SI2K in Western Australia. - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:31 AM   #121
Inner Circle

Re: SI2K in Western Australia.

Here is a link to a music video which I did a bit of helping on and shot a bit of behind-the-scenes for a few months back. The motor-cycle greenscreen shots are a mix of SI2K and a Panasonic 35mm sensor camera. I'm fairly sure the front-on and rear-on wides and the side-on wides were SI2K and the closer threequarter-on views were the Panasonic. Post was done by the camera operator, a genius young-ish VFX wizard who also worked on an excellent short film titled "Trigger".

Here is the behind-the-scenes I posted a while back. I shot this with a Letus Extreme on a Sony PMW-EX1. I was not fast on my feet mentally that day and was incredibly slow at focusing.

The young actor who was the juvenile double for the lead singer would make a convincing younger version of actor John C Reilly.

The weather for the outdoors backyard scenes was foul, cold and wet with much drying down of people and gear with and a steaming 1.2K HMI light with towels needed. everyone was happy with how it came together.

Last edited by Bob Hart; October 2nd, 2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #122
Major Player

That was great Bob. The weather here in Perth has been absolutely foul for the last few months, well done on getting the outside shots.

Was that West Coast Highway in City Beach - Scarborough?
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:31 AM   #123
Inner Circle

Tim. I may have caused you to be misinformed. The weather was the same foul but same time last year. I did not shoot the project, only some behind the scenes and helped with the lighting. I set up the SI2K for the greenscreen. Their DoP did the actual shots with the SI2K and the Panasonic.

The seaside backgrounds I think were on the coast road between North Leighton, from about the Montessori School or old Cable Station up the slope past the windsurfers into Cottesloe.

Most recently, Dan and the gang including DoP Alex McPhee shot a header on real 35mm film for the brand "Picturereel Studios" up at York. I did a bit of motion behind-the-scenes for them but was not much use otherwise to justify the great lunches they put up. They'll never starve you on one of their shoots.

Last edited by Bob Hart; October 3rd, 2013 at 01:35 AM. Reason: error
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #124
Inner Circle

Am off, not to see the wizard tomorrow but to make some digital cinema archive of the shark cull protest gathering at Western Australia's Parliament House. There's a RED guy in Esperance advocating making a 4K archive for future proofing possible documentary production down the track as events unfold.

However no one has put their RED hand up this time round. - I guess you might call that a DEAD hand.

No one with BM4K has either. Probably none here yet or if so, whoever has one ain't saying.

So it's the SI2K P+S body with an old ENG lens on it and some filters on front to try and emulate the Epic's slightly wider dynamic range as close as I can, sharpness excepted.

I likely shall be knucklewalking with weariness by the end of it. I am well out of practice with shouldering a heavy cam and years draw nigh as far as the knee and backbone are concerned.
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #125
Major Player

Might join you Bob.
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #126
Inner Circle

Good to see you there today Tim. You should enjoy your GY HD-111.

Here's a quick bit of my vision. I eventually found one out of three XLR cords that worked. With all the stress and vexation, I forgot to the the black calibration for the 34 degrees ambient temp it was meant to be today, so I have fixed pattern noise which needs a little more black crush to make it go away.

I'll bet you have never seen such a Heath-Robinson set up as I ended up stringing together, the final long audio cord plus the two duds all wound up around the camera together and a Rode blimp tied onto the top of the camera with a suitcase strap. There was no way I could go agile on the shoulder with it. Still it worked out in the end.

Old February 18th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #127
Major Player

Great to see you there too Bob. I bet I have seen such a Heath-Robinson set-up! I didn't realise what the cause of it was though.

I had my own vexations yesterday too. The SD card replacement in my HD recorder decided not to work and I went back to tape only for the day. Then a battery just died in the middle of shooting, I think it may be the dodgy one I was warned about by the vendor of my gear.

This is an SI2K thread so I will put up my video edit from yesterday in the "Show your work" section. I spent last night doing stills at a school swimming carnival, so I only had time yesterday to do the capture of the footage I shot.
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #128
Inner Circle

For those who have the penchant for Heath-Robinson, here's a happysnap that I harvested off the facebook. Third camera along the media line from the left is myself concealed under the mike muff and all the spare cables wound around the camera, the viewfinder and battery as convenient hooks. The lone old black Miller among all the fancy Satchler sticks. It was troubleshooting on the run whilst the camera was operating. - That is a good little reason alone for using that luxury of legitimate film-makers, "a crew". When the sound was finally sorted, I was surprised how well it actually worked from an on-camera mike given there were fans and a hand operating lens.

I deliberately set up lower because I wanted a media guy's right elbow and his camera structure in the top left of frame in one of the shots.
Attached Thumbnails
SI2K in Western Australia.-shark-cull-parl-pic.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Hart; February 19th, 2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: added image
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #129
Major Player

And me on the right-hand end!

I popped my video from yesterday here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-you...ml#post1832853

as it doesn't belong in the SI 2K section.

Last edited by Tim Lewis; February 19th, 2014 at 01:42 AM.
Tim Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #130
Inner Circle

For lovers of irish music.

With the advent of 35mm format sensors and the inevitable progress of electronic tech, the SI2K system, as good as it is, has become a little abandoned by those who want things done.

As a system it is relatively glitch-free these days. With the new generation of solid state drives which enable long continuous running times, my camera has been finding a new life in event recording. I am still working out one or two kinks related to my own skills and organisational practices.

Thus far, the hardware has performed faultlessly including the "parts" camera body, bought a while back as a spares-donor but which was pressed into service as the wide-view cam. The spares-donor is mute.

The Real-Tek audio components on the upper motherboard must have taken an over-voltage hit somewhere in history back and are no longer "seen" by any operating system. Any clues as to what components might have fried and what might have survived appreciated.

This clip was put together quickly by the client from the zoom-camera footage using camera audio which was a blend of location and mix desk.

The master audio recording and wide-camera footage will be used for more finessed production in about three months time.

Last edited by Bob Hart; March 10th, 2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: error
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:40 AM   #131
Inner Circle

Longtime SI2K owner-operator Steve Rice in Western Australia, very much likes his piece of kit.

Shot with another SI2K.

The audio sync seems to have slipped in the linkage to Youtube. It plays fine direct from the site.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K