Looking for a pro camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:09 PM   #1
New Boot

Looking for a pro camcorder

In the $1300-1400 range.. I was looking at the Panasonic AG-AC30 but it seems the view here that I have seen is it can have issues with AF hunting and kind of grainy.
Michael Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Looking for a pro camcorder

Pro can mean many things. What are your criteria besides price? Does it need to look impressive? Does it need certain inputs/outputs? Does it need to fit into a established workflow or system? Fixed lens or interchangeable?

When it comes strictly to image quality, I think that certain mirorless cameras look better than similarly priced traditional camcorders, if you want to get into lenses. Either way, a camera with a 1” or larger sensor (Sony AX100, X70, NX100, NX80, Panasonic UX90, etc) are going to be a better bet for higher quality pictures. Another great option is a Sony RX10ii with XLR adapter. Cheap and has a 24-200mm F2.8 zoom. Used cameras will also save you some big money.

I think the 1” Sony sensors have the edge in the price bracket you’re looking at. Maybe let us know some answers to what you’ll be using it for and what it needs to do.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 09:55 AM   #3
New Boot

Im not 100% sure right now I have a external recorder with XLR inputs but the option the camera would be nice but I'm looking more for image control and settings normally not found on most prosumer camcorders.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Trustee

I don’t think you could go wrong with the Sony NX100 for shooting HD up to 60p. Takes cheap batteries and cards, and has a ton of pro features in a compact package.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 10:53 AM   #5
New Boot

Nice I will take a look at it today I'm headed down to B&H in a few.... if I come out without spending $600+ I've did good LOL

They say they have the cam on display so I will check it out.. how's the low light shooting? Not that I see myself doing much of any recording late at night
Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:09 AM   #6
Trustee

B&H even has some open box ones for $1,500. Go play and see what you like. The sales people will also be more than willing to help you find the right camera. Not sure about the low light, but the 1” Exmor R sensors are pretty good in my opinion compared to the competition.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the X70 & highly recommend it. It has XLR inputs, ND filters, optional upgrade to 4K for about $400 so it future-proof, 1" sensor & full manual controls, XAVC. As I dive more & more into the settings you can do alot with it. For a tiny camcorder size it's a powerhouse.

I use it for weddings and it handles good in low light, however I switch over to a 1.4 Sigma lens on a different cam come dance floor time. Still it handles well such as 1st dance with a small on camera light, looks fine up to about 18db, maybe 21 then the grain sets in.

Wish I had time to test a night shot for you but it handles as good as any in its price range I'm sure. Again, dance floor is typically dark-dark with alot of motion so I can't slow the shutter down too much. Looks like they have used for $1800
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 05:57 PM   #8
New Boot

Got to mess around with the NX100 man it was really nice with the controls I wonder if you can have the lcd and the evf on at the same time. I wished I had a extra SD card to test but it also had me wondering what type of gimbal setup would you use for a cam like that? It’s 4.63lbs
Michael Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion