Holiday Cheers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old December 14th, 2018, 07:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Holiday Cheers

Tossed this together yesterday to send some Holiday Cheer.

Had to send through my blog since Vimeo link does not work here.

https://paulcronin446112133.wordpres...py-holidays-2/
Old December 16th, 2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Holiday Cheers

Nice shots and it looks like a lot of fun. But next time, put on a Santa suit!
Old December 17th, 2018, 05:52 AM   #3
Trustee

Paul, nice clips. A great way to celebrate the holidays. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2018, 06:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Bob, and Doug,

I did shoot narrative for it with a Santa Hat, but it did not make the cut.

Happy Holidays
Old December 17th, 2018, 11:17 PM   #5
Trustee

Paul - there were a lot of really nice clips! Sure can see how that can be a fun boat to sail (00:14 and 01:09). But, single-handing at 01:51 almost became a bit much; good recovery.

Question: were the aerial shots from a bridge or your drone?
Another Question: How did you get the shots looking forward from the stern? Didn’t notice a radar mast or anything on the stern.

This year was the year I was going to get some good sailing videos but we got only one short two-day cruise in due to the horrible smoke from all the forest fires. By late fall there started to be some days when the wind changed direction enough to get some breathable air, so had to quickly get some house caulking and painting done and there went the season. Got a new Code Zero beginning of summer, rigged it up on deck but never hoisted it or even un-folded it. Bummer.

Picked up the Sony FDR-X3000 cam with a Feiyu G5GS gimbal to put it on and it worked really good on the two-day cruise while mounted on a stern support. Level horizon with both the cam and gimbal controlled with the iPhone. Everything ready to roll now and can’t wait for next season and your video gives me the itch.

Speaking of Rhode Island weather, back during Viet Nam the Navy sent me to Davisville / Quonset Point for two summers (Antarctica for the winters) and we lived in Wickford. Arrived there in March or April and one thing I remember was the ice on the mud puddles sounding like breaking glass when I drove over them. It was cold. Sailed in a lot of races out of East Greenwich.

Really enjoyed your video. That boat can really cruise! Thanks for the video.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2018, 06:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi John,

Thanks for the nice response and always happy to talk sailing. She is a blast to sail and having owned and raced a lot of boats in my lifetime she is the best I have owned for singlehanded sailing.

The spin out was for the camera; we did an evening shoot with my friend Doug Jensen filming and my wife driving the powerboat with friends in the boat. Doug grabbed an amazing amount of great shots in a few hours of sailing.

All the aerial shots I was flying the drone from the boat. I use the drone often for my jobs and fly off boats all the time. The Code 0 shot from ahead and behind are in Buzzard Bay as is the red frac kite shot.

Really sorry to hear about all the fires in California, so many people loosing everything is a tragedy.

My Code 0 was designed for 40 apparent to 90 apparent and it is a must have tool for point to point. It has won a couple of singlehanded overnight races for me and is fractional. Doyle sails is fantastic to work with and understands I know exactly what I want in a sail with shape, wind range and angles, one of the few who works that closely with clients. There is another in your area, Pineapple Sails, Kame Richards is excellent and a good buddy.

Sounds like a nice setup. This year I used my Sony Z90 and an old Horizon True gimbal mount. It is all mechanical mount that they do not make anymore. But here is the link to their site. Home
Also use two Sony POV cameras on these great little clamps, which have worked out perfectly, they clamp on gooseneck, stanchions, cleats, pretty much anywhere.
https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Ballhead-Multi-function-Adapter-Ronin-M/dp/B00DJ5XH4O/ref=asc_df_B00DJ5XH4O//din02c-20

Ah, the Navy filled Narragansett Bay back in the day. My dad took PT boat training before he was sent to the Pacific in WW2. They still have a big presence, but Quonset is now an industrial park. I own a boat shop up there that you see at the beginning and end of the Christmas Cheer video. Also see it in my show In and OUT of the Boat Shop.
https://vimeo.com/channels/1186312 . Great area for the marine industry.

Yup we get a lot of ice in the winter. My wife and I paddle SUP all winter and at times break the soft ice to paddle. You have to pick your days in the winter, but our life is about being on the water and sailing as often as possible.

Thanks for watching and look forward to your videos once you are back out on the water.

Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Old December 18th, 2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Very nice footage Paul, and a very a nice sailboat. Very fast, I imagine, and you would clearly leave my sedate Raven 31 ft ‘family cruiser’ way behind. But having said that I’m not complaining about summertime sailing in the Marlborough Sounds as I’m never in a hurry. I plan to shoot some Phantom Pro footage soon when the weather cooperates and my buddy is available. Lots of long warm days coming up down here so we shall get that done soon, I reckon. Now if Doug Jensen just happened to be in the neighborhood :-)

Thanks for sharing the footage and all the best for the festive season.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi John,
Thanks for the nice message. Kincora can move along well, not break out speed but I have her in the mid to upper teens when the frac kite or A5 frac are up. She is just great on all points of sail which is great.

Raven 31 looks like a blast to sail at 4400 lbs and 50% ballast/Disp ratio I bet she is stiff and great in all conditions. Now all you have to do is send some of the Marlborough Sounds weather my way. Wind chill here today is 12 deg F, cranking 25-45 kts NW, ah winter in NE.

Have a great sailing season and post your drone footage, love to see the boat in action and Marlborough Sounds.
Happy Holidays.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land