Yi 360 “Tiny Planet” demo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR

360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR
Take a look *around.*

Old September 13th, 2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Yi 360 “Tiny Planet” demo

Hi all.

Here is an example of mine using the Yi’s 5.7K recording resolution. The clips took a while to stitch but it was worth it. The final video was edited and rendered in Magix Vegas Pro 16, as this version of Vegas Pro has a “Tiny Planet” effect built in. There is one clip which is actually a 360 photo (of myself standing in front of the Selfridges building, for anyone who’s familiar with Birmingham, UK).

Only things to look out for are pixellation when zoomed all the way out, and also when latitudinal / longitudinal movements arent so smooth at extreme zoom as well. Still, what a creative tool!

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; September 13th, 2018 at 04:55 PM.
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 07:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Yi 360 “Tiny Planet” demo

I liked this - very creative and interesting. And the resolution was not bad even full screen for most views.

The only part I had trouble with was the "stunted" hand (due to the 360) that sticks out in the center of many views. It really is odd and distracting. I am not sure what to do about it, but it is a problem. I understand why it is there, but we need to think how to get the same effects without it - a hardware solution. Also, I would drop the (extreme) zoom - the pixelation did not make it worthwhile.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 09:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark.

Yes I agree with the pixelation bit. Funny thing was I tried the same thing using another editor, Powerdirector 16. With that, it smooths out the pixelation. Maybe it is GPU acceleration at work on that or something.

Regarding the stunted hand - yes - there was an option in Vegas called "Maintain original aspect ratio" or something like that, but that places black circles on the top and bottom of the images. Maybe it's just me but I'm not really into that effect so I turned it off. I think it would've been better if I used a lightstand to place the camera on but that would make me shooting from those locations look a bit suspect to passers-bys :D
Old September 14th, 2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Quarrie View Post
Thanks Mark.

Yes I agree with the pixelation bit. Funny thing was I tried the same thing using another editor, Powerdirector 16. With that, it smooths out the pixelation. Maybe it is GPU acceleration at work on that or something.

Regarding the stunted hand - yes - there was an option in Vegas called "Maintain original aspect ratio" or something like that, but that places black circles on the top and bottom of the images. Maybe it's just me but I'm not really into that effect so I turned it off. I think it would've been better if I used a lightstand to place the camera on but that would make me shooting from those locations look a bit suspect to passers-bys :D
I agree on not having those circles. I have used lightstands to shoot 360 video - even in NYC!. Set up the lightstand and hide. Boy, is it nerve racking - will someone knock it over, steal it? No one seems to mind though, but maybe it's a NY thing.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 02:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Lol - Maybe I’m just too attached to my equipment 😂. Where I live if I left it like that it’ll be swiped in seconds!! 😐😐.
Old September 15th, 2018, 06:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

OK Here is a better version with smoothed-out pixelated parts in zoomed-out sections:

:)
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Update:

I’ve just sold this camera 🙁. It was great in the time I’ve used it, but now I can’t justify holding onto it.
So long, Yi.
Old December 5th, 2018, 02:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

OK Another update lol:

I just bought it back! :D

I've Realised that I got rid of a good thing...

That's it - I'll shut up now. :D
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR