Old Angenieux zoom and SI-SK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old October 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #1
Trustee

Old Angenieux zoom and SI-SK

Seem to be a reasonable price:

http://www.whitehouseaudiovisual.com...5-70mm_PL.html

But I'm a bit worried about sensor coverage. I realise no one can be expected to have tested every possible lens let alone the huge range of stuff from bygone eras, just if someone can sort of say 'it should be OK' or 'no, don't like the look of that' would be helpful.

Aside from this specific lens I think a bit more info on lenses would do the SI-SK using community a lot of good. I imagine a lot of us aren't coming from a cine background so the whole lens issue is a new set of challenges for us. I'm more than willing to post whatever results I can from any glass I get my hands on. What sort of things would others find helpfull though and where to build this knowledgebase.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Trustee

The biggest issue is that the 2K resolution is actually bigger than the 2/3" specification . . . now, since it says it covers S16mm resolution through the zoom range, you should be safe, but if it was a standard 16mm, then I would be concerned. I am wondering how far back that lens goes though inside the mount . . . it seems like a long way, but it could just be the non-standard PL conversion flange they have on there that is making the back element seem really deep.

Other than that, I think the main concern would be sharpness . . . some of those older 16mm lenses are really only a little better than SD-resolving resolution, and flare quite easily.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Major Player

for old 16mm lens performance , also check this:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=107480
(Angenieux 16mm zooms)

different camera but similar questions
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Bob

The lens itself is new old stock. It does cover Super16. I have one on a converted CP16R with offset standard CP mount.

I've since thrown out my working drawings. My vague recollection is -

The standard CP mount flange to focal plane is if I remember correctly, close to 1.75 inches or about 43.75mm.

PL is I think 50mm??

The rear element on the Angenieux "Compact" ends about 28mm rearwards of the CP16R flange face, which makes it about 34.5mm rearwards of the PL mount flange face.

The flange to focal plane of the standard Fujinon for HD100 "in air" distance seems to be about 37mm.

I don't know how much rear clearance there is inside the JVC S16 optical adaptor. I don't think it would be possible to mount the lens direct to camera with a custom PL to JVC adaptor as the rear element of the lens would have to go back furthur than the first piece of optical glass in the JVC will permit.

Again, these are only recollections. The true facts may be different. Ken Hale at Whitehouse would be able to tell you more. The sharper and less over-exposed vision in the ANZAC clip at YouTube under DARANGULAFILM was shot on this lens on a film camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KPM55B-FU

The earlier softer vision was shot with a Kinoptic ultrawide. The backfocus on my adaptor for this was off.

What the flange to focal plane on the S!2K is I do not know. Depends what bits and pieces there are between the sensor and the flange face. For what it is worth, I can send you a .bmp frame grab from a scan of the ANZAC footage. (4k ,dpx >> cineform2K CFHD >> .bmp). My focusing skills are not the best and it was overcast, so it is probably not a fair test.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 3rd, 2007 at 04:33 AM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks so much for all that, I'm coming from a prosummer DV/HDV background but learning about the challenges of lenses and mounts, slowly.

The SI-2K has a universal mount (very similar to a PL mount) which in turn accepts a range of adapors made by P+S. We have a PL adaptor on ours and so far every PL mount lens I've tried seems to work as it should so the flange distance is correct for PL mounted lenses.
Seeing as how these zooms are being offered with a PL mount I assume they're correctly setup. Currently we have a set of Elite primes covering 9.5 to 25mm on approval and they look pretty good, so far, still need to do a bit more testing though. Even if we do purchase these I still think for the price that zoom would be handy to have on hand.
I'd be interested to have a look at a full res still, I think my email address is in my profile.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry Bob. I could find no email address in your profile. I have found the frame grab. It is close to .dpx colour saturation so not brilliant colour to look at.

Steve Rice over here is interested in the SI2K and rents out his HD100 and Mini35 locally. Up until he bought his in, nobody wanted to go near one but it gets used now.

Elite primes. Nice to have, costly too, though probably not as bad as the 35mm versions. Not for the likes of us peasants who can only afford Nikons.

PL mount? Whitehouse AV had a number of the Angenieux compacts which were mounted for CP16 to go on a production run of CP GSMO cams which apparently did not eventuate. I thought they were all CP mount but they might have remounted some of them for PL. Their shop would be well capable of getting it right.

It was cheaper for me to buy one rather than have the old yellowed 10-150 re-built.

Send me a bounceback email and I'll attach the frame.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 3rd, 2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K