Monitoring audio recording wirelessly? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 30th, 2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitoring audio recording wirelessly?

Hi guys,

During weddings I plug into the DJ's/Venues mixing board to record audio for using in wedding film.
However, as DJ is in a separate corner, I have to constantly run back and forth to monitor audio recording levels.

I have been thinking if there is any kind of field recorder that I can monitor/adjust the input gain on it wirelessly from distance?

Thanks!
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2018, 06:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Monitoring audio recording wirelessly?

Good news/bad news. The one I bought with the hopes of doing the same is the Tascam DR-22WL (Wireless). https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-22wl/top

It does have an app that allows you to remote start/stop and monitor levels, but I found it extremely buggy. The app takes a while to connect sometimes, or just drops the connection. The ad-hoc network it creates is weak, at best, so you can't roam too far, it seems.

My advice, get a Tascam DR-10x, which has (decent) auto levels and a safety track recording. It's not a guarantee of success, but it ups your odds. Make sure to update the firmware, which now allows continuous level monitoring (levels display used to disappear in the previous firmware).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

An approach would be to connect the DJ output to a wireless mic transmitter; e.g, a RODE Newsshooter, and carry the recorder with you connected to the receiver.
Old December 1st, 2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The Zoom F4 and F8 levels can be monitored and controlled remotely using an Apple device (no Android support unfortunately). They also have a dual-record function that lets you record one input on two channels set at different trim levels so you can pick whichever sounds best.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Neal View Post
The Zoom F4 and F8 levels can be monitored and controlled remotely using an Apple device (no Android support unfortunately). They also have a dual-record function that lets you record one input on two channels set at different trim levels so you can pick whichever sounds best.
No neither of them will cut it as they only work up to 10 meters distance as per their manual. During weddings in receptions I am almost always further than 10m away from the DJ mixing board...
Old December 1st, 2018, 11:24 PM   #6
Trustee

This is what I've been using, Tascam DR44 WL, and it has worked well thus far. If distance is an issue, I've noticed that my wife's larger iPhone 7 picks up signals better than my small iPhone 6, so that may be something to check.

Really like the ease of use because the VU meters are clearly visible and one can adjust the levels on the fly, start, pause, and stop,

Edit: The safety track is active in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Monitoring audio recording wirelessly?-img_2387-2.jpg  
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2018, 09:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
This is what I've been using, Tascam DR44 WL, and it has worked well thus far. If distance is an issue, I've noticed that my wife's larger iPhone 7 picks up signals better than my small iPhone 6, so that may be something to check.

Really like the ease of use because the VU meters are clearly visible and one can adjust the levels on the fly, start, pause, and stop,

Edit: The safety track is active in the picture.
Thanks, looks good!
How good is the wifi range though? I would like it to work at least up to 30 meters but I read in reviews range is only 6 meters...
Old December 11th, 2018, 12:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakob Hakobyan View Post
Hi guys,

During weddings I plug into the DJ's/Venues mixing board to record audio for using in wedding film.
However, as DJ is in a separate corner, I have to constantly run back and forth to monitor audio recording levels.

I have been thinking if there is any kind of field recorder that I can monitor/adjust the input gain on it wirelessly from distance?

Thanks!
Easy solution:

Zoom F8 + G3 IEM

Then you can monitor in stereo, and over bluetooth control and see all the levels.

I've done basically more or less this approach myself a number of times (for instance it is very handy for 360VR recordings, when you must drop the recorder under the camera itself but you must be hidden from sight).

Only downside is the range of bluetooth sometimes is not enough.

If I knew I needed much more then I'd rent/buy a Sonosax SX-R4+ which can be controlled over WiFi.
Old December 11th, 2018, 12:17 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakob Hakobyan View Post
No neither of them will cut it as they only work up to 10 meters distance as per their manual. During weddings in receptions I am almost always further than 10m away from the DJ mixing board...
And why can't you run out cables to a better location? With an unobstructed view.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio