DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   Slumdog Millionaire wins Best Cinematography; Sweeps Oscars (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/144386-slumdog-millionaire-wins-best-cinematography-sweeps-oscars.html)

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2009 08:43 PM

Slumdog Millionaire wins Best Cinematography; Sweeps Oscars

Congrats to cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle, and to Ari and the crew at Silicon Imaging!

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2009 09:39 PM

Slumdog Millionaire also gets Oscars for Best Adapted Screenplay, Editing, Sound, Original Score, Original Song, Direction (cheers to Danny Boyle)... and Best Picture!

I'm sure Ari Presler and the gang at SI are proud of their camera, the SI-2K, which was originally conceived right here on DV Info Net in our Alternative Imaging forum just a few short years ago. It's absolutely amazing how a wish-list from our forum members has evolved into a capable digital cinema imaging system that shot the movie which swept the 2008 Academy Awards... that's quite an achievement for Silicon Imaging (as well as CineForm and P+S Technik) and for DV Info Net as well. This is without a doubt one of our most remarkable accomplishments. Congrats to all involved!

Mathieu Ghekiere February 22nd, 2009 10:32 PM

Following Live from Belgium, it's a great show!
Congratulations to all the nominated, all the winners, and everyone who put the show together!

Marco Leavitt February 22nd, 2009 11:42 PM

Congrats Ari! Silicon Imaging is located near me, and for those who haven't met him, Ari's a really nice guy. I'm glad that the system is getting a great showpiece like this.

Ted Ramasola February 23rd, 2009 01:47 AM

Its also noteworthy that another contender, Benjamin Button, was also shot in digital.

The writing is on the wall....

Joseph Kassana February 23rd, 2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1016628)
Slumdog Millionaire also gets Oscars for Best Adapted Screenplay, Editing, Sound, Original Score, Original Song, Direction (cheers to Danny Boyle)... and Best Picture!

I'm sure Ari Presler and the gang at SI are proud of their camera, the SI-2K, which was originally conceived right here on DV Info Net in our Alternative Imaging forum just a few short years ago. It's absolutely amazing how a wish-list from our forum members has evolved into a capable digital cinema imaging system that shot the movie which swept the 2008 Academy Awards... that's quite an achievement for Silicon Imaging (as well as CineForm and P+S Technik) and for DV Info Net as well. This is without a doubt one of our most remarkable accomplishments. Congrats to all involved!

Absolutely, we all remember those days. It's a landmark day for digital cinema. Also, no doubt there will many more buyers/users adopting the SI-2K. Well done Silicon. An astounding feat.

Jack Walker March 12th, 2009 10:44 AM

While considering this film, its production techniques and its style, it is worthwhile to look back at the remarkable "Battle of Algiers":
Battaglia di Algeri, La (1966)

A comparison and contrast of the two films is enlightening, I suggest. I believe both films are significant milestones for a variety of reasons.

Jack Zhang April 5th, 2009 12:50 AM

I have to say, just saw the film on BD, and all the aspects of the film were god-like.

Though there was only one shot with rolling shutter artifacts from camera flash, it doesn't detract from the film at all.

Jack Zhang April 10th, 2009 02:00 PM

Yup, and I assume I was watching it in it's native resolution (unless they used anamorphic lenses). I'm certain if it was a digital cropping to make the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the Blu-ray is it's native resolution.