Livestream Studio - Full Version is now FREE! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old September 18th, 2017, 04:59 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Livestream Studio - Full Version is now FREE!

Good idea Tim as long as the device can do a manual connect.

Livestream brought out their MEVO cameras that work with an iPhone ....the wifi has let them down badly and people are selling units left right and centre ...it's a clever system actually but the connections cause havoc.

To give you an idea about how a wifi band can go from almost clear to congested...I did a wedding reception where I had 5 bar signal on the 4G router and a connection speed of 22mbps ... I was streaming inside the venue at a comfortable 3mbps with a great picture until the guests came in ...my encoder suddenly gave me a warning and dropped to 750kbps and shortly afterwards the stream dropped out . That was all because I had the router ( a few feet away) connected to the encoder with wifi .... I plugged in a cable reconnected with ethernet and the stream was perfect again at over 3mbps. I guess every Tom Dick and Harry had their mobile on and congesting the band?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi David

To be honest I still find that OBS is the easiest when it comes to CPU load ...Livestream Studio has nicer interfaces (especially lower third creation) but is much heavier on your CPU.

I'm using a Dell laptop which is only a DuoCore i7 2.7GB but OBS allows you to use QuickSync which takes a big load off the CPU ... the other "trick" is to use a hardware encoder from the laptop output instead of streaming direct from the laptop. My laptop HDMI out goes into a Vidiu Pro ....
Thanks Chris, admittedly weddings aren't a huge market I'm going for with it, due to the lack of prep I can do, and control over connectivity. I also wouldn't want it to be a liability if the connection never goes thru (Grandma in Italy was waiting for it to start).

With OBS, can much graphics & lower thirds be done? I found it more video feed only, which is fine. I saw a plugin someone made to add scores.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi David .. OBS needs a little more work than Studio ....With Studio you can download third backgrounds and add the text in live if need be. I tend to be very lazy with OBS and use free stock thirds (the need to be MOV files) https://www.videvo.net/

The switchers work slightly differently. In Studio you bring in cameras as remote cameras and can then assign 4 "takes" to each camera being a different pan or crop, zoom or all 3

In OBS you set a scene so you can have one camera with a bunch of different crops and be able to switch between them ... If you go to the OBS website they have a resources page with plenty of stuff including scoreboards. OBS can also have a browser plug in so you can design your own scoreboard.

You can also add stills, titles, videos and even scroll titles in OBS ...it honestly has the best Chromakey I have ever used. I can stick a green backdrop behind me, roughly light it and it keys every time ..Studio has a much more complex keyer and it does a poorer job.

AS you can see ..plusses and minuses ...I mainly started using OBS cos it supports Quiksync and NVENC systems and got to love it ,,big community ..lots of YouTube "how to" videos and regular updates!
Old September 18th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks, sounds like I need to dive deeper into it. I saw some plugins for it, but the stock version of it seemed a bit rudimentary. I did get the feed going, but pure video only. Wasn't aware it did green screen.

One question, are you going from your camera straight into OBS? I seemed to have to go into (free) software called VLC, then that fed into OBS.
Old September 18th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi David

I have both HDMI cameras and USB cameras ..my Logitech Conference Cams just plug directly into a USB and OBS sees them as an input. My Panasonic AC-8 and FZ 1000 cameras are HDMI only so those need a capture card ..I use an Elgato HD60 capture module but any HDMI to USB capture dongle will work with OBS .. LS Studio is a LOT fussier and prefers Black Magic capture cards

If you are just using the X70 as a camera input it has stream modules in it but I'm not too clued up on that protocol but this tutorial looks good

Old September 19th, 2017, 05:59 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks. I actually did get it streaming thru OBS. Followed that & another tutorial.
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:29 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi David

To be honest I still find that OBS is the easiest when it comes to CPU load
I'm also a Wirecast user. It also supports Quicksync (and Apple H.264 on Mac) and NVENC. It also supports streaming to multiple destinations, something I almost always do, that OBS (unless something has changed) can't do natively. I usually stream to both Facebook and Periscope/Twitter. On some events YouTube as well.

While not quite as good as wire, the new Wirecast Go 2 is nifty since you can now stream LTE from iOS to Wirecast. Granted LTE can have issues as well but it's nice not having to depend on wifi. It's two way communication too. So the camera operator holds the phone but the Wirecast user can actually interview remotely. This is good if the person holding the phone isn't particularly good at asking questions.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View