bi-color, they are doing great with batteries, plus zillions of more mounting options, lighter too to carry around the city. Probably not as high output as the Tri8 but much more flexible to deploy. I like SMDs better than 5mm bulbs which are older technology. Not nearly the issue with micro shadows, the don't seem to have them or if they are there, they are not nearly as noticeable.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 07:48 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Amaran Trii8c at 1M - 604fc 6500lux
Kramer Brightcast at 1M at daylight - 112fc 1210lux

I do like the Kramer Brightcasts and have considered it but they really serve somewhat different purposes. I may buy them if I see the need but I don't consider this an either/or comparison for my use though.
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Amaran Trii8c at 1M - 604fc 6500lux
Kramer Brightcast at 1M at daylight - 112fc 1210lux

I do like the Kramer Brightcasts and have considered it but they really serve somewhat different purposes. I may buy them if I see the need but I don't consider this an either/or comparison for my use though.
Wow, not a small difference in specs, a huge difference. Never hurts to have more power but I will say that I have been shooting a doc in low light bars and restaurants and the Brightcasts have had more than enough horsepower for that application, but I have the LS 1S and know that more horsepower can often be better. For me, it's output versus weight. My two LS 1S with all of the power supplies, cords, etc. are fairly hefty to carry over my shoulder whereas the two Brightcasts, even with the BPU90s, are pretty easy to put over your shoulder.

I am curious how long the Tri8 will run on those two Sony batteries? I am using Ikan BPu-90 batteries to run the Brightcasts and I am getting between 1 and 2 hours of run time with those batteries, depending on how high I have the Brighcasts turned up. With the Tri8's Sony NPF batteries being the lower voltage, I can see why they need two of them. With so much output, I wonder how long they can run on a pair? Post your results once you get the Tri8.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management