AG-UX180 (or HC-X1) MANUAL ZOOM QUESTION at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 4th, 2018, 02:10 PM   #1
New Boot

AG-UX180 (or HC-X1) MANUAL ZOOM QUESTION

Question about "switching" from servo zoom to full manual zoom (using fingers only on the zoom ring) on the AG-UX180 (or the HC-X1) with no clear, immediate answers available.

After a ton of research, it looks like there is no "zoom switch" like on the DVX200 (or the HVX200 which I own) to toggle back and forth - is this camera simply always in "servo" mode?

Specs indicate "3 manual rings" on the the lens and I've seen a guy work the manual zoom (on the HC-X1) on YouTube:

When you work the manual zoom ring, is there resistance on the ring? Can you "pop zoom" manually with your fingers on the zoom ring - going from full 20x zoomed in to full wide (and vice-versa) in a split second?

Interested in purchasing the AG-UX-180 (or the HC-X1) and would love the 20x optical zoom for shooting junior ice hockey close ups...but, lack of a "true" manual zoom ring would be a deal-breaker for me.

Any info from AG-UX-180 (or the HC-X1) users is appreciated.

Paul Zimmerman
Paul Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: AG-UX180 (or HC-X1) MANUAL ZOOM QUESTION

Hi Paul,

I'm not a UX180 owner, but I'm hoping one will chime in here to answer your question.

I'm just wondering though, would this be primarily for handheld use? Or tripod mounted?

Because if it's primarily on a tripod, then the best way to control zoom would be a pan handle-mounted remote zoom controller. Just curious,

CH

(welcome aboard!)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I own the ux180 but I agree with what Chris said and it would apply to any camera. The standard setup for this application would be on a tripod with a pan handle remote zoom. I recommend the Varizoom VZ Rock. You wouldn’t want to hold your hand on the lens barrel for an entire game. Besides the zoom ring has to be turned a great deal to zoom the full range so its not good for pop zoom.

A more important consideration you haven’t mentioned is the depth of field. Smaller sensor cameras such as 1/3 provide a greater dof needed for this type of work. Zoomed in all the way is going to be tricky keeping live action in focus.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:41 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Chris & Pete.

I've shot ice hockey handheld for 12 years now (mostly with my 13x optical zoom HVX-200) with awesome results!

Primarily, I'm shooting for "close-up, magical highlight moments" in an extremely fast game - just need to frame up for those critical 2-4 seconds that will make the cut in post - mostly hype cuts/TV commercials.

Being on tripod limits ability to flex my horizon level & frame up FAST (plus the team I shoot for has a 3 camera webcast setup getting the basic wides & mediums.)

Typically, I'm not pop zooming the entire way from 13x to full wide, more like 13x to 8x-ish....it's frame up fast, anticipate the play, & follow smooth - think NFL Films!

My interest in the UX180 is the 20x optical zoom (13x leaves me a little wide when max zoomed in & shooting way across the rink.)

Trying to lock down a clear answer for - "is the spec'd manual zoom ring on the UX180 (or HC-X1) truly free without resistance for pop-zooming despite seemingly not having a zoom switch to toggle from manual to servo?"
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Paul,

Understood, and thanks for elaborating.

I've got a technical contact at Panasonic and I'm sending him a link to this thread.

If he has a reply for me, then I'll post it here. Hope this helps,

Old October 5th, 2018, 10:53 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Chris.

I would also try to clarify if, "without a zoom switch, are these video cams simply in "servo mode" all the time?"

And..if so, "when you try to pop zoom manually, is there any resistance on the zoom ring?"

Kind of like being in AutoFocus mode, but...still being able to manual focus briefly anyway by forcing the focus ring with your fingers.)
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Hold on a second...

There's ice hockey... in El Paso??

;-)

Old October 5th, 2018, 11:00 AM   #8
New Boot

Yes sir - 2018 WSHL Thorne Cup Champions!

Old October 5th, 2018, 11:18 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent video -- thanks!

Yes, I've been through El Paso several times and I had *no* idea that ice could be grown out there.

I'm hoping that Pete will come back on to confirm how the zoom functions.

Just realized it's a Friday, and I might not get an answer back from Pana HQ until Mon.

Old October 5th, 2018, 12:04 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zimmerman View Post
Thanks Chris.

I would also try to clarify if, "without a zoom switch, are these video cams simply in "servo mode" all the time?"

And..if so, "when you try to pop zoom manually, is there any resistance on the zoom ring?"

Kind of like being in AutoFocus mode, but...still being able to manual focus briefly anyway by forcing the focus ring with your fingers.)
There is no manual zoom switch. All of these types of cameras use servo only lenses. If you need to zoom in quickly you would use the rocker zoom control which is pressure sensitive. The ring on the lens is servo, has resistance and will not allow you to quickly zoom in. But this is the case of all camcorders in this style. If you want manual lens you would need a different style of camera like dslr or camcorder with that ability. Although note that cameras that take manual lenses have larger sensor, smaller dof, and less reach.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #11
New Boot

Sadly, a deal-breaker on this unit...

Compromise, is the DVX-200 with the limitation of 13x optical zoom, but with a "servo/manual switch" that allows pop zooming.

With a bigger budget, I'd opt for the Sony PXW-Z280 4K ($6,950) with 17x optical zoom and a servo/manual switch: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1400753-REG/sony_pxw_z280_4k_3_cmos_1_2_type.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Thanks for the info Pete!
Old October 6th, 2018, 10:21 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The UX180 doesn't have any true manual zoom. The ring on the lens is just an alternative control for the servo which actually moves the mechanical elements. I just checked mine, and the ring has to spin about 240° to get from one end to the other - far enough that it's difficult to do in one motion of the fingers. The maximum speed you can get this way is also limited - not at all like a mechanical zoom.

I'm sorry this disqualifies the camera for you, because in most respects, it's a fine piece of equipment for general purpose video work. I normally use mine on a tripod with a Varizoom remote, or handheld with my fingers on the servo rocker, so I rarely touch the zoom ring on the lens.

My DVX200 and PX270 both have more conventional zoom rings with a manual/servo switch, but the DVX is only a 13:1 zoom and the PX is expensive and 1080p only, so neither one of them might work for you either.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #13
New Boot

Appreciate the info Greg!
Old December 3rd, 2018, 02:31 PM   #14
Go Cycle

Same with my UX-90.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders