Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 104 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #1546
Trustee

Tribute to the 35mm lens adapter

I just want to post this clip which I made using a DIY spinning adapter as a sort of tribute to the DIY spirit started by this thread which inspired me to start making mine in 2004.

Shot with JVC HD200 with 2 lenses, a 50 and 80-200.

Originally intended only as an audition reel, this clip was selected to represent my province for the first time in a Film Festival in the capital of my country last week, Cinema Rehiyon 2010.

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1547
Inner Circle

Ted.

A fitting tribute.

Has the medium format adaptor gone back into the back storeroom with all the old plate camera bits and pieces for the grandchildren to discover one day or do you still use it?
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1548
Trustee

Hi Bob!

I have finally put together a Camera museum, on our 2nd floor, since schools often come for a visit, I got tired of setting the old cameras out and putting them away after the tour,
I have on display and cataloged different cameras that our family have used, the oldest which is a hundred year old korona from manchester optical and some glass plate negatives I managed to rescue.

I have a glass case reserved for the MID FORMAT adapter prototype that I made in 2004, I think it deserves a place in our history that once upon a time such devices were contrived to help filmmaker achieve the DOF control not possible with the prosumer lever cameras of the time.

Having used the canon 7d on several high paying high profile projects recently, I think the phase of the adapter is coming to an end. It deserves its own glass showcase.

Ted
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #1549
Inner Circle

Re: Homemade 35mm Adapter

A bit of a venture in history back I dug up off an old drive. Who back then would have thought that 35mm adaptors would have become feather dusters so soon.

I shot this short assembly of behind-the-scenes shots of a local indie low-budget project on a home made flip 35mm adaptor I called the AGUS35APVE. It was mounted onto a Sony HVR-Z1P camera with 12mm - 24mm Nikon, and 50mm and 85mm Nikon primes. For my own curiosity, I desaturated and roughly graded the image for the sort of cold hard look I thought would fit the fight scenes.

The fiklm-makers kept the look of the JVC GY-HD101 camera they shot the project on.
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1550
Inner Circle

For a bit of a reminisce to history back - how few years it has been. The groundglass adaptors discussed on this forum established a general consumer discontent with 1/3" sensors, then the digital cinema cameras had their genesis here on dvinfo and gave the big players that final message that developmental holdback was not going to cut it anymore.

Anyway, here's some student clips shot on the original Sony DSR PD150 and an AGUS35 homemade 35mm groundglass adaptor in 2005.

All the best to everyone for the rest of the New Year.
Old January 30th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #1551
Inner Circle

Tsai.

This is the thread which started the whole alternative 35mm adaptor thing off. P+S Technik's Mini35/Pro35 series were the initial benchmark The final evolutions of the alternative products were capable of coming up to or meeting 2K real world resolution if very carefully managed.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:50 AM   #1552
Inner Circle

It would seem there is life in the old adaptor dog yet. A young guy has taken the "Coatwolf" camera setup a notch furthur. Interestingly, he has used a reflective relay arrangement rather than a translucent groundglass and compensated for the inevitable off-axis relay focus issue by using a tilt-shift lens. Modern DSLR cameras have a lot more sensitivity to play with to compensate for the savage light loss of this reflective arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zix...14928293732058

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 3rd, 2018 at 12:52 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods