DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   I am trying out the SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/109682-i-am-trying-out-si-2k.html)

Heath McKnight December 6th, 2007 09:53 PM

I am trying out the SI-2K

1 Attachment(s)
For a music video I'm line producing. Details soon, but it's very cool! Here's a photo I took (re-sized down) of the camera. That's a Nikon lens on it.

Heath

Carl Middleton December 6th, 2007 10:07 PM

Nice!

If you need help, I'd make the drive. ;)

C

Jason Rodriguez December 6th, 2007 10:22 PM

Hi Heath,

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jason

Bob Grant December 7th, 2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 788494)
For a music video I'm line producing. Details soon, but it's very cool! Here's a photo I took (re-sized down) of the camera. That's a Nikon lens on it.

Heath

Given how long we've been waiting to get our camera if I hadn't seen that photo I wouldn't have believed you!

John DeLuca December 7th, 2007 11:14 AM

I have to admit I’m a bit jealous……..We placed our order in April. One thing that’s interesting is the original big handle(I thought they redesigned that). Also, where is the new heatsink that caused the latest delay?

Jason Rodriguez December 7th, 2007 11:23 AM

Heath is using the original P+S Technik NAB prototype on loan . . . it even has the original rapid-prototyped resin enclosure (so don't bang it around!).

So no need to be Jealous :)

There's actually been a number of things that have caused the "delay", but they have all combined to create a vast improvement in the quality of the product that we will be unveiling here shortly. The pictures on the website are not up to-date (i.e., stuff has changed from that).

Thanks,

Jason

John DeLuca December 7th, 2007 11:37 AM

Thanks for the heads up Jason. I’m sure the new design will be worth the wait.

Heath, is that an anti-static grounding pad(we use them for building computers)? Very cool. Good luck with your music video!

-John

Heath McKnight December 7th, 2007 01:02 PM

I agree, no need to be jealous. This is a great camera, but I know that the guys and gals at SI are constantly striving to make it a better camera.

Not a grounding pad, but the Christmas place mats on my table. It's sitting on there so we don't scratch the table--the camera is hardcore! But we're playing it safe, regardless. Only four sky dives are planned (just kidding). I have a condo, so it's easier to put it on the table since I don't have as much room. We shot a lot of tests of my Christmas tree. (wink)

heath

Bob Grant December 7th, 2007 02:33 PM

It's OK Jason, just stirring a little.
I realise how dedicated you are to getting it right out of the box.
We've got the MINI running with a laptop now, quite like that package. Doesn't appease the old school guys who have fixed ideas about what a camera is but I don't have any issues with it, in fact I can see a number of advantages to it.

Bhaskar Dhungana December 7th, 2007 10:19 PM

We have been using both the Mini with Macbook Pro and recently the SI-2k. In most of the cases our camera person chooses to go with the Mini + Macbook instead of the full camera version. Perhaps, its because he is used to the setup as he has been working with it for a long time, or they may be something quite easy about that setup. Haven't quite figured it out. For steadycam, and moving shots the DVR is a must.

Heath McKnight December 9th, 2007 02:01 PM

Day (night) 1: It worked awesome, and though I was busy working as a producer and cracking skulls (the bar closed 3 hours AFTER we were told they would, oh well), but I looked at some footage and was very pleased with the film-like image we were getting.

We barely had to diffuse the lights, because the camera handled highlights very well. In video, we've always had to heavily diffuse the lights. We used a lot of Kinos, which are always excellent. Outside, at night, we used some massive lights, and the camera handled it well.

Heath

Heath McKnight December 9th, 2007 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a still, with some prelim color correction. It's down-converted, too, to 960 x 540.

Heath

Jason Rodriguez December 9th, 2007 09:14 PM

Hi Heath,

Very nice images you're getting!

Looking forward to seeing any other images or videos you can post, and I'm glad to see you're liking the experience.

Again, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free ask :)

Thanks,

Jason

Heath McKnight December 9th, 2007 09:34 PM

Absolutely. We're shooting on the beach tomorrow morning (sunrise), so it should be great! Thanks, Jason!

Heath

Bob Grant December 10th, 2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 789870)
Here's a still, with some prelim color correction. It's down-converted, too, to 960 x 540.

Heath

I'm probably going to seem stupid asking this.

What's causing the glow around the highlights?
I've seen the same thing in my tests, is it the optics or the sensor. Is there anyway to prevent it, apart from the obvious one of changing the lighting.