Recommended Workflow for AVID at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Recommended Workflow for AVID

When it comes to AVID I am a total retard.

Does anyone have recommendations on a workflow for SI2K origination to be imported into AVID systems. I understand it requires a conversion from CFHD files.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi

Do you want offline in avid or....?
I could help with the offline procedure as we have done FCP and SpeedGrade online for quite many projects this way.

-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Kaspar.

Thank you for your response and advice.

We are offering the SI2K's for a local movie project which is also considering RED, Panavision Genesis and 35mm motion picture film, maybe even shooting more than one format.

During our discussions the director mentioned AVID so I wanted to be aware of what needed to be done to get SI2K files into an AVID workflow, such as which to use? .avi or .mov files for conversion to AVID files. (DnxHD I hink).

I don't know if they will offline the edit or want to take in the actual footage. They may yet do it in FCP. Is Speedgrade available for Macs now?

Last edited by Bob Hart; September 10th, 2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: error
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi

This seems like the position for You to ask in what format do the expect the footage from you. Avid has an ingest program that "SHOULD" be compatible with cineform IF you have CF codec installed (http://techblog.cineform.com/?p=1445).
Try NOT to give advice how to do this, because they should have somebody taking care of technical side of this - because the formats you mentioned CF is de-Facto easiest to get into avid. But if You start giving advice it will be Your fault if something does not work as expected.

Hope this helps You to avid some pit-holes I have been stumbling on ;)
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Kaspar.

Thanks for that word of caution about the pitfalls, very much appreciated.

Where we are in Western Australia, the SI2K is a new adventure. Potential clients are mostly underfunded or we are doing our own pre-production promotional trailers for our own projects to attract investors.

The dilemma is giving enough people the pleasing result in order to build some credibility for the SI2K system but not take over their responsibiity for archiving and post-production resources.

The SI2K has taken off over East but people are still only gnawing at the edges here and still dancing with the RED One.

I will look up that link. Thanks again.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Anyone have any new advice?

Thanks all for your assistance in this and the timecode thread.

Does anyone have any info to add that has come along since this thread went to sleep?

I assume from cineform's techblog things have not changed relating to timecode not travelling in the conversion to an AVID-usable video file.

Things have not changed related to sending timecode into the camera recorder unit via USB.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Trustee

Bob, just a thought - why not download Avid demo for free and see for yourself.

Also I understand that Avid has student program that sells the same Avid NLE for some ridiculously low price, I think below $300 for students. Might be worth checking into that also if you have a fellow student who could order it.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Alex.

Thanks for that. I tried Avid free in the DV days. Now it might not be an option because of the horsepower/available budget issue.

I'm still running a 3Ghz PC with XP Pro, and Premiere Pro 2 on it and it battles a bit these days. Actually gone down for the count after kieve.exe got it. The original install of verything was fine. As long as did not apply looks and effects, I could run two vid tracks and more audio ttracks.

The two new clean installs on new drives have been as slow as a wet week. So it may be time to upgrade when I can afford it.

I shall have to hunt down a student.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Trustee

Bob, version 5 of MC, due out in June, should be able to read Cineform files w/o any transcoding. You may have to apply some kind of a LUT, but I believe that can be done in Cineform's First Light program.
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Peter.

Thanks for that. I'll pass the info on. Do you know if the new MC will pull in the SI2K camera timecode numbers?
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Trustee

Bob, I would think so but I don't know for sure. Another option is to transcode using MetaFuze (a free Avid app).

Here is a link to the area on the Avid forum where I think you'll get the most informed responses:
MetaFuze Forum - Avid Video Community
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Peter.

Thanks for the added info. More grist for the mill and I will pass it on.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K