is the SI-2K in the market already? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old August 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

is the SI-2K in the market already?

Is it available for purchase right now???
Angel Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes. Please contact Steve Nordhauser at 518-279-9098 to put down a deposit and reserve your place in line for the production builds.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If i purchase it now???

If i Purchase it now, when will i get it? I start production in october. Is it, buy and pick up or get in line and will call or how does it work? I just basically want to know when will i get it if i pay it next week???

Thanks.
Old August 19th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Trustee

I know it's not a "buy and pick-up", but I also do know that we have final assembly happening right now, with the first SI-2K units already shipping and in customer's hands. In fact if you go to our website, you can see shots of the "final" assembled camera. They'll also be some at IBC.

The problem with arrival dates is that I don't know how many sales we have (only Steve and Ari know that number). So you're going to have to call Steve and find out from him an estimated shipping date.
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

can you get the same results with mini?

Can you get the same results with the mini??? i mean 1080p 24p ??? and is the mini available for pick up???

Thanks again.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #6
Trustee

The MINI should be available for pick-up, and yes, they are shipping. When I say "pick-up" though, it still might be a one-to-two-week turn-around. You would have to ask Steve for details.

Since SiliconDVR is powering the MINI, and the MINI is in-fact inside the SI-2K, the capabilities of both are the same. Also you can put down the money for an SI-2K now and just get the MINI in the near-term (since it's already shipping), receiving the rest of the camera body when it's ready (again, Steve can give you an indication of how many SI-2K back-orders there are and what an estimated ship-date would be).
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

great.

Come monday, im getting the SI 2K. could you tell me more or less the price???
Old August 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

does it work with Final Cut?

Is the Si2K good for working with Final cut???
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Mario View Post
Is the Si2K good for working with Final cut???
No you have to go through steps...

If I remember right you have to have an intel mac... use bootcamp to run the pc side... purchase Cineform... then I think take it into After Effects and convert it to quicktimes and then bring it into FCP...

Of course if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected....

To me one of the down sides of the camera... of course its always around the corner... about just bringing into FCP... that is one thing Red got right...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
of course its always around the corner
Yes, that is true . . . we've been saying for a while now that FCP support is "just around the corner", but I think this time you will be pleasantly surprised how close a FCP RAW solution is . . . also while Red may have gotten FCP support "right", their native RAW FCP solution isn't available as of right now (pending release from Apple), and there is no foreseeable solution on the PC side either besides rendering to suitable codecs from Redcine, which is not going to be a real-time process. So the world isn't exactly perfect yet on the other side of the fence either.
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Are you working on any off line/online workflows for processing RAW?

I'm concerned about Avid, which I mentioned on another forum and the handling of the RAW from both of these data cameras.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez View Post
Yes, that is true . . . we've been saying for a while now that FCP support is "just around the corner", but I think this time you will be pleasantly surprised how close a FCP RAW solution is . . . also while Red may have gotten FCP support "right", their native RAW FCP solution isn't available as of right now (pending release from Apple), and there is no foreseeable solution on the PC side either besides rendering to suitable codecs from Redcine, which is not going to be a real-time process. So the world isn't exactly perfect yet on the other side of the fence either.
Who knows by the time I'm ready to buy a camera all this will be outdated... or really I just should stop working for other people...

For example I purchased the DVX... it set in my home office in Missouri untouched... by the time I got to use it... the HVX was out... at the time of purchase it was just a rumor that smaller HD cameras where coming...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Are you working on any off line/online workflows for processing RAW?
Yes, we are, but I don't have a timeline for you on that.

Now, granted, you can use After Effects right now to generate DNxHD files or DPX files, or whatever other format you need to go from CineForm RAW to XXX codec/file-format. But I think you're asking for a dedicated file conversion application, and that is going to be a bit further out.
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:39 AM   #14
Major Player

again - price SI-2K

hello there,

i have really slow connection today - so cannot properly search thru all threads/post - need any info -link about the price of SI-2K camera.

thank you,

filip
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:50 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip Kovcin View Post
hello there,

i have really slow connection today - so cannot properly search thru all threads/post - need any info -link about the price of SI-2K camera.

thank you,

filip

There seems to be some price changes due to upgrades:

http://www.studiodaily.com/blog/?p=201
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K