Vegas 15 crashing... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 8th, 2018, 08:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Vegas 15 crashing...

I have just started working on my long running project after a couple of month break. I upgraded to Vegas 15 and am using it for the episode I am at present working on.

The last couple of times I have opened the program, Vegas has crashed...out of the blue.

I've just be playing the current episode through to get a feel again for it after the long break, and after simply playing through around 5 minutes of it, it stopped. About a week ago I did about an hours work on it and it stopped about 3 times...once again simply playing it through...

This is a bother, as at no point can I be certain that the program will continue on running. I have never had this happen before.

I have not upgraded to the latest release...15.whatever...

UPDATE: I had started Vegas again and had it running in the background as I wrote this message, however immediately on posting this message, Vegas crashed again..
UPDATE 2: Another 5 minutes and another crash...
UPDATE 3: And another after about 4 minutes...
UPDATE 4: Interestingly, I updated to version 311 and had no more crashes when playing through the episode...maybe updating fixed whatever the issue was...hope so...

Last edited by Renton Maclachlan; March 8th, 2018 at 09:45 PM.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Vegas 15 crashing...

It is always good to update to the newest build first. Glad to hear that appeared to fix your issue. If you get crashes, it would help if you post the error information. Without any error information, it's hard to tell why you would be getting a crash.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2018, 04:02 AM   #3
Trustee

Not sure I know how/where to find the 'error information'. At each crash, I got a box asking if I wanted to send a report to Magic... which I did...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2018, 05:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

New Build 321 of Vegas Pro 15 just released.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ml#post1942004

Also, for more info about the 'error information' (Problem Reporting Service dialog box), you can read here:
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...e-prs--103727/
Setiawan Kartawidjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Recently downloaded and installed 15.361 pro.
Worked flawlessly for a day.
"Not responding" crashes every 20 minutes now on 2nd day.
Considering abandoning Vegas and starting brand new learning curve with Adobe, just so I can edit.
Working with XAVC-S files.
Tried RAM preview to 0, disabling GPU, no thumbnails.
Everything appears to be fine, right up until it's not. No symptoms or complaints until it just locks up, and Vegas has to be restarted to resume.
Appreciate the pages of tech things to try to stabilize, but frankly I want to edit, not be a beta tester and tweaker. I expect magix to do the testing and tweaking so that I can just pay to edit.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Wonder if that's why Vegas 15 is only $99 on Steam right now.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 12:34 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houchins II View Post
"Not responding" crashes every 20 minutes now on 2nd day.
Not saying this will help you but it works for me and has done ever since V14 up to v15 build 361.

Select the 'Options' menu, now hold down you SHIFT key. Now scroll down and select PREFERENCES

This will open the prefs dialogue. Look for the tab called INTERNAL and select that. At the bottom of the Preferences box is a statement "Show only prefs containing:" In the box to its right type in "memory."
This should display the memory options. The second line down should have a memory value of 1,024MB.
In the "Value" column change this value to 4.096MB. Click OK.

Suggest you reboot and then let us know how you go.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 11:22 PM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
This should display the memory options. The second line down should have a memory value of 1,024MB. In the "Value" column change this value to 4.096MB.
Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
That would be a value, in MB of just over 4MB? That’s not a lot at all? That’s a reduction of 1,020MB, approximately. Could it be that you’re suggesting that the original, the default figure, should be x4 which would be a value of 4.096GB?

Cheers GB 😉
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2018, 02:48 AM   #9
Trustee

Doh! Yes indeed... I did mean to type 4,096MB. It's NOT 4,096GB. It's an increase x 4 of the original figure of 1,024MB. finger trouble or a senior moment... again! Sorry about that Graham. Let us know how it goes.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2018, 03:12 AM   #10
Old Boot

Quote:
Doh! Yes indeed... I did mean to type 4,096MB. It's NOT 4,096GB. It's an increase x 4 of the original figure of 1,024MB. finger trouble or a senior moment... again! Sorry about that Graham. Let us know how it goes.

Chris Young
But it IS 4.06GB. That’s what I was suggesting you meant. I wasn’t suggesting “4,096GB”! That would be some PC RAM indeed. No, I thought you’d stumbled on some MAGIX magic that needed to be written as you’d indicated 🤭.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 09:37 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Not saying this will help you but it works for me and has done ever since V14 up to v15 build 361.

Select the 'Options' menu, now hold down you SHIFT key. Now scroll down and select PREFERENCES

This will open the prefs dialogue. Look for the tab called INTERNAL and select that. At the bottom of the Preferences box is a statement "Show only prefs containing:" In the box to its right type in "memory."
This should display the memory options. The second line down should have a memory value of 1,024MB.
In the "Value" column change this value to 4.096MB. Click OK.

Suggest you reboot and then let us know how you go.
Found it. Changed to 4096 (4,096 MB).
Will see how it goes.
Is there any place to look for a crash report for a clue what's triggering the lock-ups?
~ Tnx
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Old Boot

Quote:
Is there any place to look for a crash report for a clue what's triggering the lock-ups?
~ Tnx
Did you get the Phone-Home White Error Message?
Old June 23rd, 2018, 10:22 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Well, there is https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...ility--104785/ (the crashing and troubleshooting stability FAQ).
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Recent observation:
My brain's usually so concentrating on a series of intended steps to achieve a goal that it's been caught off guard when Vegas would crash, without noticing if there was a specific step that triggered it.

However recently it seems like it's most fragile when adjusting the length or location of a clip on the timeline.
In the evolution of the project, there was a lot of synchronizing and rough cut layouts when I was suffering a dozen crashes in a day. Tons of resizing and shifting locations. It was almost the only task I was doing, so couldn't pinpoint what action within that would have been triggering a crash.
Once I was happy with the layout and moved into the next phase, it was much more stable, crashing only once or twice a day. But the more stable phase of the project was about color correcting, adding graphics, cropping, masking, and tracking motion.
So when I ended up revisiting some shifting and resizing of clips on the timeline and the crashes resumed, I had a possible comparison of performance-to-task observations available, which I share now.

Maybe it's coincidental, but the occasional pause in the program and spinning circular arrow during moments of an auto back up is very much akin to the feedback when it crashes, except it never resumes functionality. Perhaps a timeline adjustment fatally coinciding with an auto backup glitches. Dunno. Maybe coincidentally similar feedback.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...